View Full Version : GOOD OL,E USA ><><>><

Clammer
10-15-2009, 09:55 PM
HAVE WE GROWN ??????

A JUDGE IN LOUISIANA REFUSED TO GRANT A MARIAGE LICENSE TO A INTERRACIAL COUPLE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BECAUSE HE WAS CONCERN FOR THE CHILDREN OF THE COUPLE ><>><>< IF THEY HAD HAD ANY :::

WICKED %$%$%$%$ED UP ><><:smash::smash::wall:

Saltheart
10-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Please say this was in 1847 and not 2009!!

Unreal

JohnnyD
10-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Stories like this that come from the South are of no surprise to me. Those people are at least 30 years behind the rest of the country.

I don't think you can say the Good Ole USA. Those people are practically from a different nation. I mean come on, we're talking about an area where they hold Civil War Reenactments where the Confederacy actually wins.

Clammer
10-15-2009, 11:24 PM
TODAY,S MSN ><><><><

Raven
10-16-2009, 04:42 AM
another for the sake of the children feeble excuse

does this guy not read?

in the future it is said that the whole population
will be interracially colored. :smash:

The Dad Fisherman
10-16-2009, 05:39 AM
in the future it is said that the whole population will be interracially colored. :smash:

I'm willing to help.....anyone got Beyonce's Phone Number. :hee:

I was stationed down south for a few years way back and there are some serious backward thinking people down there. I remember listening to a guy in a bar that was still pissed his side lost the civil war :huh:

Judge is an Idiot....

Raven
10-16-2009, 05:54 AM
I remember listening to a guy in a bar that was still pissed his side lost the civil war :huh:

When i was living in Atlanta on a construction job......

i made the mistake of telling a co worker that i wasn't born in California
having just moved from there....and that i was actually born in massachusetts.

instantly the guys eyes turned cold and evil looking....
he stopped the conversation got up slowly and walked over
and talked to the boss who instantly called me over to talk
....gave me a bunch of crap over nothin and Fired me on the spot.

their war will never end....
they are like the Japanese in that regard......fighting a 1000 year war.

The Dad Fisherman
10-16-2009, 06:06 AM
I was called a Yankee a couple of times.....and if you know anything about me, you can't possibly call me anything worse :af:

The Dad Fisherman
10-16-2009, 06:10 AM
It was a Justice of the Peace.....not a Judge. Still an idiot, just a different Job Title

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La. - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff)

Cool Beans
10-16-2009, 06:41 AM
I dont think its that big a deal... not all that different from a doctor refusing to to abortions, or heart surgery on certain patients he may deem as high risk.

He didn't tell them they could not get married, just that he wouldn't do it. He even suggested the other guy in the Parish that would do it.

It's a personal choice he has made that is based on his moral beliefs.

Its a personal choice to marry who you want, it's his personal choice not to marry people he doesn't think will make it. I bet he wouldn't marry gays either.. or a Baptist to a Satanist... or a shepherd to a bulldog...

PaulS
10-16-2009, 06:54 AM
CB - sounds like you'd fit in there?

spence
10-16-2009, 07:03 AM
I dont think its that big a deal... not all that different from a doctor refusing to to abortions, or heart surgery on certain patients he may deem as high risk.

He didn't tell them they could not get married, just that he wouldn't do it. He even suggested the other guy in the Parish that would do it.

Its a personal choice to marry who you want, it's his personal choice not to marry people he doesn't think will make it. I bet he wouldn't marry gays either.. or a Baptist to a Satanist... or a shepherd to a bulldog...
The only explanation for this post is an early morning troll.

-spence

Raven
10-16-2009, 07:24 AM
The only explanation for this post is an early morning troll.

-spence

is he living under the bridge?

The Dad Fisherman
10-16-2009, 07:28 AM
I dont think its that big a deal... not all that different from a doctor refusing to to abortions, or heart surgery on certain patients he may deem as high risk....

Actually it is different....he's refusing to provide them a State Service. What he should have done in your scenario is give them the Marriage certificate and then point them someplace else to have their ceremony.....then he could use personal choice.

buckman
10-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Stories like this that come from the South are of no surprise to me. Those people are at least 30 years behind the rest of the country.

I don't think you can say the Good Ole USA. Those people are practically from a different nation. I mean come on, we're talking about an area where they hold Civil War Reenactments where the Confederacy actually wins.

Didn't you just say that there should be a test before people are allowed to have children? :rotf2:

JohnnyD
10-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Didn't you just say that there should be a test before people are allowed to have children? :rotf2:

You are dead on, my friend. Perfect example above.

JohnnyD
10-16-2009, 09:51 AM

This sounds like one big, round-a-bout way of saying "I agree with him and would have done the same thing."

His stated issue wasn't that "he doesn't think they'll make it", it was because of the hardships their children *might* have to deal with growing up. And that he "just doesn't believe in mixing the races that way."

Again, please at least read the article before you make your bass-akwards, redneck posts.

buckman
10-16-2009, 11:27 AM
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Well I'm convinced:rotf2:

RIJIMMY
10-16-2009, 11:40 AM
I actually agree with Cool Beans. Not a big deal. Whatever happened to "I may not agree with your opinion but will die for your right to say it". Its his opinion, his choice. Ask yourself this - How many churches across america will not let people of other faiths marry in their churches? Will Catholic priests marry non-Catholics? Can you be divorced and get married in a church? Before you jump all over me - Im in an inter-racial marriage and have little mixed kiddies.

