View Full Version : Protect MA License Bill $$$ Today

BasicPatrick
10-02-2009, 02:44 PM
MSBA Action Alert
Protect License Bill Money Today

The much anticipated MA Salt Water Licence Bill (House Bill #4224) which was developed by a steering committee of fishing community leaders including MSBA Past Presidents Chuck Casella & Patrick Paquette has now been posted to the state house web site...www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/186/ht04pdf/ht04224.pdf

Key Points of the Bill: 1)Meets federal mndate and keeps money in MA fisheries 2) All license money to a dedicated fund for DMF 3) 1/3 of fund set aside for public access 4) Maximize federal matching funds/reimbursement 5) Reciprocity with neighboring states/boat & shore 6) Free license for seniors 7) Children exempt 8) One license covers charter boats 8) Llow cost (estimated start point is $10)

MSBA Position: MSBA Membership voted to support legislation ONLY AS WRITTEN and to authorize MSBA Leadership to reverse that support and take all necessary steps to defeat any molested version of the language. MSBA clearly prefers the federal government manage the required registry if the legislation is changed in any way from what has been developed.

Current Status: The legislation has passed through the Joint Committee on the Environment, Agriculture & Natural Resources and is now in the hands of the House Ways & Means Committee where MSBA has learned representatives of law enforcement are attempting to get a portion of the funds.

Take Action Today: It is time to inform legislators that you support House Bill 4224 ONLY AS WRITTEN.

Please take a few minutes to e-mail your local state representative and senator. Please copy the following list of state officials. Ask them all to pass the bill as written and let them know if we do not pass this bill as is, many of the points our community said they wanted in the bill will not be achieved. Let them know we would rather have the feds run the registry than pay for the state Police Budget. A suggested letter is as follows:

Dear (add your local representative & Senator)

CC: Therese.Murray@state.ma.us, Robert.DeLeo@state.ma.us, Rep.CharlesMurphy@hwm.state.ma.us, Rep.BarbaraL'Italien@hou.state.ma.us, Rep.MichaelRodrigues@Hou.State.MA.US, Bruce.Tarr@state.ma.us, env.internet@state.ma.us

To whom it may concern,
I am writing to ask that you support House Bill 4224, a proposal to institute a recreational saltwater license that was developed by the salt water fishing community. The bill, as currently written, will satisfy the new federal requirement of registering all saltwater anglers. If the state does not have a saltwater fishing licensing system, we would be required to register through the federal government and starting in 2011, there would be a fee. We would much rather keep those revenues here in the state and use the money to improve our recreational fishery.
I do have concerns that there will be efforts to molest the legislation to allow a percentage of license revenues to be used for purposes other than stated in the current version of the bill. My support for this legislation is dependent on 100 per cent of the revenues being used to directly benefit saltwater recreational fishing in Massachusetts. My support will disappear should amendments be applied that divert funds from their intended purpose. In addition, it is my understanding that any use of these funds in a manner not specified in the USFWS Sport fish Restoration Grant Program would cause the state to lose millions of dollars in grant money not only negating my reason for wanting the state and not the federal gov't to manage the system but actually costing the state more resources.
I thank you in advance for your consideration of my comments and concerns. My community representative on this matter is MA Striped Bass Assn Gov't Affairs Officer Patrick Paquette (BasicPatrick@aol.com) who is more than willing to speak with you concerning my position on this issue.

Respectfully,

Edit as you wish