View Full Version : Coywolf

PRBuzz
09-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator
‘Coywolf’ hybrids fill open evolutionary niche in northeast U.S.

New DNA evidence reveals that coyotes have bred with wolves in the the northeastern United States, turning mice-eating coyotes into much larger animals with a hunger for big prey, such as deer. The resulting "coywolves" may, however, benefit ecosystems, since they appear to be filling niches once occupied by wolves that were eradicated by humans.

Question: will they learn to eat seals?

source and more info:
Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator - Discovery.com- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32976657/ns/technology_and_science-science/)

Karl F
09-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I have heard of this mix several times.. and was wondering if some of the local 'yotes had the mix, as some are well over the upper weight and height limit, of the coyote, or coydogs...

and to answer your question, YES, if the oppurtunity arises, they will kill seals.... Have seen the bloody aftermath in person, near Pochet Island, complete with tracks, and a local beach go-er, fishermen, photographer, witnessed and shot pics a few years back, of a coyote belly crawl to a seal pup that had hauled out for a rest, and got to be that 'yote's breakfast, due to the stealth tactics of the 'yote...

Jay Horton, if you read this, please post them pics!!!

also have heard of these incedents, eyewitnessed, from folks that hit the beaches in the off season...

eastendlu
09-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Coywolf =the new landshark:rotf2:

Saltheart
09-23-2009, 04:27 PM
It all sounds great but if they pack up you'll have to start carrying to go fishing at night.

PRBuzz
09-23-2009, 04:41 PM
BTW: the article also talked about the Coydog! Apparently these are much more common than the Coywolf, more so in the SE.

Saltheart
09-23-2009, 08:34 PM
I always worry when I see a coyote in a residential area in broad daylite. I've seen it on a few different occasions. There has to be something wrong with it to do that and of course rabbies is the first thing that comes to my mind.

I wonder how their behavior changes when they interbreed with the more domesticated dogs or the wilder wolves?