View Full Version : Strangest sight saturday night sky CT/RI shore

ivanputski
09-20-2009, 01:31 PM
was fishing napatree saturday night, and saw the strangest thing I have witnessed in years... glad there were others there seeing the same thing... coming from the west (CT) over the horizon, in no particular formation, were dozens and dozens and dozens of planes... very erratic formation, but they just kept coming... i was afraid at first they were missles . no strobe lights, just a constant orange light on each one. (who knows these days...) I lost count after about 70, but there were more. anyone else see this? it was about 10pm. perhaps our military moving planes? a seriously strange sight... *for the record, I dont drink or do drugs... never have!!! anyone else out that night in the area see the same thing?

Swimmer
09-20-2009, 01:35 PM
:rotflmao:

vanstaal
09-20-2009, 01:42 PM
my buddy told me there were guys on the VHF radio going crazy about that so u were not alone on that :smash:

quick decision
09-20-2009, 02:28 PM
wow!

Rappin Mikey
09-20-2009, 02:30 PM
A group of my friends saw something very weird in the sky at the Race Sat night too.

ivanputski
09-20-2009, 03:46 PM
that newspaper looks like a great photoshop job... I never said I thought it was UFOs... but heck if it didn't look like something out of a movie!!!! I would really like to know what it was... if they were planes, where were close to 100 planes going in a long, sloppy formation?

Thumper
09-20-2009, 03:47 PM
nasa is saying they launched a rocket

ivanputski
09-20-2009, 03:53 PM
100 rockets??? they were very distinct individual lights, in a long row and small clusters, over the course of 15 minutes...travelling from west to east... planes, but not jet engines.... no strobe lights though... steady, single orange light on each... looked similar to the beginning of the Iraq war when they were launching a crap load of scud missles...

redcrbbr
09-20-2009, 03:54 PM
saw fire works last night, looked like they were comming from block island. didn't see what you are talking about

RIJIMMY
09-20-2009, 03:57 PM
im going to let Spence and Fishbones respond to this, we saw something very strange in the sky saturday night. Not what you described, but something very odd.

spence
09-20-2009, 04:15 PM
If it was around 10 then it certainly wasn't the NASA rocket that caused our phenomenon, nor the Block Island fireworks.

-spence

nightfighter
09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
So must be Bush's fault???:huh:

:rotf2:

Brian L
09-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Putski- A friend and I saw it as well on Saturday night. I was in my Boat in front of Charlestown beach with a friend and saw something in the southern sky over Block. It was some time between 8 and 9 PM. My friend called back this morning and mentioned that he read that NASA was doing some testing that was seen as far north as New Hampshire. Didn't see the multiple lights/planes you describe, as the boat was on the trailer by quarter to 10 and I wasn't watching the sky.

Crazy looking %$%$%$%$. Bright lights with big bellows of smoke/vapor trails. It looked to rise vertically in large steps vs the steady horizontal flight of a plane. I can't recall ever seeing anything remotely like it in my life. We only saw what looked like a single rocket/ship/plane/flying saucer, etc..

After 15 minutes, we decided that WWWIII wasn't starting and got back to fishing. My friend was reeling a 15lb fish to the boat and had something very large chase it right up to the side of the boat. Whatever it was missed the fish and slammed into the side/bottom of the boat. Boat's painted black on the bottom and it was a dark night, wonder if whatever it was never saw the boat. Whatever it was, (shark, seal, alien sea monster, etc..) moved my 18 footer enough to almost knock me out of it. We were sufficiently creeped out for the next hour to say the least.

scottw
09-20-2009, 04:37 PM
NASA launches rocket, dozens report strange lights
(AP) – 17 hours ago

WALLOPS ISLAND, Va. — NASA says it successfully launched a rocket in Virginia as part of an experiment, and the blast may have caused dozens of people to report seeing strange lights in the sky.

The space agency said it launched the Black Brant XII on Saturday evening to gather data on the highest clouds in the Earth's atmosphere. About the time of the launch, dozens of people in the Northeast started calling local television stations to report seeing strange lights.

The calls came from as far away as Boston, which is about 380 miles northeast of the launch site.

The rocket is designed to create an artificial cloud. NASA hopes the experiment will provide information on the formation and properties of noctilucent clouds, which occur at high altitudes.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Brian L
09-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Ahh, the artificial cloud! Makes sense now. There was a big cloud in the sky after it burned off.

GattaFish
09-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Information on the formation and properties of noctilucent clouds, which occur at high altitudes.

Those Clouds are made of Ice crystals. What else they need to know,,,,?? :uhuh::uhuh::uhuh:

Guess Obama forgot about the number of people out of jobs in this country and said what the heck lets blow a few hundred million checking out some clouds,,,, Guess the had a few to many beers in the White House...:buds::buds::buds::buds:

JohnR
09-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Crazy looking %$%$%$%$. Bright lights with big bellows of smoke/vapor trails. It looked to rise vertically in large steps vs the steady horizontal flight of a plane. I can't recall ever seeing anything remotely like it in my life. We only saw what looked like a single rocket/ship/plane/flying saucer, etc..

Didn't think it was a flying saucer or :alien: but what I saw last night, looking a little north of Block (I was well north of Block along the bay) was a single thing, bright red, constant, and big. It was certainly not an anti-collision light from an aircraft and it wasn't blinking. It rose up in a slight arc similar to what a flare would do then seemed to move horizontally. But it did not look like a flare and did not drop as a regular flare or drift as a parachute retarded flare might. It actually seemed to have real lateral motion to it.

