View Full Version : Couple of Derby pics

nightfighter
10-13-2009, 11:20 AM
From last week; Swimmer at Wasque, Brothers SKD and Swimmer, and the last three of at least a dozen buggies after the cookout.

Edit:
Please note the original date of post.......

nightfighter
10-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Surfpirate actually smiling on camera, Edgartown Light at sunrise, my 8# albie on day one.

nightfighter
10-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Sorry for the watermark...but I am thinking of doing something with this one....

vineyardblues
10-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Nice Pic of the LightHouse !

ProfessorM
10-13-2009, 01:22 PM
nice pics Ross

5/0
10-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah nice pic of the light house,the ripples on the right of the Light house on the belly of the clouds look imposed.

Good eye on that PIC.

tynan19
10-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Nice shots Ross! That Albie pic makes me wish I weighed mine in.

nightfighter
07-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Time to get a game plan going for this year. Been way too long since I've gone.... Who's going? Who is thinking about it? Who has rented a house? I know Ron goes for the whole month, but I would settle for 3-4 days.....
Any more pics to share? Mine were from six years ago.

Linesider82
07-30-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm thinking about it.... On the fence with how much time
I've taken off work to fish, and how little of that time was spent with family.

That lighthouse pic is incredible, goose bumps just looking at it.

I'm MV bound tomorrow for a week if anyone is around PM me.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sea Dangles
07-30-2015, 07:47 PM
I will be there Ross,let's get in some casts.
On the boat

Clammer
07-30-2015, 07:48 PM
I,m reading the book [THE BIG ONE ] right now /which is about the derby .............. there is a section on Pages 130 & 131 . that touch on their 1st taste of the RI crew .

The man the writer interviewed was well know in a small commercial circle ........ he gave that information to the writer only because he was old & no longer fished ...When he did fish . he never even looked at anyone ..../ ........ he passed away last month .........& with him the unofficial RI record for the largest bass caught in the upper Narragansett bay 65# .......... I have a ccopy of the receipt for that day with the price & total amount on the slip .............he always sold for less & for cash . no paper trail .He laughed at us when they pulled Spooners books & came after some of us .
There are photos of that crew at Bulldogs in NB / they weren,t happy then :faga:

CTSurfrat
07-30-2015, 09:24 PM
I'll be there! Going the last weekend of the Derby. Never been that late before, hoping for better fishing than the last couple of years when I've been there a couple weeks earlier.

rphud
07-31-2015, 06:50 AM
Funny, I was just on the Derby web site a few days back. Time to start firming up the game plan. Missed it all last year and I am determined to make up for that this year. Rumblings of being deployed to GA and now I have to cut that off in hurry. Starting to look like I will be back in Boston for a while though. Aiming to make it into a bunch of long weekends and maybe a mid-week commando run here and there if the albies are running hard. Saving up the vaca time right now. Can you say fly rod shore slam!

JohnR
07-31-2015, 06:55 AM
Oooohh

rickhern
07-31-2015, 09:59 AM
Hey Ross, I will be there from 9/25 to 10/4. May have a little room available, depending on the dates.

stripermaineiac
07-31-2015, 08:27 PM
I still say they are 2 ugly looking fishermen LOl. I'm going down for all of it this yr. the 70th. gotta do it. this retirement stuff isn't all that bad. Ron

Swimmer
08-02-2015, 03:18 PM
I have not been on for a week, battery in Nook died. I am better looking than I thought Ross. Thanks for reminding me. I will be there from 10/5 to the end.

Nebe
08-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Been a long time dream to rent a house for a month and fish the derby hard. Dreams change and I'd rather buy a sailboat and just sail around Maine. :hihi:

Fish On
08-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Cant have a derby pics thread without this one.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=65838

BasicPatrick
08-08-2015, 11:15 PM
Started planning a bit late but Im getting a house. We definitely have room

GattaFish
08-09-2015, 07:32 AM
I need to fish the derby some year.

Mr. Sandman
08-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Good luck to all you guys who visit.

