View Full Version : Blew it again

ProfessorM
10-03-2009, 01:47 PM
If you see me somewhere fishing go in the opposite direction if you are smart. I seem to be a good barometer for crappy results lately as I went to the wrong place again last nite. Had good info for 2 places and still too stupid to pick right one. I need better than 50 50 odds. :smash: The only thing that kept me interested last nite were the dive bombing bats all around me and even they weren't biting.

striperman36
10-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Sounds very cool though, seen that troutfishing in the Rangeley's thicker than fleas on a moose's behind

Slingah
10-03-2009, 02:14 PM
don't feel too bad Paul, I fished for a total of about 8 hours yesterday and only got 3 fish all within a 20 minute stretch :smash:....and biggest was only 20#........:wall:

Tagger
10-03-2009, 04:28 PM
i got up and out at 3 am this morning for a good skunking . Thought of BackBeach batting average theory and felt better . Getting skunked just means your due ..

Cool Beans
10-03-2009, 05:22 PM
same for me today. I had one good hit, took the line for a few seconds, I lay back to set the hook, and missed the striper, but snagged a small scup in the side. Looked pretty funny a 6 inch scup with a chunk of pogy 1/2 his size stuck on his back.

WoodyCT
10-03-2009, 07:03 PM
...Getting skunked just means your due ..

Fished 4 days at Cutty for 2 hits....

Bagged a scrappy 16"er last night on my second cast of the night!!

Talk about satisfying!! :wall:

JohnR
10-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Every no is one step closer to a yes. Kinda like the good old days hunting lasses in the bars :love:

RI Plugger
10-03-2009, 09:25 PM
This thread makes me feel better about the 4 hours I just spent with not even a hit. The beer in my hand also helps.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

gone fishin
10-03-2009, 09:32 PM
How about two weeks on the sand and only a few snappers to show for it. Did assist in the capture of a level 3 sex offender though!:wall:

Cool Beans
10-03-2009, 09:41 PM
How about two weeks on the sand and only a few snappers to show for it. Did assist in the capture of a level 3 sex offender though!:wall:

That's way better then a Striper! One less piece of crap on the street!!! Great Job Bro!!!! Gone Fishin 1 - Sex offender 0

quick decision
10-04-2009, 01:28 AM
fished from 10pm-2am "elskunko"

texican
10-04-2009, 06:28 AM

Best catch of the year. You just might have saved alot of victims you would of never known. Congrats!

Back Beach
10-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Don't feel bad, Professor. My last several outings have been largely flukes too. I did have one decent night about one week ago with a high 20# fish and one low 30# fish, along with a bunch of mid teen sized stuff. The next night I had one mid 20# fish, last two nights have been the big zero. Prior to the decent night I had two more goose eggs. :huh: It's not due to lack of available fish, its just my stubbornness to change things up.
Add all this stuff up and its about average...six nights fished, four skunks and two decent outings....its about a 300 average, which is good for surf fishing, IMO.

numbskull
10-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Squat ruled where I was last pm. Tough moon for shallow stuff.

MAC
10-04-2009, 09:18 AM
I was at the waters edge this morning by 3:45. (UDL on the canal) Bounced some light lead as the turn was happening for naught. Once it started running a little better I jumped in jig size. After about 40 drifts I get a nice hit that takes a little drag. Cool, fight is on. Fish is coming in nicely and almost at my feet and TWANG..... I knew my leader had a nick but figured it would be ok..... (I know better too)

Now it is getting a little lighter so I switch over to a large mackeral swimmer Chuck (linesider) gave me. It is swimming nicely when all of a sudden my drag is singing instantly. I go to set up, feeling the powerful fish and then nada. Whatever it was (tuna I think) spit the plug. I think it was charlie as the hit was the sameas when I used to tuna fish back in the 80s. Immense power I never could have stopped. If I didn't have a good grip on the rod it would have been gone.

Nice adrenalin rush though. Fish 2 me nada

ProfessorM
10-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Misery loves company. At least no one has chimed in and said they were killing them and we all just suck. I feel better now. So I am now ready to go to the wrong place again tonite. Good luck guys I know one of you will do better, In a selfish way I hope it is me:kewl:

Grapenuts
10-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Misery loves company. At least no one has chimed in and said they were killing them and we all just suck. I feel better now. So I am now ready to go to the wrong place again tonite. Good luck guys I know one of you will do better, In a selfish way I hope it is me:kewl:

see what happens when you fish out of boats all summer..you get spoiled.Fish land side in the fall,,relax,enjoy the outting hit or miss.Kinda like sex,your not always going to score.