JohnnyD
10-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I actually agree with Cool Beans. Not a big deal. Whatever happened to "I may not agree with your opinion but will die for your right to say it". Its his opinion, his choice. Ask yourself this - How many churches across america will not let people of other faiths marry in their churches? Will Catholic priests marry non-Catholics? I didnt think so.
Before you jump all over me - Im in an inter-racial marriage and have little mixed kiddies.

"I may not agree with your opinion but will die for your right to say it." doesn't apply to people in the public service.

Churches are completely different from public service workers - separation of church and state.

Should Emergency Medical Professionals legally be allowed to ignore someone dying of an overdose, due to a feeling of "if he doesn't care enough for his life, why should I?"

Should an investigator be able to ignore a scantily dressed woman's report of being raped because "she was probably asking for it"? It's his opinion.

You have a right to your opinion if you want to be critical of the President, state that global warming does or doesn't exist, or go to the town hall and tell them there are too many trees in town. You have an obligation to be and objective, neutral party when you're a civil service worker.

JohnnyD
10-16-2009, 11:52 AM
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Well I'm convinced:rotf2:

No kidding. I was reading the article waiting for him to be like, "I love black people. I let them come over and mow my lawn. Every few years I give some of the local colored kids 50 cents each to paint my fence. This one time I said, "homie, what is up". That's how they talk right?"

I mean come on now, who is actually buying this guy's bs?

The Dad Fisherman
10-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I actually agree with Cool Beans. Not a big deal. Whatever happened to "I may not agree with your opinion but will die for your right to say it". Its his opinion, his choice.

His opinion can begin after he issues the State license.....then he is more than free to send them somewhere else for the ceremony. Can the guy at the registry refuse to issue you a license or plates because he feels that a black man has a better chance of being in an accident.

Ask yourself this - How many churches across america will not let people of other faiths marry in their churches? Will Catholic priests marry non-Catholics? I didnt think so.

That is for the ceremonial portion of the process.....can the clerk at the town hall who issues the License say No based on that same argument.....I didn't think so.

RIJIMMY
10-16-2009, 12:01 PM
"I may not agree with your opinion but will die for your right to say it." doesn't apply to people in the public service.

Churches are completely different from public service workers - separation of church and state.

Should Emergency Medical Professionals legally be allowed to ignore someone dying of an overdose, due to a feeling of "if he doesn't care enough for his life, why should I?"

Should an investigator be able to ignore a scantily dressed woman's report of being raped because "she was probably asking for it"? It's his opinion.

You have a right to your opinion if you want to be critical of the President, state that global warming does or doesn't exist, or go to the town hall and tell them there are too many trees in town. You have an obligation to be and objective, neutral party when you're a civil service worker.

so whats the debate? I said its no big deal. yes a public servant broke the rules,,,,,,so? Fire him, take away his liscence, who cares But to make front page headlines is silly or think this is some massive undercurrent in society. More fuel for the race pimps. something out of nothing.
BTW - it is policy and LAW that many public entities use the color of someones skin to make decisions about them - its called affirmative action. outrage? disgust?

dad F - I agree w/you. But this is NOT newsworthy.

numbskull
10-16-2009, 12:15 PM
" "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

They have bathrooms in Louisiana?

The Dad Fisherman
10-16-2009, 12:19 PM
But this is NOT newsworthy.

I agree with that too....waste of time.

Saltheart
10-16-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm glad to hear it was a JOP and not a judge. Still pretty backwards thinking though!

The Dad Fisherman
10-16-2009, 12:26 PM
They have bathrooms in Louisiana?

Yep.....But if you here Banjo music, Pull 'em up REAL Quick.......and sinch that belt tight.

JohnnyD
10-16-2009, 12:26 PM
so whats the debate? I said its no big deal. yes a public servant broke the rules,,,,,,so? Fire him, take away his liscence, who cares But to make front page headlines is silly or think this is some massive undercurrent in society. More fuel for the race pimps. something out of nothing.
BTW - it is policy and LAW that many public entities use the color of someones skin to make decisions about them - its called affirmative action. outrage? disgust?

dad F - I agree w/you. But this is NOT newsworthy.

No, you said you agree with what Cool Beans said, who basically stated that Bardwell was in the right for doing what he did.
Any race discrimination story makes headlines because it fires people up. Some people are in disbelief that the actions still take place, others play the "see I told you it still happens" card, and some agree with the discrimination.

Affirmative action is outdated and is on its way out. But stories like this add fuel to the fire and for some, justify a continued need for affirmative action.

RIROCKHOUND
10-16-2009, 01:43 PM
I dont think its that big a deal... I bet he wouldn't marry gays either.. or a Baptist to a Satanist... or a shepherd to a bulldog...

Holy %$%$%$%$ did your stripes just get exposed.

The world is a scary place, and while I'm an uber-tolerant, tree-hugging liberal, I can't imagine anyone still having the thought that two people, in a CIVIL service, can't get married based on race, gender whatever, period. I understand there are religious ramifications to gay marriage, but interracial? Ignorant, racist people make me sick.

Is it newsworthy, front page material? No, but it certainly speaks towards how intolerant people can still be in this country.

PaulS
10-16-2009, 02:01 PM
he should resign.

fishbones
10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
I just read the story and the JP actually says " I try to treat everyone equally". I guess he means he tries to treat anyone who isn't in a mixed race relationship equally.

JP's aren't state employees. They are appointed or elected and can legally marry people, but not much else.

RIJIMMY
10-16-2009, 02:26 PM
he didnt say they CANT, he just said he WONT

RIJIMMY
10-16-2009, 02:30 PM
What he is doing is using his judgement to influence what he feels will be best in the future for potential children. I agree with all of you, its crazy. But, I agree with CB, that its his option. he chooses not to marry interracial couples. he should be punished as appropriate by the law. But does this qualify for a discrimination suit? God help us. oops. I mean heaven help us. I mean, what do I mean?

