View Full Version : Gone fishin Don/Other pellet burners

UserRemoved1
10-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Hearth.com Wood Stove and Pellet Stove Forums....and much more! | Forums (http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewcategory/1/)

Good site for pellet/stove info. Been reading this for a while now.

Man you think some people are anal about fishing? You should see some of these guys :rotf2:

leo33
10-04-2009, 08:13 AM
lots of good info.now only if pellet prices could become reasonable again.looks like it's back to oil again.:fury:

UserRemoved1
10-04-2009, 08:22 AM
yea and i got 7 tons of mediocre crap based on the local dealers recommendation. Never ever again.

If anyone is still looking to buy pellets don't waste your time with Inferno. I had actually looked at this site last spring before I bought and wasn't much info out there. It's like a whore's market out there for this stuff. The dealers claim they're not making anything. SURE. I know what the wholesale price is now from someone who is in the business. These higher prices are mostly coming from the dealers now! Most of the wholesalers are selling between $150-200 a ton.

striperman36
10-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Anybody every go beyond thinking about doing B100 for home and vehicle?

ProfessorM
10-04-2009, 12:48 PM
I was going to start a thread about what you are finding for prices and products. It's time for me to buy a ton. I usually get NE Wood pellets.They are a good product and local to me so i can pick up a 1/2 ton at a time. Not real cheap but cheap isn't always the best route to go.

UserRemoved1
10-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Massenergy is 2.53 a gallon I can buy regular home heating oil for 2.30 a gallon.

State of Ma is shoving THIS down your throats beginning in January. They are mandating a mix of bio and home heating oil. At the higher price of bio you can guarantee your home heating oil will be MINIMUM .15 more per gallon effective 1/1/10!

Ya got ya wonderful LAME AZZ state reps to thank for this one too.

Anybody every go beyond thinking about doing B100 for home and vehicle?

PRBuzz
10-04-2009, 01:56 PM
I still burn good old fashion wood. Got a splitter and chain saw. I've got the next 2-3 winters of FREE wood (approaching 15+ cords) sitting in my yard due to neighbors taking down 6 large oak trees. I now also have a contact with the tree service such that they offer me wood when in the area.

I've only had to pay for wood about 3-4 times in over 20 years.

Of course free has different meanings: saw the 6-8ft lengths to 16-18", stack, split, stack, haul into house, burn. Luckily the tree service dumped the logs right in my yard.

ProfessorM
10-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Thats the way to do it. I still have a good 2 years of wood that I got by my slave labor for free but like you said free is not free from my labor, I split by hand. Love the pellet stove on the other end of the house, just turn on and fill but the expense of pellets from when I started doing it 10 years ago has gotten pricey. I would have to really think hard about getting into the pellet game at these prices for stoves and pellets. Even wood stoves for people that buy their wood by the cord and the cost of a new modern stove, exterior SS piping, will make you really crunch the numbers over natural gas, which I have.

striperman36
10-04-2009, 04:41 PM
we have NG, fhw 3 zone. what I really need is new windows.

PRBuzz
10-04-2009, 05:16 PM
No NG on the street so that is an unlikely option. When I pulled my 1000 oil tank from the ground about 8-9 years ago and moved to a 275 gal inside plus new furnace, I would have liked to at least had the option of oil or gas but I wasn't paying for the main to be brought the several 100's of yards to my house.

Those new double or even triple pain windows are great not only for energy conservation but sound deadening, it is so quite with the windows closed, especially during Brockton fair.

striperman36
10-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I may build an appleseed WVO convertor this winter.
It seems really tempting although minus labor and plant capital you end up at about 70-75 cents per gal. Largest expense is methanol which is then wasted as a element in the glycerin by-product also wasted.

gone fishin
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Scott - Thanks for the info. I put 3 tons in for the season. I will probably end up with 1/2 ton left over, possibly more since I added a thermostat to control the stove.

striperman36
10-06-2009, 06:38 AM
No NG on the street so that is an unlikely option. When I pulled my 1000 oil tank from the ground about 8-9 years ago and moved to a 275 gal inside plus new furnace, I would have liked to at least had the option of oil or gas but I wasn't paying for the main to be brought the several 100's of yards to my house.

Those new double or even triple pain windows are great not only for energy conservation but sound deadening, it is so quite with the windows closed, especially during Brockton fair.

that's amazing, with Bay State so close you don't have a main. I had thought there were only a few areas without full service down this way

PRBuzz
10-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Our development, just a few streets, was put in the 1950's and no gas main. Hell, just last year one of the 1 1/2" water mains was replaced which fed 6 houses: when one house flushed another house's shower went hot!

UserRemoved1
10-08-2009, 03:58 AM
There you go I think I mentioned this here earlier.

Telegram.com - A product of the Worcester Telegram & Gazette (http://telegram.com/article/20091008/NEWS/910080700/1116)

Just like I said...more expensive.

PRBuzz
10-08-2009, 05:24 AM
Just like I said...more expensive.

I think that ethanol blended gasoline has also been historically more expensive only for the government subsidies which made it competitive. Now that it is mandated, not sure it makes any difference: the the consumer pays!

buckman
10-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Silly question maybe..... What happens if you have peanut allergies and your neighbor is burning a State mandated blend of bio fuel in his furnace? Same for those with bad soy allergies. Sounds far fetched but I know some that fear this.

Slammer223
10-10-2009, 09:32 PM
NG has actually gone down in price,yes,down,amazing.