View Full Version : Floating Needles- Inspired by Bassmaster

WoodyCT
11-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Having had some luck with a BM floater at a breachway I read up on floaters, BM's in particular, and decided to turn some out of AYC.

All are pretty similar in shape, with some being 8" and some being 9". All have 2 slugs in the belly along with differing amounts of tail lead to get the attitudes to vary.

Test swam them in the river and like the action, especially of the ones that float near vertical. Those ride nose out of the water with a serious wake at the tail- almost like a roostertail. The ones that float closer to level have less action than the tail draggers, but they are very easily moved around by the current.

Input appreciated.

WoodyCT
11-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Last of the 5.

That is yellow electrical tape on them so I can see what their dark little souls are up to.

** Sealed with E-tex, but had to deepen the tail holes to add more lead after sealing. Will the AYC be OK unsealed in that area, or should I drizzle some polyurethane down the hook hole to seal around the tail lead?

WoodyCT
11-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Duh!

Slipknot
11-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Sounds like you are learning
looks good to me

You don't have to worry about the ayc that got drilled after sealing.

go4broke44
11-03-2009, 09:56 AM
looks like me and you think alike woody! I made a bunch of floating needles around 8", similar shape, also inspired by the bassmaster.

I made most of mine just about level float though, for fishing reallllllll slowwwwww. That way they stay flat when paused, and give a nice little "dart" action with a little jerk of the rod. Nice V-wake as well.

for weighting I put a 3/8" x 1/2" deep just in front of the belly hook, and cut one of those 3/8" x 1" tailweights in half, so I'd assume about 1/4 oz fore and aft.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/go4broke44/DSC00021-2.jpg

Flaptail
11-03-2009, 10:30 AM
I would rather have a floating needle anyday as opposed to a sinker though some nights you need one a floater is always my first choice.

Nice work, keep em coming!:uhuh:

go4broke44
11-03-2009, 10:49 AM
I used some yellow pine for mine, but I've recently found that Cherry makes really nice needles, more consistant and dulls the tools a lot less than the pine did.

Made a bunch more same shape that are slow sink by just putting the whole 1/2oz tailweight in the end.

blondterror
11-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I agree on the cherry for needles. Nice consistent grain and more rugged than AYC But maple may be even better since it is more dense and really takes a beating well over time...

chris

Pete F.
11-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Birch is good, nice plugs

go4broke44
11-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I like birch too, (its what habs used) but birch has to be sealed good or it will crack. I have heard maple needs to be sealed VERY well or the same issues arise.

I chose cherry because its naturally rot resistant, holds up as well as birch (I've found it to be very similar) and its easy to seal. And cause I saw a post by Tagger saying its good :D

surprised bassmaster hasn't tried to ho us yet!:err:

Slipknot
11-05-2009, 07:44 PM
I chose cherry because its naturally rot resistant,:

really? :huh:
It will swell and crack and not hold up well if it's not sealed properly. I use it too but I am sure to seal it well.

Pete F.
11-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Just checked all my plugs, whew no rot. Had me sweating for a minute there.
Just kidding, I use all sorts of wood. You just need to find the holy grail of sealers.

go4broke44
11-06-2009, 09:23 AM
really? :huh:
It will swell and crack and not hold up well if it's not sealed properly. I use it too but I am sure to seal it well.

I have heard that its naturally rot resistant, but I still seal it regardless if thats what you mean. I just figure if it is actually rot resistant, than it will be less susceptible to cracking maybe? :smash:

bassmaster
11-15-2009, 10:01 AM
your gettin close with the middle plug :gh: dont get me wrong the others will work fine, ya tune the sticks of wood to your water and as well as heavy surf snot slow water. there is a feel fer a needle a certain way you know its workin just right. you will know when ya got the feel when ya feel a surge of water off the plug as a bass goes by it and turns, sounds nuts. :spam:master
P.S. I love bustin slips balls with bass an makin him whine on a beach