View Full Version : ST. Lucia fishing????

RoyL
11-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Getting married may 21st of next year in St. Lucia. Im going to need to fish. Any one ever been? i hate the tourist charter boats on those islands, but was looking to see if anyone has ever fished the island on there own and what to expect. renting a yak or surf....I tried to search it on line but every thing points me to the offshore charters. Im not picky just need to bend the rod....Im sure i'll catch plenty of small colorfull fish, but it would be cool to get in on something good. we are going to spend 5 days fishing in Florida on the way back( second part of the honey moon....but I don't think I can live for a week in st. Lucia with out bending the rod a few times or atleast every day.

Thanks for your help guys?
Roy

MAKAI
11-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Getting married may 21st of next year in St. Lucia. Im going to need to fish. Any one ever been? i hate the tourist charter boats on those islands, but was looking to see if anyone has ever fished the island on there own and what to expect. renting a yak or surf....I tried to search it on line but every thing points me to the offshore charters. Im not picky just need to bend the rod....Im sure i'll catch plenty of small colorfull fish, but it would be cool to get in on something good. we are going to spend 5 days fishing in Florida on the way back( second part of the honey moon....but I don't think I can live for a week in st. Lucia with out bending the rod a few times or atleast every day.

Thanks for your help guys?
Roy

Nice going, how did you ever turn the honeymoon into a fishing trip?

whiplash
11-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Awsome place. I stayed up in Rodney Bay about 5 years ago. The charters are iffy in May. Alot of the cheap guys are shakey they go like hell calling it trolling draging a squid. When I was there I didn't hear many good things from other guys in the hotel( late May 2004) My best luck was on a sit on top with a 1 oz Kast master - the little black fin tuna loved them. The blackfin went about 10 +/- lbs and fought like hell. I was at the south end of Rodney by just outside along the cliffs.
Soufriere on the west side was a great village -food, rum and some decent hotels and surf casting for small fish 5/6 pounds but lots of them along the cliffs. The grilled king mackeral is to die for ate it twice a day for 10 days careful of the hot sauce they serve with it.
Damn now I'm starving!!! Don't waste your time on the "volcano" bubbling mud pit of sulfer mud. Do hit the rain forest and the distilleries!!! Piton beer isn't too bad but then anything is good when its near 100 degrees. The market in Castries is great and there are all sorts of little restaurants that look like hell but the foods are great- be adventureous. I've been wanting to go back but the wife wants a new destination every trip- I could go native there real fast. Have fun

InTheHole
11-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Great place, we went on out honeymoon about 20 years ago. I am sure things have changed but the fishing was just so-so. We chartered twice and caught spanish mackerel, kingfish and barracuda....all small but we were using spinning gear so it was fun.
The island and people were great, I'd go with what whiplash said and don't be afraid to mix in with the locals, the ones we met were very genuine and loved to have fun.

JoeBass
11-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Great place. Spent 2 weeks about 5 years ago. pretty much what whiplash said....great food. In a back alley in Castries had one of my most memorable meals....flying fish with fried plantains and peas and rice. So good and fresh. Really good snorkeling.

eelskimmer
11-03-2009, 07:18 PM
nor fishing on st. Lucia so I will
simply wish you the very best.
You are a sharpie with a non-sharpie
personality, a person who deserves
the best that life can give. Enjoy!!

RoyL
11-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys, great info.....Going to give it hell while im there...oh ya and attend to the wifey......I guess im looking forward to the honeymoon in Florida the following week after getting married. Going to try a little barrimundi fishing. Place looks like my girl could have a blast catching fish...plus I hear they fight like hell. Thanks again.

RoyL