View Full Version : Ready to Vomit?

Bronko
10-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Take down that American Flag. Its stories like this that make me fear for our country.:confused:

Apartment residents told to take down U.S. flags | KATU.com - News, Weather and Sports - Portland, Oregon | Local & Regional (http://www.katu.com/news/local/64059697.html)

The Dad Fisherman
10-14-2009, 09:43 AM
I think Nancy Reagan said it best..."Just Say No"

PaulS
10-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Don't know why anyone would live in a development governed by a homeowners association.

Raven
10-14-2009, 10:20 AM
hoist her up the nearest flag pole

JohnnyD
10-14-2009, 11:37 AM
It would be a frosty cold day in hell when I let someone tell me I cannot put an American Flag sticker on my car.

This is disgusting. First, I would make them cite the exact line in the lease which gives them this authority. Then, I would tell them flat-out that it wasn't happening and start looking for a new place while they began the eviction proceedings - making sure to pay my rent in a timely fashion.

I have no idea about Oregon, but in Massachusetts, evictions can be quite drawn out and costly for the owner of the unit. My complex had a line in the lease that stated I waived my right to a trial by jury and all issues would be handled through an arbitrator. I struck that line right through, initialed the change and didn't have much issue with the manager about them accepting it.

Like TDF mentioned, "Just say No!"

fishbones
10-14-2009, 02:28 PM
I have no idea about Oregon, but in Massachusetts, evictions can be quite drawn out and costly for the owner of the unit. My complex had a line in the lease that stated I waived my right to a trial by jury and all issues would be handled through an arbitrator. I struck that line right through, initialed the change and didn't have much issue with the manager about them accepting it.

Like TDF mentioned, "Just say No!"

Johnny, your landlord didn't have an issue with you striking that section because those "waive the right to trial by jury" clauses don't hold up in court. It's just a scare tactic to try to keep people from suing. We have all employee's sign one when they are hired.

As to the flag flap, screw the landlord. The tenants should leave and move somewhere else. I'd be willing to bet that there are other, patriotic landlords in town who would be happy to have the tenants in their buildings. The woman with the no flag policy will end up with what she deserves. If someone is offended by the American flag, they should go somewhere else because this is AMERICA. If I travel abroad, I don't feel offended when I see the Italian flag or the German flag or even the French flag. If I'm in those countries, I expect to see the flags of that country. That landlord is a douche.

Fly Rod
10-14-2009, 03:46 PM
My American Flag flies proudly, in my yard, on my property.

And my Marine Corp Flag, is displayed from one week prior to its birthday on November 10th till one week after.

JohnnyD
10-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Johnny, your landlord didn't have an issue with you striking that section because those "waive the right to trial by jury" clauses don't hold up in court. It's just a scare tactic to try to keep people from suing. We have all employee's sign one when they are hired.

As to the flag flap, screw the landlord. The tenants should leave and move somewhere else. I'd be willing to bet that there are other, patriotic landlords in town who would be happy to have the tenants in their buildings. The woman with the no flag policy will end up with what she deserves. If someone is offended by the American flag, they should go somewhere else because this is AMERICA. If I travel abroad, I don't feel offended when I see the Italian flag or the German flag or even the French flag. If I'm in those countries, I expect to see the flags of that country. That landlord is a douche.

My understanding is that it holds up in many cases, or people don't want to pay a lawyer to fight the point so that they can then pay a lawyer to fight the actual issue.

I'm completely onboard with your second paragraph. The landlord is a piece of crap. This isn't the the United States of Happy Fluffy Feeling-tenders.

Maybe if we let people get offended once in a while without having to buffer their feelings, this country wouldn't have developed into the overly-litigious nation it is today.

Politically Correctness and it's cousin, Tolerance, are a plague to this society. Essentially being a white, natural-born American, male in this society means you must approach every situation with kid gloves and tread lightly as you are always walking on egg shells.

Hell, there are many people that would consider me a racist for saying that we need to close the borders and stop immigration until the system can be overhauled.

Cool Beans
10-14-2009, 08:56 PM
I think I would get some rattle can paint, masking tape and paint my truck Red, White and Blue..I'd put up flags for curtains in the windows. And I would even risk the deposit by painting old glory on every wall in the house and calling over the local Fox news affiliate to film the managers reaction....

The Dad Fisherman
10-15-2009, 05:50 AM
Politically Correctness and it's cousin, Tolerance, are a plague to this society.

Actually, I think its Lack of tolerance that is a problem. Its what makes everybody get into everybody else's business. The fact they have no tolerance for the way the other person wants to do something.

Look at the fighting that goes on here on this board just on whether to keep fish or release them......neither one is illegal so STFU about it.

If everybody would just mind there own eff'ing business everything would be fine. You do your thing, I'll do mine and keep your opinions to yourself.

Raven
10-15-2009, 05:59 AM
I think I would get some rattle can paint, masking tape and paint my truck Red, White and Blue..I'd put up flags for curtains in the windows. And I would even risk the deposit by painting old glory on every wall in the house and calling over the local Fox news affiliate to film the managers reaction....

Right after 911 there was one shmuck that was bitchin about his neighbor flying the American flag on his balcony

as it turned out he was aiding the terrorists and was later arrested.

PaulS
10-15-2009, 07:05 AM
My complex had a line in the lease that stated I waived my right to a trial by jury and all issues would be handled through an arbitrator. I struck that line right through, initialed the change and didn't have much issue with the manager about them accepting it.

If you don't have a signed version where a representative of the MGMT also initialed it, your strike through may be worthless. Not 100% sure though.

fishbones
10-15-2009, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=JohnnyD;717492]My understanding is that it holds up in many cases, or people don't want to pay a lawyer to fight the point so that they can then pay a lawyer to fight the actual issue.

QUOTE]

Johnny, I've checked into the legality of those documents and they can't stop you from suing your employer. By the same reasoning, I'd bet that it couldn't stop you from suing your landlord. If those documents held up, it would give a landlord license to do whatever they want at the expense of the tenant.

JohnnyD
10-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Johnny, I've checked into the legality of those documents and they can't stop you from suing your employer. By the same reasoning, I'd bet that it couldn't stop you from suing your landlord. If those documents held up, it would give a landlord license to do whatever they want at the expense of the tenant.

Thanks FB. I wasn't aware there was specific case law like that with regards to the arbitration clause in a lot of contracts. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

UserRemoved1
10-17-2009, 06:32 AM
What do you think they'd do if I drove through their lot and parked my van there....

http://www.#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.com/images/savanafreaked.jpg

JohnnyD
10-17-2009, 05:44 PM
What do you think they'd do if I drove through their lot and parked my van there....

http://www.#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.com/images/savanafreaked.jpg

"I'm sorry sir, but you will need to have your van repainted or face eviction."

I'd like to see that one hold up in court. :hs: Bunch of morons.