View Full Version : Scout Now

Goose
02-12-2003, 09:31 AM
It happens every year, come fall you check out your stands and expect to find that deer are on the same patterns, don't count on it.

Most of my scouting is done during the winter months. Visability is good and the rut sign is often still there. Its a good time to hang those permanent stands, cut shooting lanes & deer trails, mark your trails. Also an excellent time to scout new peices....very easy to get lost in late summer/early fall with so much foliage in unfarmiliar woods.

Hunting isn't any different from fishing, preparation is the key. Think back, did your stand sweak, shift or was it uncomfortable? Nows the time to take care of those problems. If you don't fix'um the result will be..... not seeing or shooting deer, or worst, a poorly hit one.

I try to have as many stands in place as possible. Take the wind into consideration, I have several stands that I think may have deer come out of a southerly direction(early season) and northerly facing stands for later in the season. There are alot of books and articals done on post season scouting.

As bad as I want to land that fifty... I want that buck of a life time under my stand. Once this weather breaks the days will get longer but time for me will be shorter. Between working and fishing, getting ready for the deer season will be in the back of my mind.

BTW keep your eyes peeled........sheds ;)

mikecc
02-12-2003, 03:40 PM
and look for sheds ,I got a nice 11 pt one side a few years back:drool:

mikecc
02-12-2003, 03:41 PM
another

Goose
02-12-2003, 06:04 PM
NICE find MIke!!! :btu: You ain't given that one to the dog are you??

I found these three years ago....about fifteen yards apart. Notice one was in water. After a buck looses one side it feels the imbalance and shakes off the other side.....Sometimes;)

I got lucky

mikecc
02-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Nice Rack.........AHHHHHH I Mean good set of antlers goose

mikecc
02-12-2003, 07:08 PM

mikecc
02-12-2003, 07:09 PM

Goose
02-12-2003, 08:03 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooo

mrmacey