RIJIMMY
10-16-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm glad to hear it was a JOP and not a judge. Still pretty backwards thinking though!

Seriously, like thinking the judgement of a latina woman is better than a white male, crazy!

FishermanTim
10-16-2009, 02:39 PM
The JOP shouldn't have marries his sister:biglaugh:

Reminds me of a line from a Fools song: She's my grandma, she's my mother, she's my wife. :rotf2:

Just another state official superimposing their beliefs over the laws of the people.

RIJIMMY
10-16-2009, 02:48 PM
I think you are all whacked today. How did he superimpose his beliefs?
He said no, I'm not doing it. period
The key is I"M not doing it as in HE is not doing it.
HIS CHOICE.
I disagree with his choice and let him pay the price, but what most of you are doing is superimposing your beliefs on HIM! Abortion is legal, do all doctors HAVE to perform an abortion?

FishermanTim
10-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Let's stick with the issue of the marriage.

As a public official, he has the right to say no to a couple, but not for HIS reasons, like his concerns over their having an interracial child.
If he were denying them his services because they were brother and sister, 1st cousins, or a man and a sheep then it would be ligit because of legal circumstances.
Once he denied them based on his SPECULATIONS on what a child of thiers may/may not have to deal with, he crossed the line.

Now if he specifically interjected race into his explaination to the couple, they might be able to claim racial discrimination. Otherwise, they can claim their civil rights have been denied: the right as a couple to get married.
Unless a law has been passed that outlaws/forbids interracial marriages, he cannot deny them the marriage certificate.

If he only denied them the CEREMONY, then all they have is a complaint to the powers that be in that neck of the woods.

I'm done. Have a nice warm dry weekend!

Clammer
10-16-2009, 04:41 PM
SORRY I MADE THE 1ST POST ><><><:smash:

BUT ::

25 years ago my sister met a guy while she was living & working in BOSTON ............ he was from Virginia .
They decided to get married & have the service in Boston .
They got married ina Catholic church / he isn,t catholic // I couldn,t care less .
If she was happy /I was happy for her .
NOW GET THIS ::

WITHOUT HERE KNOWLEDGE

when they played the music to leave the church / walking down the isle stuff >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> He paid them to play >>>>>>>>>>>> Dixie & had the Conferarite {SP} Flag flying from the church ;;

to this day I don,t know how he got out of Boston alive ;;

&&&&&&&&&& If I knew later /now .what was going on in that marriage while they went back to Virginia .he wouldn,t look for a job >UP NORTH }}
ON SHELIA,s soul / he,d be F $%^&*( dead or as close as you can get ;;
That,s also the reason I didn,t find out about things until years later ;;

After going to Virginia /in the time they were married / with my wife & young kids .I can say they really / truly believe the south will rise again ;;
They even had prices for locals & then a price for northerners // on things / like repair service, home heating oil/ stuff that doesn,t have price tags on it ;;

Payback is a bitch & I ain,t dead yeT :fury:

Cool Beans
10-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Many good points here, however Dadfisherman, a marriage license can be obtained at any of Virginia's 62 county clerks offices. Which on the Virginia website states should be applied for 30 days prior to the wedding day.

The justice of the peace is elected by each county, and governed by the county. If the county clerk gave them a license and the Justice says he wont do it, then there is little difference between him and the preacher refusing to marry someone not of his church.

If he was the county clerk refusing, then it would be a much different story.

It is not News Worthy and the only reason it's there is to stir up race problems. And like RIJimmy, I am married to a woman of a different race than me. My 3 kids are bi-racial and have had a few issues that they have dealt with in the past. Many of you (JohnnyD and the like) seem ot have their head so far up their "High Horse's" Ass to see reality. Every time someone throws down the race card, IT IS NOT NEWS!!!

spence
10-17-2009, 06:33 AM
It's absolutely newsworthy if only for the absurdity of it all. Doesn't mean I'd expect to see it on the front page of the WSJ, but a lot of people would be interested in hearing about it.

Quite possibly the guy broke the law as well.

-spence

buckman
10-17-2009, 06:57 AM
It takes all kinds. I can't imagine anyone shocked by this. It's not right but I believe that reverse racism is almost as bad and maybe even hinders peoples ability to be more tolerant. Why can't we have a colorblind society?

Saltheart
10-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Seriously, like thinking the judgement of a latina woman is better than a white male, crazy!

I'm not following your analogy here.

To me if a judge did this it would have to be appealed and he would have to be removed from office.

A JOP , so you find another to marry you.

Raven
10-17-2009, 01:03 PM

totally agree ......road trip to vegas

JohnnyD
10-17-2009, 05:39 PM
It is not News Worthy and the only reason it's there is to stir up race problems. And like RIJimmy, I am married to a woman of a different race than me. My 3 kids are bi-racial and have had a few issues that they have dealt with in the past. Many of you (JohnnyD and the like) seem ot have their head so far up their "High Horse's" Ass to see reality. Every time someone throws down the race card, IT IS NOT NEWS!!!

In this case, it's not a generic race issue (as in any ol' race), it's a black guy marrying a white woman issue.

Just because your true, ignorant colors have shown, doesn't mean I have my head up my ass. You probably have the most absurd, close-minded opinion regarding just about any topic. Unless you're married to a black woman, you really have no business trying to relate yourself to the situation.