I hope to get in a few shore trips this year. My brother is coming up for a long derby stretch and he wants to fish the beach. Frankly, these days I would rather be 100 miles off the beach but the derby is always fun and it brings back memories of days when there were actually good numbers of decent fish around. I hope they stick around and allow everyone to catch a lot of fish because it is a lot more fun when everyone has action on every outing.

The beach fishing is decent. Now that the breach is closed (thank GOD) one can drive at any time of night to fish the tides at certain places that have been a pain in the butt to fish since 2007. I know guys who are doing reasonably well from the shore all over the island.

A shot of bones have been around for a few weeks already but I don't think any have been caught from the beach that I know about. I have not seen any albies yet but they are offshore at the moment. Bass and blues have been in and out all summer. If you get board with derby fish..or things slow down... Throw a slab of bluefish in the surf and hang on. There have been some big sandtigers caught just feet from the shore at night on fresh dead bluefish fillets. Bring your heaviest gear cause they will spool most spin set ups. (if you see these close up (esp the big ones)and where they are caught...you will think twice about wetsuiting in the suds out here, they are real aggressive predators with a mako-like set of choppers and there are a lot of them around.) many nights guys get 5 or 6 of them in a few hours.

Up island action has been pretty good as well. I know guys who have been consistently catching decent fish in the rocks and in more remote spots.Most fish are under 20 but there have been a few 30's and a 40 that I know about.

My only advice is to fish for what is biting when you are visiting. Otherwise it will get frustrating. And... only kill a fish that is worthy of a weigh in. (You know what that means)

Right now POTUS is here along with a host of people and military equipment. (So your not missing much) Besides the crazys who follow him everywhere, and all the SS and gear and state police, I have seen several big drones flying around the island and I thought it would be fun to get one to use for fishing intel. Those things can really move along and cover the beach quickly!!
So best of luck to all you derby guys. I am sure our paths will cross on the beach at some point.

Sea Dangles
08-09-2015, 05:02 PM
I just got back from a couple nights over and it is nice to see oversand traffic on the south side again. It really filled in nice. Wind kicked up and day 2 of the regatta was canceled. O really Fs things up for any type of commute.

rphud
08-10-2015, 05:28 PM
New moon first night of the Derby....will the shore caught bass winner come the first week again?!?!?! It feels like it is about that time......mmmmmmmm

Maybe a commando run will be in order for the Wednesday night death march high tide.

Swimmer
08-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Have to pack four days earlier this year, but go one day later. Niece in Maine getting married the third. If she doesn't break up with him again, I hope, I hope, I hope. So pack the truck Wednesday and Thursday, leave rods and reels inside, go to Maine Friday, come back from Maine Sunday early, pack the rest of the truck up and run to the ferry. Maybe stay for the awards ceremony this year.

rphud
08-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Getting my Maine wedding done Labor Day Weekend before the Derby starts! Hope to see you on island this year. Bob H.

Fish On
08-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Anyone know how much a permit is these days to be able to drive from Katama Road to Wasque point?

nightfighter
08-27-2015, 06:36 PM
When to Visit
Year-round, daily, 24 hrs. Oversand vehicle access is subject to occasional closures due to erosion or storm damage, or to protect rare nesting shorebirds.

Beach access hotline (current beach closure updates): 508.627.8390.

Admission Fees & Permits:
Free for pedestrians. Unsuitable for bikes due to deep sand.

Oversand vehicle (OSV) permit fees: Annual permits are $140 if vehicle is not registered on Martha's Vineyard; $90 if vehicle is registered on Martha's Vineyard. Combination permits valid at both Norton Point Beach and Cape Poge Wildlife Refuge are $300 for vehicles not registered on Martha's Vineyard and $250 for vehicles registered on Martha's Vineyard. Annual permits are valid Apr. 1 to Mar. 31.

Daily OSV passes are available at the Norton Point gatehouse only; $60 if vehicle is not registered on Martha's Vineyard; $30 if vehicle is registered on Martha's Vineyard.

OSV permits are available at the gatehouse entrance to the property at Katama, at the Cape Poge and Wasque gatehouses, at The Trustees’ Islands Regional Office at 860 State Road in Vineyard Haven, at Coop’s Bait & Tackle in Edgartown, and from the County Treasurer’s Office (508.696.3845) at the County Administration Building in Edgartown.