View Full Version : Punkin Chunkin......

The Dad Fisherman
10-28-2009, 06:43 AM
The Troop camped out thia past weekend at the District Punkin Chunkin camporee. The Boys had a blast. Figured I'd show you our design for the Trebuchet we built.

Our troop took 3rd place in the accuracy competition.....ran into some technical difficulties on the distance throws.

They also took 2nd place in the Chariot Race and 2nd Place on the Cook-off...they made a Pumpkin Cheescake pie with Caramel sauce in the Dutch Oven.

Here's a couple of pics of the trebuchet....the weight was solid cement and weighed in at about 300 lbs. the only metal in the whole unit was through the weight and the firing pin...other than that it was all wood, pegged and lashed together.

The Dad Fisherman
10-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Here's a couple of action shots....

The Dad Fisherman
10-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Good shot of the weight....we had to build a ramp to roll it up and get it attached.

I am lucky to still be alive though...not because of the trebuchet, but because I lost my wedding ring somewhere in the field...the wife was NOT happy.

Swimmer
10-28-2009, 07:32 AM
How much did the pumpkins weigh that you were tossing?

The Dad Fisherman
10-28-2009, 08:13 AM
4-5 lb's

afterhours
10-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Good shot of the weight....we had to build a ramp to roll it up and get it attached.

I am lucky to still be alive though...not because of the trebuchet, but because I lost my wedding ring somewhere in the field...the wife was NOT happy.

get out there with a metal detector asap....and spread the word to the other folks there.......that or have a second wedding :love:.

The Dad Fisherman
10-28-2009, 08:33 AM
They don't allow metal detectors there..its a Historical site. I had dozens of scouters scouring and called the place monday to have them look. I'm just a "Yes Dear"ing fool right now until I can get a replacement.

Worse part is that last week she told me to leave it home since it was so loose....But I didn't listen :wall:

Backbeach Jake
10-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Geeze all we did in Scouts was tie knots , build rope bridges and start fires. We woulda killed for a trebuchet!!! Good on ya, Dad!

Raven
10-28-2009, 05:02 PM
you need someone with extra sensory perception capable of finding lost items
they can actually dowse the object with their body.....

this person can feel heat on their hands and zone right in on it

PRBuzz
10-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Looks like what has become the standard weather: a Nor'easter for Spring and Fall Camporee's. When I was on District Comm planning these events it was like bad weather was a given.

gone fishin
10-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Kevin I will have my secretary call your wife and have her ask for sweety........:love:..........Just kidding, dynamite pumpkin ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g rig. Thanks for sharing.:uhuh:

gf2020
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
I saw Brian's pictures, looked like a good time, as usual. Despite the weather, as usual.

PRBuzz
11-21-2009, 10:59 AM
PUNKIN CHUNKIN premieres Thursday, November 26 at 8 p.m. e/t on Science Channel and Science Channel HD.

Punkin Chunkin : Science Channel (http://science.discovery.com/tv/punkin-chunkin/)

Maybe some ideas for next year??