What exactly is the reality, since I'm so far up in the stink to see it? Because I think the reality is that even in 2009, racism is still quite prevalent everywhere, but almost socially acceptable in the South.

buckman
10-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Because I think the reality is that even in 2009, racism is still quite prevalent everywhere, but almost socially acceptable in the South.

Your right JD it is and it goes both ways. We now are seeing race baiting bought to a whole new level.

Your blanket statement about the south is just plain wrong. I have plenty of family that were born here and moved south (who could blame them) and I have seen the reality first hand.Sure there are sections that are racist, as there are sections of America where a white person would be hated, perhaps even unsafe.

The elitist, I'm right,your wrong, attitude that many from up here have is just as offensive IMO

The Dad Fisherman
10-18-2009, 08:48 AM
The justice of the peace is elected by each county, and governed by the county. If the county clerk gave them a license and the Justice says he wont do it, then there is little difference between him and the preacher refusing to marry someone not of his church.

If he was the county clerk refusing, then it would be a much different story.

Again, no problem refusing to perform the ceremony, but in the aspect of obtaining the license, he is acting in the same regard as a county clerk. he should just have issued it.

and the fact that he is an Elected Official makes it even worse.

I remember people getting all worked up because an Elected Official sided with a Black man over a White Cop....and that it was totally outrageous. But now we have an elected official siding with "Racial Purity" over "Mixed Race" and its A-OK :kewl:......Can't have it both ways

Cool Beans
10-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Unless you're married to a black woman, you really have no business trying to relate yourself to the situation.

So racism against Blacks is all that matters?

Also, he did not specify black or any race in his statement. He said he will not perform interracial marriages. So I doubt he would have married me and my wife either. That being said, I still think it's his right to not marry those he chooses. He didn't tell they they couldn't get married, he even suggested the other JOS that would be happy to do it. He was not the one granting the license, just providing the service.
I see it in much the same view as the doctor that refuses to conduct abortions. If he has moral objections, then it is not my right to try to force him to do something he feels is morally wrong when I have many other people (other JOS and every preacher in town) to conduct the ceremony.

Mike P
10-18-2009, 09:46 AM

Thanks--I had you in the pool for who'd be the first guy on SB to defend this maroon. :kewl:

I had RI Jimmy to place, and he didn't disappoint either :humpty:

JohnnyD
10-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Your right JD it is and it goes both ways. We now are seeing race baiting bought to a whole new level.

Your blanket statement about the south is just plain wrong. I have plenty of family that were born here and moved south (who could blame them) and I have seen the reality first hand.Sure there are sections that are racist, as there are sections of America where a white person would be hated, perhaps even unsafe.

The elitist, I'm right,your wrong, attitude that many from up here have is just as offensive IMO

Absolutely. That sean character is a perfect example of it going the other way - if someone was critical of Obama smoking, he'd someone turn it into a race issue.

I have some friends that live down South, and have had to travel South many times. My friend from NC has commented before on how a lot of the older people are still very racist. Stories like this from Louisiana just reaffirm that racism is very prevalent still.

A blanket statement that racism is acceptable across the board down there probably is unfair, but I do strongly believe that it is quite prevalent.

With regards to your comment about there being places where a white person would be hated, perhaps even unsafe... as I type this, I'm currently in Springfield visiting my girlfriend who's taking Graduate classes. She unfortunately lives in a neighborhood and I'm consistently given dirty looks and always feel like I have to look over my shoulder whenever we go anywhere.

In fact, last night an 18y/o girl was shot in the head in a house almost directly across the street from my girlfriend. Talk about safe.
Springfield woman shot in her Wilmont Street Home; neighbor Daniel Horn arrested | Breaking News - MassLive.com - - MassLive.com (http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/10/springfield_woman_shot_in_her.html)

The Dad Fisherman
10-18-2009, 02:02 PM
He was not the one granting the license, just providing the service.

He wouldn't grant them the License.......Which, as an elected official, he should do.

From the news article....

"Keith Bardwell, a white justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish in the southeastern part of the state, refused to issue a marriage license earlier this month to Beth Humphrey, who is white, and Terence McKay, who is black."

basswipe
10-18-2009, 02:45 PM

"THOSE PEOPLE"......:hs:.

You just stereotyped an entire geopraphical region..."those people".You're no better than that moronic JP.You should be ashamed for yourself for making such a lame blanket statement.A lot of "those people" are fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan.One could actually argue that you're a bigot for lumping an entire region into a stereotype.

PS.Your Civil War re-enactment statement is equally as lame.Fact:as in any state including those that were Union or Confederate,the "battles" reflect the results of the real battles.The majority of Civil War battles were won by the Confederacy.No state sanctioned re-enactment that has ever occurred in any former Confederate state has ended with the result of Grant surrendering to Lee.

Get your $h!t straight Johnny.

spence
10-18-2009, 02:52 PM

You just stereotyped an entire geopraphical region..."those people".You're no better than that moronic JP.You should be ashamed for yourself for making such a lame blanket statement.A lot of "those people" are fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan.One could actually argue that you're a bigot for lumping an entire region into a stereotype.
JohnnyD gets taken to the woodshed...

I spend about 1/2 of my work time down south. Sure there's still a lot of backwards people but also a lot of the South is every bit as up to speed and sophisticated as us elites in New England :hihi:

-spence

JohnnyD
10-18-2009, 04:24 PM

If you read the entire post, as opposed to your panties getting bunched over two words, you'd have seen that I replied to buckman saying that lumping them all together was probably unfair.

Saying "Those people" is no worse than saying "people in the South", the rich, poor, white people or referring to any other group of people.