In hindsight maybe I did also see what Spence / RIJimmy was seeing as that too was south of Block from my vantage point.

Brian L
09-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Sounds like you saw the same thing I saw, John, but from a different angle.

numbskull
09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Met an old guy this past week who used to be a military radar tech. He had worked for 15-20 years on one of those huge radar planes that flew along the eastern seaboard. As a joke I asked him if he ever spotted a UFO. To my surprise he said yes. It was not all that uncommon he said for them to get an unidentified radar target out there, scramble fighters to intercept it, and then have the fighters be unable to get close to it. He certainly believed they existed. I didn't, until of course I met Sauerkraut, who clearly has been penetrated by aliens somewhere along the line.

striperman36
09-20-2009, 06:29 PM
It's true even with afterburners, they would move even visually ways that a plane could not.
Thats all I can say about,

jredfly
09-20-2009, 07:22 PM
I was suprised to see this thread. I was fishing the Mass South Shore last night betwwen 11:00 and 2:00, don't recall exactly what time it was but at one point the night sky flashed behind us like a street light just popped or exploded. We looked to the sky and you could see the concentrated flash. One of the guys said it was just a shooting star and I said I have seen shooting stars before runnig accross the sky but nothing like this concentrated bursting flash. We just decided to accept the shooting star theory and kept fishing.

bart
09-20-2009, 07:43 PM
saw some weird stuff last night as well...

Raven
09-20-2009, 08:00 PM
So must be Bush's fault???:huh:

interesting that you'd say that Ross on this particular thread
only because..............

Bush had plans to have us return to the Moon by 2020
yet NASA has since scrapped those plans saying it was way too expensive and not feasible....

i find that to be very ODD !!!

that and i don't know if anyone read about this....

but all Meteors and Moon rocks have been
re- classified as TOP secret....

so it sure makes you wonder what they are up to

that and the fact that the space shuttle has a HUGE
cargo area for taking things into space
but what they are taking into space is usually classified

Rob Rockcrawler
09-20-2009, 08:02 PM
If they are going to create clouds couldnt they do it on the full moon. Last night close to midnight i saw the brightest shooting star i have even seen on the canal. Looked blue and lasted for atleast 5 seconds, EXTREMELY bright, followed by another smaller one.

Gobi
09-20-2009, 08:41 PM
I was fishing in Matunuck, looked up and saw this cloud. Bizarre to say the least.

Ahh, the artificial cloud! Makes sense now. There was a big cloud in the sky after it burned off.

UPSmanMatt
09-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Saw the same thing from Jimmytown last night. Almost bright enough to read by.

rizzo
09-21-2009, 04:53 AM
I also saw the cloud, I thought it was some sort of solar flare or super nova...

nightprowler
09-21-2009, 08:14 AM
YouTube - NASA Black Brant XII / CARE Launch 9-19-2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb45uBaj2Mc)

On The Rocks
09-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Was on the south side of MTK Sat night...saw a bright white light that separated into 2 distinct sections and then slowly dispersed into a cloudy looking dull light...approx 8-9 pm.

Vogt
09-21-2009, 08:54 AM
YouTube - NASA Black Brant XII / CARE Launch 9-19-2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb45uBaj2Mc)

Thats it. Saw it while near Watch Hill Saturday night.

Islander77
09-21-2009, 10:11 AM
The island fireworks were from a wedding enjoyed watching them well the flashes any way and sounds while we fished the west side of the island..... None of us ever noticed the lights.. 2 of us were going on 4 hours sleep and other was to busy fishing and enjoying bein on the island....

ivanputski
09-21-2009, 02:43 PM
that cloud thing isnt even close to what we saw... like i said... 70-100 PLANES... I know what i saw... strange, yet different sight...

Islander77
09-22-2009, 09:48 AM
All I know is we were at the CG station on BI around then and there was a Helocopter going ape%$%$%$%$ all over the island searching....

WoodyCT
09-22-2009, 11:20 AM
A friend told me a bunch of WWII fighter plane buffs have been on LI and in Groton CT last week doing air shows and reuniting veteran pilots. Maybe they were out doing a night flight?

Or maybe it was an all out assault by the little green guys looking for VeeMike?:shocked:

jredfly
09-22-2009, 04:08 PM
You don't just learn about fishing on S-B. I was talking to my brainiac son (otherwise known as baitboy) about what I saw and he thought it was a super nova just like Rizzo. I had no idea what a super nova was before the other night. Very cool! May I add he gets his smarts from his Mom.

JohnR
09-22-2009, 04:26 PM
You don't just learn about fishing on S-B. I was talking to my brainiac son (otherwise known as baitboy) about what I saw and he thought it was a super nova just like Rizzo. I had no idea what a super nova was before the other night. Very cool! May I add he gets his smarts from his Mom.

Ken_J
09-22-2009, 10:19 PM
I was at Charlestown Beach and saw it at about 8:30 or so I guess. My friend, Eel Guy Jr., and I were pretty freaked out.

fishgolf
09-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Hey jredfly;
were you at an inlet on the south cape shore?
My son and I were, and saw what you saw - we would have been across the inlet from you. Quick conversation across the water with you.

That was about the biggest shooting star I've ever seen.
Saw one like it from Weekapaug about 10 years ago. The whole ocean was lit up from Block Island over to Montauk...