View Full Version : Working around fishing.....

Brian L
09-24-2009, 05:37 AM
If I'm like anyone else on this board, I'm sure I'm not the only one who tries as hard as possible to scheme as much fishing time into a week as possible.

I'm in sales, so my schedule leaves me some flexibility as far as time and place go. I'm finding myself scheduling more and more early and late appointments somewhere near the water so I can quickly jump into the surf, a pond, or my boat before or after my meetings. I told a client last week about what I do and he exclaimed, "jeezus, you don't fish around work, you work around fishing." I laughed, as it's probably true at this point.

Since we're always looking for new ideas, what schemes do you employ to maximize your time on the water??

quick decision
09-24-2009, 06:13 AM
i keep a rod a plug bag in the car

The Dad Fisherman
09-24-2009, 06:28 AM
The new job killed my before work fishing....gotta be in the office by 6:30 so 1st light would just be starting and I'd be leaving.

Not a lot of fishing this year....had other things going on

JohnR
09-24-2009, 06:29 AM
I suck. Work has killed my fishing this year more than any previous.

Need Powerball

Clogston29
09-24-2009, 06:33 AM
The new job killed my before work fishing....gotta be in the office by 6:30 so 1st light would just be starting and I'd be leaving.

at first light, its time to leave anyway :hf1:

i try to work work around fishing when possible. for example i put in an extra hour yesterday and will again today so I can come in a bit late tomorrow.

striperman36
09-24-2009, 06:34 AM
I can at least see the water now. Haven't been able to work in the fishing part though.
Live to far from the water to make happen. Once the kid is in high school it may work better.

spinncognito
09-24-2009, 06:46 AM
Being in management and on salary, my fishing time is is ultra-flexible so long as my staff shows up and is competent. I am fortunate to have a good staff and an undrestanding boss who knows that my work schedule coincides with the tide chart. Living and working within 2 minutes of the ocean kinda helps too... :uhuh:

JFigliuolo
09-24-2009, 06:56 AM
I work late nights I fish, leave straight from work so I can roll in late the next day.

JakeF
09-24-2009, 07:35 AM
I have to work an average of 55 hours a week, usually at the office from 7 am until 6pm or later. When I get home from work it's family time until the kids are in bed. By the time I get out the door it's usually around 10pm. During the week, I'll fish until 3 or 4am usually, then catch a couple hours of sleep before work. Weekends I can stay out a little longer, but still usually try to get home before the kids wake up so that I don't get heat for letting fishing get in the way of family time. It's a balancing act, and for me, sleep is what gets sacrificed. I'll catch up on the sleep after the bass leave....

fishbones
09-24-2009, 08:39 AM
In my last job, I worked a lot of hours but was on the road a lot. I could schedule myself to finish up my day down the Cape and head out during the week a lot.

Now I work less hours, but am almost always in the office so it's tougher to head out after work. I get home, go for a quick run, hang out with the family and get my kid to bed. By then, I've usually lost the motivation to drive 45 minutes to fish. One good thing is that I can sneak away from time to time and no one cares as long as I'm caught up. Today, I'm leaving at 11 to go down the Cape and head out on the boat to chase some funny fish and hopefully find some bass.

This year was tough for me fishing wise. I didn't get out nearly as much as I would have liked. Sometimes life just gets in the way. It does make me appreciate each and every time I do get out, though.

The Dad Fisherman
09-24-2009, 08:43 AM
at first light, its time to leave anyway :hf1:

i try to work work around fishing when possible. for example i put in an extra hour yesterday and will again today so I can come in a bit late tomorrow.

I usually like to go about an hour past 1st light....its been pretty good for me usually...after that I'm done though.

Where I work now they are ultra picky on time worked so I can't bank an hour here or there. One day I came in 15 minutes late....so I stayed an extra 15 minutes to cover it, but just put down my normal shift on my time card....got a talking to about mis-reporting my hours.Re-freikin-diculous

Bocephus
09-24-2009, 09:25 AM
As long as Im not late (or getting caught coming in late), Im good to go. However, being a computer tech is boring, and Ive been caught asleep while the pc reboots....at the users desk...by the user....with the screensaver on, so it was obvious to the person that I was in that position for a few minutes. It was funny to one guy, but the next time it happened the lady wasnt impressed and I had to explain it was the fish, not booze, that did me in. If I didnt fix her problem, she probably would have reported me. But that hasnt happened in a couple yrs, thankfully.

bassballer
09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
i eventually just moved to Newport.

tynan19
09-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Jewelry helps me.

5/0
09-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Jewelry helps me.

LOL,this has worked for me as well:love:don't forget women don't keep tabs on points,in other words good Dog days expire so use them when you get-em!