One certainly could argue that I'm a bigot - with all that close-mindedness I'm consistently demonstrating.:smash: You seem quite sensitive on the subject.

And as I mentioned before, I have friends that live in NC that state racism is still widespread. My girlfriend visited old friends in Jacksonville and it was widespread there, and I've witnessed it first hand in my travels.

This story alone demonstrates that racism still exists down there and I'm sure for every one that we hear about, there are a ton more that no one hears about.

Get your $h!t straight Johnny.

It's quite straight.

basswipe
10-18-2009, 05:29 PM
If you read the entire post, as opposed to your panties getting bunched over two words, you'd have seen that I replied to buckman saying that lumping them all together was probably unfair.

Saying "Those people" is no worse than saying "people in the South", the rich, poor, white people or referring to any other group of people.

One certainly could argue that I'm a bigot - with all that close-mindedness I'm consistently demonstrating.:smash: You seem quite sensitive on the subject.

And as I mentioned before, I have friends that live in NC that state racism is still widespread. My girlfriend visited old friends in Jacksonville and it was widespread there, and I've witnessed it first hand in my travels.

This story alone demonstrates that racism still exists down there and I'm sure for every one that we hear about, there are a ton more that no one hears about.

It's quite straight.

Exactly the response I expected.

Wow,amazing you have friends NC.Holy crap your gf visited old friends in Jax.Wow.Y'all must be true blue because ya'll have friends down south!

Doesn't change a thing,you still lumped an entire region into a stereotype.

Give it up chief,you insulted way to many people to continue to squawk your bs.

JohnnyD
10-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Exactly the response I expected.

Wow,amazing you have friends NC.Holy crap your gf visited old friends in Jax.Wow.Y'all must be true blue because ya'll have friends down south!

Doesn't change a thing,you still lumped an entire region into a stereotype.

Give it up chief,you insulted way to many people to continue to squawk your bs.

You're completely out of your mind. As I mentioned before, I did note that it was unfair to label the entire region. But, experience has show that the feelings are still prevalent. I travel quite regularly for work, have over a hundred clients nationwide and internationally. I have a pretty diverse pool of people to poll from.

What exactly is your proof to the contrary?

Like I said before, you seem awfully sensitive about the issue.

EarnedStripes44
10-19-2009, 01:57 PM
What Paul said....

Content of their character, not the color of their skin.

I thought the greatest beneficiaries of affirmative action have been women, white women at that.

RIJIMMY
10-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks--I had you in the pool for who'd be the first guy on SB to defend this maroon. :kewl:

I had RI Jimmy to place, and he didn't disappoint either :humpty:

for a lawyer, your pretty dumb, i did not defend him. I defend his right to choose. Like it or not, you live in a country where the klan, nazis and anyone else can march down the street, I dont defend them, but I defend their right to march. We are not a country that enforces its beliefs, right or wrong on others. I said - fire him take what ever action deemed necessary. Public offical aside - ALL of you judging him are no less guilty than he is - imposing your beliefs/values on others. think about it.

RIJIMMY
10-19-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm not following your analogy here.

To me if a judge did this it would have to be appealed and he would have to be removed from office.

referring to a comment by Sonia Sotamayor - supreme court justice

JohnnyD
10-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Public offical aside - ALL of you judging him are no less guilty than he is - imposing your beliefs/values on others. think about it.

While some of my judgments may be controversial, none of my judgments have ever restricted the civil rights of other people.

basswipe
10-19-2009, 05:13 PM
You're completely out of your mind. As I mentioned before, I did note that it was unfair to label the entire region. But, experience has show that the feelings are still prevalent. I travel quite regularly for work, have over a hundred clients nationwide and internationally. I have a pretty diverse pool of people to poll from.

What exactly is your proof to the contrary?

Like I said before, you seem awfully sensitive about the issue.

You are 100% lit my friend.

There's no denying you stereotyped an entire geographical region.How can you deny this?You referred to the entire south as "those people".I pointed this out.Simple.You changed your tune in a post afterwards in a reply to buckman as this:"A blanket statement that racism is acceptable across the board down there probably is unfair, but I do strongly believe that it is quite prevalent."Your original post referring to "those people" still stands.

This changes nothing,you made an ignorant comment about an entire geographical region of the USA.And yes I'm sensitive to your lame-ass comments as many of "those people" have died in war so that you can make such lame-ass comments.

JohnnyD
10-19-2009, 06:12 PM
You are 100% lit my friend.

There's no denying you stereotyped an entire geographical region.How can you deny this?You referred to the entire south as "those people".I pointed this out.Simple.You changed your tune in a post afterwards in a reply to buckman as this:"A blanket statement that racism is acceptable across the board down there probably is unfair, but I do strongly believe that it is quite prevalent."Your original post referring to "those people" still stands.

This changes nothing,you made an ignorant comment about an entire geographical region of the USA.And yes I'm sensitive to your lame-ass comments as many of "those people" have died in war so that you can make such lame-ass comments.

Well, "those people" are from an ass-backwords, sister-marrying, roadkill-eating, uneducated society; that have hardly made a baby step towards progress. At least that's what I must have said based off of your inexplicable sensitivity to the issue.

Also, I secretly hate everyone from South of the Mason-Dixon line - I guess it's not much of a secret any more. You're still a clown.

scottw
10-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Well, "those people" are from an ass-backwords, sister-marrying, roadkill-eating, uneducated society; that have hardly made a baby step towards progress. At least that's what I must have said based off of your inexplicable sensitivity to the issue.

Also, I secretly hate everyone from South of the Mason-Dixon line - I guess it's not much of a secret any more. You're still a clown.

