View Full Version : Rigid Table Saw

saltyric
10-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Not really a "plug building" thread, but related..... I am curious if anyone is using a Rigid cast iron Table saw, the $550 bucker from the cheapo? I am in need of a saw the can repeatedly cut straight lines...........The rigid seams to be a nice heavy saw.....wish I could do a Uni-saw, but not in the cards.......Thx

Slipknot
10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
I don't have a rigid but I do have a 3 hp Unisaw, for 550 bucks I'd look at the Bosch maybe, it will definately last longer than the rigid. Even the dewalt is most likely more accurate.

Pete F.
10-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I'd buy a used one on craigslist before I'd buy a new cheap one.

saltyric
10-30-2009, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the info. and i totally agree. I spoke to a "cabinet maker" friend of mine last night that said he would come over and take a look at my current saw. It's a good old Rockwell with a nice fence, but no matter what i do, I can't cut two panels the same.... Hopefully he can help set it up a little better for me. Long term plan = Uni saw!

Grapenuts
10-30-2009, 06:22 AM
alittle fence adjustment is all you need....and abit of tune up along with the right blade you'll be cutting straight everytime.new is not always better.

spence
10-30-2009, 06:31 AM
My neighbor who's a contractor uses that Rigid I think. I've used it a few times and it's a pretty nice saw. Just light enough you can move it around without blowing out your back, but a big enough table to actually do some real work. The fence is pretty decent as well...

YMMV.

-spence

blondterror
11-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I am a big fan of the older 50s and 60s saws made by Powermatic or Delta. As in woodstoves heavier is better and the older saws have no plastic and massive cast iron bases. I have a 1945 Unisaw and love it...

A great resource for finding and maintaining old "iron" is
Old Wood-Working Machines (OWWM) - Welcome (http://www.owwm.com/)

Pictures, user manuals, classified, and a killer forum on retoring and using American made woodworking machines. There are several guys that can help you out with anything you need to do with old WW machines...

just my 2 cents

chris

mikecc
11-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I bought a Rigid Drill Press worked great for about a month.
it now has lots of walk out on the chuck.

My Delta has a lot more use & is in better shape and it's 20 years old
I'll never buy another Rigid tool

saltyric
11-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Thx for all the feedback. Good stuff. The saw i have is a old rockwell/delta.....Hopefully my buddy can help me set it up correctly. The thing is a beast.........Not as old as my shopsmith, but close ;)

Any recomendations for a blade for cutting furniture grade plywood? My plan is to make some new cabinets for the new shop. thx

blondterror
11-05-2009, 11:36 AM
check this link for tuning up your tablesaw

Podcast #11: Tuning Up Your Table Saw for Perfect Cuts — Woodworking Online (http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2007/02/14/podcast11-tuning-up-your-table-saw-for-perfect-cuts/)

For cutting hardwood faced plywood buy a Forrest Products blade at Woodcraft in Woburn or Rockler on Mass Ave in Cambridge
They will hook you up with the proper blade for plywood

Boulter plywood in Medford just off 93 is a great place to buy your hardwood faced plywood... hue selection and good prices. They cut off area is also a great source for turning blanks

chris

striperman36
11-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I need to buy a better fence for my Craftsman, anybody have any experience mounting an new fence on an old 30 year old Craftsman?

Bill

Slipknot
11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
He's right about Forrest blades, they are the best, I have many. For plywood, the Hi-AT blade is sweet

blondterror
11-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Bill-

this link has a great review of the top 3 aftermarket fences that "should" be compatible with your older craftsman table saw

WoodCentral's BP Archives: Table Saw Fence Comparisons (http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/fence_comparison.shtml)

all 3 fences mentioned have good reputations. esp the Besemeyer which has been around for at least 10 yrs