View Full Version : Shrink grip

jake
10-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey guys; I need some advice on how to apply the shrink grip.
I have a cork grip. Now I want to apply the shrink grip on top. I have a heat gun. Is there a special way of doing it or just start at one end and keep moving. Or I have to start in the middle. Thanks in advance.
Jake
Also how much does it shrink on the length?

numbskull
10-31-2009, 06:13 PM
I've done it once. Start at one end and work back. Leave the tube a few inches longer than you need and trim once you are finished.

Jigman
11-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Like Numbskull said, move from one end of the shrink wrap to the other rotating the blank as you go. Go slow and make sure one section is tight before you continue down the blank. You ll have to watch heating the blank too much or you could do some damage. Did it a couple of times over cork tape and a number of times over the blank. If you go the latter route, I put a layer of wall tape down first and then a little epoxy on the tape to hold the shrink wrap tight. The 50% shrink that is often advertized is a little optimistic. More like 40%.

Jigman

jake
11-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Thank you for the advice. I did it the other day and it came out really good. Went over cork tape and it feels and looks good. Very easy to do. Just have to be careful with the heat.
Jake