View Full Version : Late season repairs

nightfighter
09-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Pulled the Rainshadow 1088 out of truck last night after a night of pilot error and equipment failures.... Lost the ring out of tip top guide trying unsuccessfully to free a Salty's blurple needle with glow eyes from the rocks in a big surf.... So while it is on the rod lathe, I need to do something about the void I've worn though the cork tape when casting. Any suggestions? This will be just to get it through the Derby. I will attempt to replace the whole grip above the reel seat this winter.

JeffH
09-18-2009, 01:18 PM
That looks like a candidate for a little patch cut to size to bring it up to the same level and a couple of wraps of electricians tape over the top.

luds
09-18-2009, 02:08 PM
I would stop by CMS and pick up a 1201m. :uhuh:

Saltheart
09-19-2009, 01:52 PM
To get through the season just peel the cork off then put a wrap of cork back on (you'll need about 2 feet tops) then use black tape to hold the ends of the new cork tape down.

After fishing is over peel off the black tape , taper the front end of the cork wrap with a razor blade to a fairly round taper and wrap with D size Nylon. Start at the blank and wrap up the taper , cut and pull the end through and then start about 1/8 inch in on the first wrap and wrap a second layer up the taper again. Apply finish. For the end near the seat just wrap up and down for the two layers ( no need to cut and start on the same end becaiuse there is no taper) and apply finish.

I assume you know how to replace the tip. If not , just ask.

GattaFish
09-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Electrical tape over the the spot,, Pull it tight, then Cut,,, A dab of zap a gap to keep the end from peeling and back to fishing,,,

nightfighter
09-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I ended up using cork tape from a butt section I had cut off another rod. Wrapped it on top of the old, full length of the foregrip. Electrical tape will be enough for the rest of the year. Haven't used it yet, but can't really feel the void underneath.