View Full Version : Wetsuits???

agsurfr
10-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Pretty much new to the idea of fishing w/wetsuit.

Do you guys wear fins to get to your rock? Korkers to stay put once you're there?

What about reels? Completely dunked right? Does one need very high end gear to function? Spin vs. conventional?

I own waders and wetsuits. Never fished with the wetsuit but I can imagine a number of places I could give it a shot.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Fair winds

ab

ivanputski
10-24-2009, 07:09 PM
I can only speak from the perspective of a first-year wetsuiter, so my advice will be limited, but here goes...
I have always used waders, but purchased a wetsuit this season... I dont swim hundreds of yards in it, just use it to get a bit farther out to rocks I wouldnt try to get to in waders... also, I feel much safer in rough surf. I wear my wader boots and korkers... you need to get thick neoprene socks to fill in your wader boots... I happen to have a van staal200 already... I would imagine that wetsuiting with a nonsealed reel will cause corrosion very quickly, but maybe if its packed to the very brim with grease it might be ok... I wouldn't let not having a 700$ reel stop you from trying the wetsuit... it doesnt mean you have to "swim"... maybe try a spare reel at first that is decent, but wont break your heart if it gets a bit rough from getting dunked...
I would think conventional is not the way to go... especially if it has a level-wind...
If you have a wetsuit already, give it a shot!!! The wetsuit helped me get a 30#er during very rough surf... I was able to reach a rock my friends could not, and all they could do was watch me land 3 solid fish in 45 minutes while they went fishless... your first outing just do what you normally do in waders...

DJ Muller
10-24-2009, 10:35 PM
I can only speak from the perspective of a first-year wetsuiter, so my advice will be limited, but here goes...
I have always used waders, but purchased a wetsuit this season... I dont swim hundreds of yards in it, just use it to get a bit farther out to rocks I wouldnt try to get to in waders... also, I feel much safer in rough surf. I wear my wader boots and korkers... you need to get thick neoprene socks to fill in your wader boots... I happen to have a van staal200 already... I would imagine that wetsuiting with a nonsealed reel will cause corrosion very quickly, but maybe if its packed to the very brim with grease it might be ok... I wouldn't let not having a 700$ reel stop you from trying the wetsuit... it doesnt mean you have to "swim"... maybe try a spare reel at first that is decent, but wont break your heart if it gets a bit rough from getting dunked...
I would think conventional is not the way to go... especially if it has a level-wind...
If you have a wetsuit already, give it a shot!!! The wetsuit helped me get a 30#er during very rough surf... I was able to reach a rock my friends could not, and all they could do was watch me land 3 solid fish in 45 minutes while they went fishless... your first outing just do what you normally do in waders...

I second Ivan's advice. Good for starters! Definitely will change your game.

numbskull
10-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Some things I've learned this year.

Swimming in them is very inefficient. You basically are using one arm. If you struggle you tire very fast. They float, so trust the suit and go slow. Don't fool with current. Try the thing out with all your gear by day at a local beach.

The footwear you choose causes issues. Standard wading boots (which I need to walk to where I fish) lock your ankles and make it very hard to kick. These lighter athletic type korker shoes with studded felt soles, or dive boots with hard soles and korkers are probably better choices if distance walking through rock isn't a concern.

If you are swimming far or in current, short boogie board fins look like the way to go. Some NY guys put studs (nuts and bolts) in theirs.

Getting knocked off your rock and hitting your head is probably the biggest danger in using them (if you get swept away you could drop your gear, take off your boots, and swim pretty easily).

Landing/handling fish when using plugs is harder the deeper and rougher you go. A 15lb bluefish with a face full of trebles is a disaster. Carry a lipper or small gaff......or use eels like everyone else.

If you side stroke, prop your rod on your hip and hold it straight up, you can keep your reel above water much of the time.

They get cold in wind on either end of the season. You can use underarmor or other ski underwear and a dry top to help, although the dry top gets full of water and weighs you down when climbing up on rocks. A second neoprene top is likely better.

