View Full Version : Looking for an aluminum v-hull

animal
09-24-2009, 09:05 PM
So for a month or so,I've been all over CL,looking for a 16 ft boat.I've been watching RI,MA,CT,NH,and Maine,religously,with occasional jaunts to NY,NJ.
I could have had 3 dozen 14's,but I'm really looking for a 16.
Starcraft
Lund
Lowe
Sylvan
Blah
Blah
Blah
Bl.......
Anyways,if anyone knows of one for sale,with a motor,and trailer,for around $1500,couldja lemmee know?My eyes are killing me from the damned CL.
Thanks,Bobby.

tynan19
09-24-2009, 09:18 PM
16 1/2 foot mirrocraft 50hp w/trailer (http://worcester.craigslist.org/boa/1357250728.html)

animal
09-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks,Case.If I was a smart man,I'd have posted that I'm looking for a tiller rather than a console.(Less to go wrong,and more room in the boat)However,I'm not often accused of being smart.Thanks again.:wall:

BigBo
09-25-2009, 10:10 AM
animal;

16 ft starcraft aluminum with a 25 hp (http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/1391493283.html)

clambo
09-25-2009, 02:23 PM
try looking on aluminum alloy boats. It's a fourum for alloy owners.

animal
09-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks,guys.Still looking.:)

animal
09-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Looks like I may have found it.I'll see tomorrow.:drool:

animal
09-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Got it.Picked it up Saturday.Engine is a bear to start,but runs pretty well.General consencus calls it between a 56-58.:tooth:Has forward,and reverse.
I filled the boat with water,and no leaks,so hopefully,I'll splash it tomorrow,and find out for real.:chased:Keep your phones on guys,I might be calling for help.:uhuh:
Thanks for the help,guys.

striperman36
09-28-2009, 06:42 PM
sweet motor lasts forever

animal
09-28-2009, 07:06 PM
sweet motor lasts forever

Anything you could tell me about it,would be appreciated.I've been told it's a 56,a 57,and a 58.:confused::)

Gary
09-28-2009, 07:56 PM
That appears to be a 56 or 57, Are the decals painted on if so itsa 56 if there a plastic puck itsa 57. if ya can give me the numbers off of a freeze plug in the powerhead I can narrow it down. Those bigtwins are great old motors, just very thirsty. I know them upside down backwards and forwards. My buddy and I have about 20 between the two of us. If you need more info PM me and ill shoot you my number

Gary

Gary
09-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Also if it has a bronze prop DO NOT RUN IT. Those bronze units are worth close to a G to the right person....

animal
09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately,the prop is not bronze.:smash:
Gary,I plan to fish this boat hard.In order to do it,I need some serious confidence in my engine.More than likely,I'll replace it with one about 45-50 yrs newer.:)I've heard there might be a collectors value for the motor,but I don't really know.A two or three yr old Merc,Honda,etc,etc,would help me sleep better.

ProfessorM
09-29-2009, 08:11 AM
nice boat. Make? Is there a floor in it? Maybe get rid of at least one of those seats. I canned my middle one in my 14' and made moving around so much easier. Nice find and good luck with it.

animal
09-29-2009, 10:13 AM
It's a Starcraft 16.It's got a halfassed attempt at a floor,and the seats are pretty fugly.I think I'll rip them all out,and replace them.The boxes under the seats are steel(why?)they are rusted to hell.I think I'll replace them with wooden boxes for storage,and use the pink styrofoan foundation insulation under the new floor for floatation.As suggested,the middle seat is probably a goner.I'm thinking of building a couple sideways(the long way)benches on the gunnels from the first to the third seats,which open for storage.
Suggestions?

ProfessorM
09-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Here is some floor info from a year or so ago, may help. The paint Steve, Capesams, suggested is holding up great. I added a little sand type stuff in it for traction.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/boat-fishing-boating/40678-tin-boat-floor.html

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/stripertalk/57284-mosquito-fleet.html

Floor is a must. Also remove as many seats as possible to open it up for casting and just to be able to move about.PIA stepping over the seats all the time, especially if you have an Albie on:uhuh:, but you also have to make sure you don't weaken the integrity of the boat as the seats add strength to the sides so will have to experiment. I have one in the back and one in the front. Have fun and let us see it when you are done. Here is another post about how fun tins are. Paul

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/stripertalk/49702-mosquito-fleet.html

fish4striper
10-01-2009, 08:02 AM
It's a Starcraft 16.It's got a halfassed attempt at a floor,and the seats are pretty fugly.I think I'll rip them all out,and replace them.The boxes under the seats are steel(why?)they are rusted to hell.I think I'll replace them with wooden boxes for storage,and use the pink styrofoan foundation insulation under the new floor for floatation.As suggested,the middle seat is probably a goner.I'm thinking of building a couple sideways(the long way)benches on the gunnels from the first to the third seats,which open for storage.
Suggestions?

mount a swivel rod holder in the bow ,you'll be all set for CCB :grins:

MarshCappa
10-01-2009, 09:00 AM
I love that Mosquito fleet thread! Awesome pictures. I haven't been out on mine for a month and it sucks! My new jeep needs a hitch installed. Anybody wanna pick me up and take my skiff out?!:wavey: