View Full Version : Its over for me

Saltheart
11-20-2000, 11:22 AM
Well we froze our butts off this weekend and thats it for me. Maybe a roadtrip if I get lucky but its too cold for casting practice anymore.
It'll be a good off season this year. Lots of projects palnned from rod building to jig making to teaser tying to a putting together a new surf bag. Havea 7 foot St Croic one piece to be built into a conventional schoolie rod and a 9 foot Sabre 1089 to be built as a canal jigging stick. Will be making about 600 jigs in 2,3,4 and 5 OZ sizes for the Ditch. . Still got tons of 1 and 1.5 OZ balls and shad heads from last year that were painted and set aside for bucktailing. The 1 OZ balls are really nice off the wall or on the beach when tied up with white bucktail and a short curltail grub attached.
This years teasers will be heavy on larger ones like a herring fly since we have a lot of smaller ones left over. I'm going to make some on bigger hooks too (4/0) this year.
My old surfbag is torn to shreds now. It had a small tear to start the season and its pretty bad now. I will be getting something similar but with 2 extra side pockets. I like a nice small shoulder bag and if I need more I have a seperate plug bag with molded inserts.
Except for a new BG6500CL (old faithful will then become the backup reel) , I think I'm all set for reels. You never know. Sometimes you see something nice at one of the shows and you just got to have it!
I look forward to the different shows. I have friends who work a youth archery area at the Worcester Show and its good to see them each year. I usually see John R and Mike P at the Mass bass show also and the chunker of Death often pops up at one or the other show.
Anyway , although I hate to see the season come to an end , I really need some time every year to staighten out last years mess and get all set for the approaching season. There's always plenty to do.

JohnR
11-20-2000, 01:28 PM
Can't blame ya Saltheart. Alot effort for no fish certainly puts a dampner on everything... but boy, you've got mucho projects for this wintertime. Now if you are making that much lead for the Ditch, will the EPA get to call it a SuperFund Site? :P

I can tell you that you will be very happy with that 1089. I like mine very much.

J Powers
11-20-2000, 04:29 PM
Not to make you crazy SaltH but... in addition to the 31# and the 38# caught last week at Nauset, it was reported last Fri in " On The Water" mag's current fishing reports that a 42# and a 50#er were caught on Martha's Vineyard. Reports like this keep my feet in the water long past the time when it's reasonable to call it quits.