They are an advantage, but also a disadvantage. In late fall the thought of fishing while cold and wet is enough to make you shut off the alarm and go back to sleep.. This year I made my mind up to quit using it come Oct, stay warm and dry, and fish more conservatively with waders. Been working for me.

Back Beach
10-25-2009, 05:45 AM
Some things I've learned this year.

Swimming in them is very inefficient. You basically are using one arm. If you struggle you tire very fast. They float, so trust the suit and go slow. Don't fool with current. Try the thing out with all your gear by day at a local beach.

The footwear you choose causes issues. Standard wading boots (which I need to walk to where I fish) lock your ankles and make it very hard to kick. These lighter athletic type korker shoes with studded felt soles, or dive boots with hard soles and korkers are probably better choices if distance walking through rock isn't a concern.

If you are swimming far or in current, short boogie board fins look like the way to go. Some NY guys put studs (nuts and bolts) in theirs.

Getting knocked off your rock and hitting your head is probably the biggest danger in using them (if you get swept away you could drop your gear, take off your boots, and swim pretty easily).

Landing/handling fish when using plugs is harder the deeper and rougher you go. A 15lb bluefish with a face full of trebles is a disaster. Carry a lipper or small gaff......or use eels like everyone else.

If you side stroke, prop your rod on your hip and hold it straight up, you can keep your reel above water much of the time.

They get cold in wind on either end of the season. You can use underarmor or other ski underwear and a dry top to help, although the dry top gets full of water and weighs you down when climbing up on rocks. A second neoprene top is likely better.

They are an advantage, but also a disadvantage. In late fall the thought of fishing while cold and wet is enough to make you shut off the alarm and go back to sleep.. This year I made my mind up to quit using it come Oct, stay warm and dry, and fish more conservatively with waders. Been working for me.

THE POTATO!!! YOU FORGOT TO MENTION THE POTATO!!! :laugha:

Seriously, all good advice in the above posts. In addition, many of the largest surf fish taken this year were via wetsuit. Don't underestimate the importance of getting out a few extra feet.

Vogt
10-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I cant stress how far a good set of under-wear goes when fishing in the suit. Underarmor (or something similar) is great because it pushes the water away from your body and really keeps you MUCH warmer when you're out of the water and exposed to the wind/cold air.

It really is a great tool, but as previously stated, NEVER underestimate what you are doing. If you are swimming to rocks at night be sure of where you're going and the conditions at hand. I had a really close call this year, this is not something to take lightly. Especially if you are just starting out with swimming to rocks, etc. ALWAYS FISH WITH A BUDDY. Be sure that your fishing partner is someone who you're confident has the strength/stamina to help you in need be (and vise versa).

agsurfr
10-25-2009, 01:23 PM
I appreciate all of your responses. My inclination was experiment in a well known area during the day, carry my gear try climbing onto the rock, casting and so forth. I am thinking, as Ivan suggested, that I start out as though I'm in waders and gradually, I can become a bit more adventurous.

From a past life as a poor surfer, I have all the gear, booties, 2 suits, gloves, mitts, hoods etc. I was thinking I could actually paddle out on a board, but then I'd have to keep it tethered close by and that would be 1 more thing to worry about. My luck would have a 50#er get snarled in the thing and snap!!

I do appreciate your help!!

Thank you all

ab

Goose
10-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I know there must be a ton of areas where you can actually swim out to rocks but IMO the majority of wetsuiters use wetsuit's to they're advantage just by being able to take surf over the shoulder/head or very short swim's to near by rocks. Its safe and makes a big difference.

Too many times I've read westsuit posts/threads that you really need to read through the BS. Just because you own a wetsuit doesn't mean you been given fish-like ablities. All the modern gear in the world does give you an advantage but you'll always come up short in the confidence department. There is no tool that will take away fear of hights without climbing more often. Hook up with guys who are more experienced and know they're quary. I watch all ther extreme sports that make a short swim in the dark look like a walk in a cemetery.

Pete F.
10-26-2009, 12:03 AM
THE POTATO!!! YOU FORGOT TO MENTION THE POTATO!!! :laugha:

If you heat it up does that mean you can wear the suit in November?