JD...you can't effectively backpedal from yet another foolish statement if you continue to lash out .....serenity now......maybe try pulling some numbers out of your butt again that you can't substantiate....like this...95% of people from the south are racists and it's even higher in restaurants..... for laughs...:uhuh:...try distracting them with your unique brand of humor rather than rage...serenity now....

The Dad Fisherman
10-20-2009, 05:47 AM
Well, "those people" are from an ass-backwords, sister-marrying, roadkill-eating, uneducated society;

What About Moonshine and NASCAR :huh:

Raven
10-20-2009, 06:30 AM
heh heh heh

this is a fun thread http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/sign-GUYS/chicken.pnghttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/sign-GUYS/mellon.jpg

Marijuana is the "new" moonshine down there.
the Mountain people are some of the most clever
and innovative people in the whole country.

RIJIMMY
10-20-2009, 07:58 AM

I wish I can remember his name, but there is a British guy that does a travel show in the US. Its a grea show because its a foreign opinion of the US. He is very candid and basically thinks the North is full of pompous, cold, unfriendly people while the south is a warm inviting place that welcomes people with open arms. Its a shame that all of us were misguided in our education by believing the civil war was about slavery. It was about the rights of states to govern themselves. Slavery was just one issue. News flash - states in the union HAD SLAVES - Missouri, Maryland, Delaware HAD SLAVES !!!
The victors write the history books, and it slants history its way. yes, there are some backass people in the South, but take a drive through Lowell, Southie, Revere, Cranston, etc and there many, many backass people living right around here, more concentrated than down south.
I dont know I keep repeating myslef, but I've posed a number of times that this guy is wrong, he should be fired. However, as a strong believer in the constituiton - all the good and bad, I believe he has the right to follow his beliefs and not do something he feels is inappropriate. Even if we, the moral high ground, feel its wrong.

Slipknot
10-20-2009, 08:21 AM
:doh:
what is a backass person?
sounds like there might be a few posting on this thread :eek::chatter

RIROCKHOUND
10-20-2009, 08:27 AM
I dont know I keep repeating myslef, but I've posed a number of times that this guy is wrong, he should be fired. However, as a strong believer in the constituiton - all the good and bad, I believe he has the right to follow his beliefs and not do something he feels is inappropriate. Even if we, the moral high ground, feel its wrong.

He had the right to believe it, as do the neo-nazi's, neo cons, panther party, nation of Islam, Rush followers etc.. (:rotf2: like that grouping :D) have their rights to believe what they want, BUT as a civil servant, he doesn't have the right to deny someone their right to marry. he could have said I don;t approve and half-assed the ceremony, but he shouldn't have denied it. Fire him as a JOP.

I think we are saying the same thing here RIJ....

RIJIMMY
10-20-2009, 08:37 AM
yup

scottw
10-20-2009, 08:52 AM
who cares???? is this the only jop in the state? didn't he actually do these kids a favor? would YOU want to have this guy officiate your wedding and/or sign your marriage certificate and find out later that he harbored these feelings and was involved in this kind of controversy? .....he made them public and he should suffer whatever scorn, loss of business or ability to provide the service legally that comes with his actions....he's not elected is he? or a government employee, I thought he was just a jop that probably dresses up like Elvis and does drive thru weddings in his garage....unless these kids really had their hearts set on being married by Elvis, they should find someone to marry them that respects them and everyone will be happy...there are like 300 million people in this country...funny how worked up people can get over one Elvis impersonator....oh crap...does this make me intolerant of Elvis'

Joe
10-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Nope.
What he did was a violation of the couple's civil rights.
So long as their paperwork is in order, his job is to professionally officiate and not comment publicly or privately with respect to his personally held beliefs of approval or disapproval or discriminate in any manner.

The Dad Fisherman
10-20-2009, 09:37 AM
There are Racists and A-Holes in all 50 states......none are better and none are worse.....(Well, Maybe Alabama :hihi:)

it all depends on the experiences you have when you visit an area. All it takes is one a-hole to make you think that northerners are snobs or southerners are inbread. You could meet 10 people and 9 of them could be the salt of the earth....but that 10th one is the one you will reference as to character of the area. Its easier to lump people together in a category than try and see the differences.

Earlier it was stated the JOP was an elected official. If that is true then he is drawing money from tax dollars.....possibly this couple's tax dollars. So he needs to put his personal beliefs aside and do his job, which was to issue a marriage license. After that, if he didn't want to perform the ceremony for personal reasons...provided its not a requirement of his elected position....he can pass.

If it is part of his elected position then he has a choice...marry them or not. With that choice comes options.....if he marries them then he gets paid...if he doesn't then he gets fired....but that his choice. If he can sleep better at night with whatever he chooses...great. His beliefs are intact and he can find other employment...

scottw
10-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Nope.
What he did was a violation of the couple's civil rights.
So long as their paperwork is in order, his job is to professionally officiate and not comment publicly or privately with respect to his personally held beliefs of approval or disapproval or discriminate in any manner.

what a wonderful world it would be :uhuh:

wouldn't you rather know? do you want a stealth racist issuing licenses or is it better to get this out in the open and save these poor kids a bunch of trouble? As long as he keeps his mouth shut everything is fine?....that's like saying, as long as the pedophile doesn't touch the kids he can teach a third grade class...eventually, there's gonna be an incident:uhuh:

sounds like what should happen IS happening....

"His refusal has prompted calls for an investigation or resignation from civil and constitutional rights groups and the state's Legislative Black Caucus.

Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal said in a statement a nine-member commission that reviews lawyers and judges in the state should investigate.