Work is a killer for me,Physical labor and trouble shooting have to be on my toes or I could get killed,most of the time I have to be on the job site by 0700 I seldom know where I'll have to be in the State.I get lucky sometimes I'll run a project and be there for weeks and I can work around that & sometimes I'll have to shoot to 5 different locations in one day ranging from Fort Devens in Harvard to Salisbury MA or Warren Rhode Island. travel time eats up allot of time,so the bottom line is I try to plan my addiction around my work schedule and plan for the right tides.

Fishing week days is ok because it doesn't infringe on family time I mostly go when the kids are asleep or early AM & just sleep deprivation is the only draw back,fishing on the weekends is secondary due to family,kids soccer,gymnastics and other social events,but if I do go I'll be back by 0900 unless it rains and I know the kids will not have soccer:fishin:

PRBuzz
09-24-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm totally flexible: unemployed! Take today for example, the weather forecast was iffy but by 7AM I realized they blew another one. I was on the water by 8:30am and what a glorious day, I think the word is glass? I didn't see a single boat (active) during my return across Buzzards Bay from Woods Hole to Fairhaven. Fishing was slow but boated an albie, blue and black bass.

ProfessorM
09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Told my boss a long time ago the major reason I work for you is you are on the Cape. I really know that i have it good. I work nites from 6 till 12:00 and no Fridays. Thus I can use the boat during pretty much any day during the week as long as I am home by 3 to get daughter off bus so everyday is possible. The sleep thing is the killer and it isn't getting any easier the older I get. Believe me I know I am spoiled.

Finaddict
09-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Timing for fishing this year has been really tough for me ... and I cannot function in the office sleep deprived, so I try to do it nights and weekends when I don't have my daughter.

But it's been a killer year for me time wise for fishing ... things are opening up ... but I typically have something to do almost every night after work ...

tattoobob
09-24-2009, 05:40 PM
I had to choose between fishing or work and work won

I have lost a couple of jobs due to to much fishing/time off

bills need paying so work wins

goosechase
09-24-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm in sales too, have a lot of flexibility, I can walk to the beach from my house in about 30 seconds and my wife thinks I'm crazy that I schedule any time off around the tides so I can go on the boat or fish from the beach.

Brian L
09-25-2009, 06:09 AM
LOL,this has worked for me as well:love:don't forget women don't keep tabs on points,in other words good Dog days expire so use them when you get-em!

Work is a killer for me,Physical labor and trouble shooting have to be on my toes or I could get killed,most of the time I have to be on the job site by 0700 I seldom know where I'll have to be in the State.I get lucky sometimes I'll run a project and be there for weeks and I can work around that & sometimes I'll have to shoot to 5 different locations in one day ranging from Fort Devens in Harvard to Salisbury MA or Warren Rhode Island. travel time eats up allot of time,so the bottom line is I try to plan my addiction around my work schedule and plan for the right tides.

Fishing week days is ok because it doesn't infringe on family time I mostly go when the kids are asleep or early AM & just sleep deprivation is the only draw back,fishing on the weekends is secondary due to family,kids soccer,gymnastics and other social events,but if I do go I'll be back by 0900 unless it rains and I know the kids will not have soccer:fishin:

My daughter just started weekend (Sat.) soccer. It's an adjustment, though not so bad. I've gone to more shore fishing late night Friday night into Sat morning to deal with it. I fish Sunday morning by boat, getting home around noon or so, unless I do the late Sat night too. Got a Pats game on Sunday, so I think it's late night beach fishing all weekend for me.

american spirit
09-25-2009, 11:19 AM
fish at night when everyone is sleeping. then coffee to get you through the day.

in a perfect world my next move would be to a seaside town. decreased fishing commute time would allow me to get out much more frequently. it's tough to drive 2 hours round trip to fish your spots.

quick decision
09-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Im in sales and I could be anywhere from New Hampshire to the cape. I keep a rod and bag in the car.

5/0
09-26-2009, 07:01 PM
My daughter just started weekend (Sat.) soccer. It's an adjustment, though not so bad. I've gone to more shore fishing late night Friday night into Sat morning to deal with it. I fish Sunday morning by boat, getting home around noon or so, unless I do the late Sat night too. Got a Pats game on Sunday, so I think it's late night beach fishing all weekend for me.

I dunno how the soccer Fields are your way but any chance of rain & our Fields close due horrible run off and poor draining issues,so I luck out and can plan on hitting the Canal and staying for sun up plugging......I can also be a Hero and bring home Donuts for the kids and a coffee for the Bride it's a win win situation!

RI Plugger
09-26-2009, 07:25 PM
I have been working in boston everyday (from SOCO RI makes 13 Hour days) so, no time to fish and no time to see my kids and wife, so

I QUIT,

Then they hired me back as a contractor for tue,wed, and thur.

So now I am fishing my 4 day weekend, with time for the famliy.

Love it, but a little short on cash.

Slingah
09-26-2009, 08:20 PM
I schedule work around fishing in spring and fall quit a bit. Sometimes even plan on doing certain jobs in certain towns during certain tides/weeks....one of the only perks of being self-employed.