View Full Version : Fast Police Boats

fishsmith
02-07-2003, 10:57 AM
No outrunning the Boston Police in the harbor.

Globe article:
http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/boat02072003.htm

the boats in action:
http://www.interceptboats.com/Pages/nc2702.html

JohnR
02-08-2003, 07:52 AM
I frieked the first time I saw one, printed with US Navy on the side or something...

These are built over by Hewitts Cove. Interesting looking cats...

Team Rock On
02-08-2003, 11:12 AM
I saw one a few days ago trailering down REt. 53 in Weymouth. Nigerian Navy or something like that. These things look a little eerie idleing down the Back River with the crew in camy's. I guess they do some training in the area. I tried to bait one into a friendly race one evening but they just smiled and waved. How fast do they go? No speed was written in the specs. Figures the goverment uses those 300 hp Mercs. I hear they break down frequently and use alotta gas! No warranty either.

19Mako
02-09-2003, 01:48 AM
The State Police has 2 of these also, it'll go 75mph, mounted on the bow will be a M60, it will be equipped with night vision heat seeking cameras. It's designed to chase down and take out vessels by shooting out the engine..... that's the only way to stop a boat threatening the LNG tankers and the harbors.

I saw a training video, the crew were strapped in like Nascar racers.

Striper SniperX
02-09-2003, 01:59 AM
Little Story on Police boats:

We were pulled over in our 26' Searay one time last summer over near quonset point. We had to be going 50 mph and the Police boat just zoomed out infront of us with the power-hauler (radio) "Reduce Throttle"- i was amazed it could go that fast. :eek5:

They pulled us over to tell us our Bow Registration numbers were to Lightly colored and to replace them w/ dark color asap... (How they seen our bow numbers at 50 mph is strange- i think they spotted them when we was docked over at Harborside and just felt like following & bothering us :D )

I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of them 75mph police boats- but this one sure toped 50.

Mike

19Mako
02-09-2003, 02:02 AM
hey John and Van,
I broke down and got a slip for the upcoming season. I'm over at Landfall Marina, swing by and we'll jig herring off the transom before heading out :)

Anthony

JohnR
02-09-2003, 08:33 AM
swing by and we'll jig herring off the transom before heading out You mean Me & Van will jig the hering while you'll jig the skunk, right :D ...

Seriously, you'll love the convenience of the slip. You forget about making the payment after the first week!

Team Rock On
02-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Welcome to Landfall ( actually Seachain now). If you have a 19' Mako your boat will probably be in the shallow water. You might have to walk about 100' down the dock to the dropoff. Load up on the smallest Sabiki's you can find. The place is loaded with them. In the spring some of the best striper fishing is right off the dock. Remember though, no fishing off the dock! I've caught fisk up to 30 lbs. off the dock, plus lost quite a few on the pilings.

Mr. Kav
02-10-2003, 08:25 AM
where is landfall ( seachain )marina?

Team Rock On
02-10-2003, 09:25 AM
right next to Hewitts Cove across from Tern Harbor on the Back River.

Van
02-10-2003, 09:58 AM
Is it the one on the same side as the condos, or the otherside ??

Or is Tern harbor on the condo side?

John:
I did try for herring there a couple of times and got the SKUNK !!
I got one ar Pemberton...

So i said the hell with it and went out for live pollack and macks.

Mr. Kav
02-10-2003, 10:28 AM
hey van how do you do with live pollocks?

Van
02-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Kav:

They work great, they are very hardy, so they stay alive in my well all day. (if they don't get eaten first!). I credit them for many big bass last year. Just can't beat a live bait no matter what it is.
I can catch them right where I bass fish too.

They are around most of the summer, long after the macks have left.

They go straight to the bottom when fished, if you let them.

Real easy to catch, sabiki's work, but I prefer a small chunk of bait.

Once we are fishing again, we'll go to a couple of my favorite spots to get em'.:D

Team Rock On
02-10-2003, 11:02 AM
I always found they hit the small diamond jig at the end of they sabiki rig. A few years ago we caught them on the surface during the summer months, but mostly in deeper water the last couple of years. Never tried bait for them but a little sliver of pogy skin on each sabiki works wonders for the BB Herring!

Mr. Kav
02-10-2003, 11:04 AM
sounds good, i used them a few times last year and i was curious how you did with them.

Van
02-10-2003, 11:24 AM
TRO:

Do you fish in the bahstan habaa area alot, I remember you from the MSBA tourny last year.

I tried quite a few times for herring and got 1 (pemberton),
I did use sabiki, but no fish...

maybe I'm in the wrong spot or wrong time,,, any help ?????

Team Rock On
02-10-2003, 11:34 AM
I usually fish outside the harbor. If I fish inside it means it;s either blowing NE over 25, or I'm sitting in my slip. Pemberton is a great spot but you have to pull in tight to the pier. Nowadays there is always someone fishing off it. We used to dock the boat there, get a bite to eat and fish for herring off the pier. Same as with Landfall, the herring are usually in the shade of the boats/pier.

Van
02-10-2003, 12:11 PM
I am usually outside also, I was looking at your bow for a few hours at a certain ledge last year..;)

I guess I have to keep trying those pier spots til I find them.
Thanks.

19Mako
02-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Shallow water?!!! I hope that's not the case. The dude told me it's in the deep end by the lobster boats. Currently #102 but that might change to the mid 90's.

John R, actually I don't really care who jigs em up, I'll just fish em for ya :) Watcha mean no fishing off the docks?

Team Rock On
02-10-2003, 02:52 PM
19Mako- you are about 50' away from the drop off. At low tide you will have about 5' of water or so.

Van
02-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Anthony, how much per foot ????

19Mako
02-12-2003, 02:06 PM
$98 foot, I'm right across the first lobster boat

Van
02-12-2003, 03:08 PM
We will have to meet up out there this season.
Maybe get a "floatilla" of all local SB members !!!

And take over a fishing spot just for us....;)
With live baot !!! so......

You gotta let me know when those herring are there.
I have not had much luck with them so far...

Mr. Kav
02-13-2003, 07:46 AM
i am in on the fishing raft up