"Disciplinary action should be taken immediately — including the revoking of his license," Jindal said."

or maybe they could all just go to the White House for a beer?

RIJIMMY
10-20-2009, 10:04 AM
"Disciplinary action should be taken immediately — including the revoking of his license," Jindal said."

end of story.

scottw
10-20-2009, 10:07 AM
and they should confiscate his Elvis costume :uhuh:

scottw
10-20-2009, 10:37 AM
He had the right to believe it, as do the neo-nazi's, neo cons, panther party, nation of Islam, Rush followers etc.. (:rotf2: like that grouping :D) have their rights to believe what they want,

you forgot the nuts that actually believe in Global Warming :uhuh:

Joe
10-20-2009, 10:58 AM
I would like to kill several people. I have fashioned Voodoo Dolls of these people, and I stick pins in them in them each morning, and I spend about ten minutes a day meditating on bad thoughts about them. I've gotten a few over the years also. (Or maybe their demise was a coincidence).
But I'm smart about it. I contain my thoughts and actions to the small makeshift Voodoo room I've set up in my basement. Nobody knows - because outwardly, I'm polite and kind to all - the Thought Police got nothing on me. Ha! Ha! Ha!
If a person is a closet racist, but he never articulates this, and his actions never reflect his racism, then society never knows he is a racist because there is no evidence of such. Once a person takes action, evidence emerges and it becomes a different matter.
We don't abandon our ideals simply because an idiot JOP in an Elvis costume falls short of fulfilling his sworn obligation of upholding them.

scottw
10-20-2009, 11:30 AM
I would like to kill several people.

this IS a good thread :uhuh:

Joe
10-20-2009, 11:57 AM
I'll trade you a Jointed RM Swimmer for some hair and nail samples and a recent photo. :biglaugh:

RIJIMMY
10-20-2009, 12:11 PM
I would like to kill several people. I have fashioned Voodoo Dolls of these people, and I stick pins in them in them each morning, and I spend about ten minutes a day meditating on bad thoughts about them. I've gotten a few over the years also. (Or maybe their demise was a coincidence).
But I'm smart about it. I contain my thoughts and actions to the small makeshift Voodoo room I've set up in my basement. Nobody knows - because outwardly, I'm polite and kind to all - the Thought Police got nothing on me. Ha! Ha! Ha!
If a person is a closet racist, but he never articulates this, and his actions never reflect his racism, then society never knows he is a racist because there is no evidence of such. Once a person takes action, evidence emerges and it becomes a different matter.
We don't abandon our ideals simply because an idiot JOP in an Elvis costume falls short of fulfilling his sworn obligation of upholding them.

like it or not, racism is not illegal. Discrimination is and those who do, should be punished.

I love this stuff, I could debate all day - here is one for you -

Bill is a computer programmer, great resume, great personality, etc. He is interviewing with Sally for a new position. The interview is goign extremely well, they hit it off, Bill is exactly what Sally needs. As the interview concludes, Sally says she is off to lunch, and will walk Bill to his car. As they get to Bill's car, Sally notices the swastika and other nazi parphanalia in Bill's car. Bill says goodbye to Sally and reiterates his interest in the role. Sally is Jewish.
So, will Bill get the job? Of course not. However - were his civil rights violated? Sally did not hire him based on his personal beliefs, that is illegal. Although Bill's affiliations may be deplorable, he still has rights. Now what it Sally was muslim and Bill had a cross or christian symbols in his car? Millions of Muslims were massacared by Christian while they pulled out from the Crusades? Where do we draw the line with freedom and discrimination. That was the point I was trying to get across with my posts. Interesting stuff for those that like to think.

scottw
10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I'll trade you a Jointed RM Swimmer for some hair and nail samples and a recent photo. :biglaugh:

make it two and you're on :rotf2:

Bronko
10-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Nice work Clammer....:laugha:

Joe
10-20-2009, 12:33 PM
The sign read, "Jack-Booted Nazis - Need not apply"
So I took my armband off, and went in to ask them why.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that if you're a JOP and it can be proven that you refused to marry an interracial couple - you've probably opened yourself up to some kind of legal action.

My comments were confined to that context, however I did not reiterate that point in the second-to-last paragraph - sorry.
Correct, there's nothing illegal about being a racist.
The other stuff I can't debate because I've spent too much time over here today.

The Dad Fisherman
10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
like it or not, racism is not illegal. Discrimination is and those who do, should be punished.

Bill is a computer programmer, great resume, great personality, etc. He is interviewing with Sally for a new position. The interview is goign extremely well, they hit it off, Bill is exactly what Sally needs. As the interview concludes, Sally says she is off to lunch, and will walk Bill to his car. As they get to Bill's car, Sally notices the swastika and other nazi parphanalia in Bill's car. Bill says goodbye to Sally and reiterates his interest in the role. Sally is Jewish.
So, will Bill get the job? Of course not. However - were his civil rights violated? Sally did not hire him based on his personal beliefs, that is illegal. Although Bill's affiliations may be deplorable, he still has rights. Now what it Sally was muslim and Bill had a cross or christian symbols in his car? Millions of Muslims were massacared by Christian while they pulled out from the Crusades? Where do we draw the line with freedom and discrimination. That was the point I was trying to get across with my posts. Interesting stuff for those that like to think.

All Bill needs to do is Prove it....thats the hard part. Unless Sally says I'm not hiring you because you're a Nazi then he doesn't have a dock-martin to stand on.

Thats where the JOP eff'ed up.....he openly told them why he wasn't doing it.

Gotta have the proof....

justplugit
10-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Nice work Clammer....:laugha:

:rotflmao: Ya, i think 7,500 of his 7,513 posts have been on the Poltical Forum.