ProfessorM
10-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Steve you are absolutely right. I was thinking the same thing yesterday. You do get spoiled not so much in the fish you catch but the amount of time you do find fish. I can always seem to find fish in either boat I use, catching them sometimes is a challenge but I usually can always find a few of them. I will say that when I fish the shore I usually figure I am not going to have a whole lot of luck as it is not my #1 way to fish anymore, and I am ok with that because I really enjoy the whole aspect of being out there. I was more whining about I knew I had 2 really good intels and I picked one and the other produced for a friend, and this is not the first time it has happened this year. I am not chasing reports as both spots are and have always been fall producers just can't seem to pick the right one lately.

MAKAI
10-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Fished 7 hrs last nite.
One dogfish on a Danny crawled across the top, . . .great.
Pretty nite if you like a nuclear FULL MOON, so much for cloud cover.

ThrowingTimber
10-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Scotty got his ass handed to him by charlie it was a solid 3 minutes of screaming drag the terrified look he had was priceless
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Flaptail
10-04-2009, 04:53 PM
One night it's on the next night off and most of all when they show there is no pattern to it. I have been truly blessed the whole month of September. Numerous 20's a lot of 30's and two over 40 in the last week alone.

Missed my chance last night on a yellow mambo and saw one fish taken about 25 lbs.

The word is out on the hot spot(s) and it was mighty crowded. The most exciting part of last night was helping Sauerkraut fix a flat in the sand track.

I don't care what they say.....for me it's moon moon go away please!

Grapenuts
10-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Steve you are absolutely right. I was thinking the same thing yesterday. You do get spoiled not so much in the fish you catch but the amount of time you do find fish. I can always seem to find fish in either boat I use, catching them sometimes is a challenge but I usually can always find a few of them. I will say that when I fish the shore I usually figure I am not going to have a whole lot of luck as it is not my #1 way to fish anymore, and I am ok with that because I really enjoy the whole aspect of being out there. I was more whining about I knew I had 2 really good intels and I picked one and the other produced for a friend, and this is not the first time it has happened this year. I am not chasing reports as both spots are and have always been fall producers just can't seem to pick the right one lately.

I got spoiled rotten,enough so if I didn't catch another fish for years it wouldn't frag my butt at all..to much of a good thing I guess.

rickhern
10-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I have been on MV fishing the derby since last Sunday. Fished fresh squid(managed to catch a grand total of 5) on south that night, Mon - last night fished squibby and another N. Shore spot, wetsuiting, throwing eels, min 4 hours/night but often 7-8 hrs, for 3 bass, biggest just under 17# =, a few rat blues and 2 big blues last night. Tough fishing but I am feeling the odds shifting in my favor for my last outing tonite.

BTW - Mac, great to see you fishing.

SAUERKRAUT
10-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Squat ruled where I was last pm. Tough moon for shallow stuff.

At least when Flap and Numby are skunking, Flap sleeps away in the truck. Numby even smarter and goes home. Me? I roll in it and go to the next place and then the next. Now I have to apologize to Flap and Numby for prying them out of the crowd to go fish some peace and quiet. The result is no fish either. I am not calling good shots. I need to go back to my roots (some eels), and some big time rocking.

ProfessorM
10-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Walked a good 5 miles of Bay beach last nite for 1hit. It was very foggy and the moon was errie thru the fog. I could almost see my plug hit the water it was so bright. Small bait was there but no fish. Too nice of a nite to sit home. Still waiting for that nite they are on.

BigFish
10-05-2009, 08:02 AM
I am still waiting too Paul! I hit 3 spots last night......not a touch!:wall:

go4broke44
10-05-2009, 08:20 AM
I've been telling people that I am bad luck. Whenever I am fishing, the fish aren't biting, or the bite dies.

8+ hrs last 2 days, still zero fish this season.

Crafty Angler
10-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah, it's been tough sledding down this end of the world too...but every few nights it improves from very poor to not so good...:hs:

Hey, I'm still going out prepared for greatness regardless...:laughs:

God hates a quitter you know

ProfessorM
10-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey I'm one of those stubborn, stupid, Irishman. I never quit, even though it would be the prudent thing to do most times. Last year I was riding my bike looking in late, late fall on the canal for 2 straight days and saw not another fisherman before I was smart enough to say enough is enough with that location. Heck numbskull and I went out on his boat along the islands in November last year hoping for something. You never know. It's a long friggin winter.

Crafty Angler
10-05-2009, 09:47 AM
...Heck numbskull and I went out on his boat along the islands in November last year hoping for something. You never know. It's a long friggin winter.

Yup, I'll sure drink to that, Paul

In fact, I do...:gu:

Mad Hatter
10-05-2009, 02:07 PM

I'm afraid to ask what kind of bait....