Always trollin and causin trouble. :hihi:

JohnnyD
10-20-2009, 02:28 PM

Discrimination is not illegal. Discrimination of a protected class *is* illegal.

If two guys apply for a position and are equally qualified, except one wears brown shoes and one wears black shoes with white trim. Say you don't like people that wear shoes that aren't a solid color, you hire the brown shoe guy. You just discriminated, but it's not illegal.

RIJIMMY
10-20-2009, 03:22 PM
spence may disagree, hes the shoe expert. black shoes with white trim sounds goofy to me.

scottw
10-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Thats where the JOP eff'ed up.....he openly told them why he wasn't doing it.

I prefer the open and honest racist / bigot, at least then ...you know exactly where you stand with them rather than someone sneaking around with sick resentent for others while being "polite and kind to all"...and I'm not sure that I buy the "closet racist" argument...someone that looks down on others because of racial differences does so to elevate themselves and is probably going to make it known at some point, not something that you likely keep to yourself...like.....if you spend each day in your basement poking pins and casting spell on little dolls hoping that people die...well you are...ahhh...I don't even know....:confused:

fishbones
10-20-2009, 03:52 PM
spence may disagree, hes the shoe expert. black shoes with white trim sounds goofy to me.

Perfectly acceptable if you're at the bowling alley.

Joe
10-20-2009, 09:15 PM
I prefer the open and honest racist / bigot, at least then ...you know exactly where you stand with them rather than someone sneaking around with sick resentent for others while being "polite and kind to all"...and I'm not sure that I buy the "closet racist" argument...someone that looks down on others because of racial differences does so to elevate themselves and is probably going to make it known at some point, not something that you likely keep to yourself...like.....if you spend each day in your basement poking pins and casting spell on little dolls hoping that people die...well you are...ahhh...I don't even know....:confused:

Dude - If I was that blinked up I'd be institutionalized. I was making a ridiculous assertion in response to another. I've got a nice wife, kid, house, and a real good lawn. Many people here have been in my basement, there's nothing but a bunch of lures and shipping boxes and a rec room.

JohnnyD
10-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Dude - If I was that blinked up I'd be institutionalized. I was making a ridiculous assertion in response to another. I've got a nice wife, kid, house, and a real good lawn. Many people here have been in my basement, there's nothing but a bunch of lures and shipping boxes and a rec room.

Anyone with a good looking lawn, without paying a landscaper, is A-OK in my book.

The Dad Fisherman
10-21-2009, 05:24 AM
I prefer the open and honest racist / bigot, at least then ...you know exactly where you stand with them rather than someone sneaking around with sick resentent for others while being "polite and kind to all"...

I do too....I'd rather know so I can just avoid them like the plague.

I was talking from a purely legal standpoint. If the guy wanted to keep his job or not be sued then that is where he screwed up

JohnR
10-21-2009, 10:41 AM

Basement is fine, it's the rattling of chains in the attic freaking people out :tooth:

And easy on the Clammer, he's a little upset for causing this firestorm here. Not his faulty really, he just missed the sign on not feeding the animals :rotf2::biglaugh::wall::love: .

RIJIMMY
10-21-2009, 10:56 AM
no firestorm, good honest discussion. I can honeslty say after meeting with, fishing with or pm'ing with some of my main protagonists on the political forum that these guys are all good people. There are no hard feelings out here.

Saltheart
10-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Yeah but them boxes can be piled up to form an alter and those lures have hooks dressed with human hair. Stabbing voodoo dolls with fish hooks works just as good as using needles.

You can't fool us , we got your number!! :)

Being sometimes totally oblivious to reality , I once walked into a voodoo shop in New Orleans and told my girlfriend out loud that nobody really beieves this stuff , its just a joke souvenir shop. Half the people in the room turned and gave me the evil eye!!

I also walked into a bar once and the lady taking the cover charge told me it was a gay bar. My response was somelike like yeah sure , don't feed me that kind of crap. I then noticed that while there were both men and women in the bar , they were not sitting in mixed pairs.

Oh well , that's what happens when you grow up in Catholic RI and eat nothing but white bread every day. :)

buckman
10-21-2009, 03:22 PM
no firestorm, good honest discussion. I can honeslty say after meeting with, fishing with or pm'ing with some of my main protagonists on the political forum that these guys are all good people. There are no hard feelings out here.

JD hurt my feelings:rotf2: But I'm the sensitive type.

JohnnyD
10-21-2009, 05:51 PM
JD hurt my feelings:rotf2: But I'm the sensitive type.

Thanks. Thanks a lot buckman. I just sprayed Guinness all over my desk.:fury:

I agree, wholeheartedly. It's like MMA fighters stepping into the ring against former sparring partners. In the PF, the gloves are off and game on. Outside of here, I see everyone as a peer and welcome the day I can shake hands with many of you (with the exception of a select few - no, you're not one of the exceptions scott).

scottw
10-21-2009, 06:28 PM
:love:

RIROCKHOUND
10-21-2009, 06:50 PM
JBut I'm the sensitive type.

Good thing this forum is don't ask don't tell...

Clammer
10-21-2009, 08:28 PM
NEVER/EVER F #$%^&*() AGAIN ><>><><:smash:

fishbones
11-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Well, the other shoe has finally dropped. Bardwell resigned yesterday form his Justice of the Peace position.

Raven
11-04-2009, 02:44 PM
:happy:

JohnnyD
11-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Well, the other shoe has finally dropped. Bardwell resigned yesterday form his Justice of the Peace position.

Good.