View Full Version : Tiger Maple

ProfessorM
11-06-2009, 04:28 PM
I am looking for a 1.5" square piece of tiger maple, like 2 foot long or longer. Can be like 8" long, but I want to make a few plugs so that is why I say 2' or longer. I want to make a few special plugs just for looks and think that they would look spectacular in that wood. I know it is hard to find so does anybody have any or know where I can find some. I am willing to pay for it with cash or 1 of the plugs I intend to make. Either way, doesn't matter to me.

go4broke44
11-06-2009, 04:31 PM
I believe salty sells it in the lure hardware section of his site. Might be flame birch, but its essentially just as cool (or at least I think so)

go4broke44
11-06-2009, 04:32 PM
nevermind, his are only 5/4, although he might be able to cut bigger pieces?

saltydog
11-06-2009, 06:16 PM
ProfessoM I have a couple of small sections I wont be using, Ill post a pic A.S.A.I.C. If you think you can use'em let me know.:smash:
GOOD LUCKN GOOD PLUGGIN:uhuh:

blondterror
11-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Paul-

I can send you some tiper maple or figured cherry thant is 1 x1 .. only good for needles . PM me if you would like some pieces...

Chris

blondterror
11-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Here is a link to some needles made from the same board..

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/plug-building-got-wood/57595-tiger-maple-needles.html

numbskull
11-06-2009, 08:00 PM
I think I have an 6/4 plank, Paul. If you come up empty you're welcome to swing by and see if it is what you want.

Tagger
11-06-2009, 08:33 PM
They sell it at Downes and Reader in Stoughton .. The way the guy at Downes and Reader explained it to me its atcually select pieces of birds eye maple ..

ProfessorM
11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys. I will give Eddie's idea a shot and if I strikeout I will be back. I can get by with 1 3/8" sq. but that is cutting it close.

BTW George what is the actual size of 6/4.:confused:

also Chris I would like a few pieces of that maple, or cherry for that matter, if I could be so bold. I'd luv to make a few Stezko needles out of that. What you want in return?

numbskull
11-07-2009, 05:33 AM
Rough lumber is sold as 1"=4/4
1.25"=5/4
1.5 = 6/4
2" = 8/4
and so on
The lumber is not smooth, nor particularly straight so when you finish it on a planer you lose some. Depending on the grade it will have some (or a lot) of knots.

It is priced by the board foot (bf) which is a 12"x 12" x 4/4 (1") piece.
So if you buy an 12" plank that is 10 ft long and 8/4 thick at $5 a bf it will cost you $10 a foot or $100.

Lumber is sold by the plank. Sometimes you can get cutoffs and such, but usually you are buying the whole plank (if you want it shorter they won't sell it unless you leave them 6 feet or something like that). If you want it machined and cut to dimensions, most places will do that but you have to pay them extra and make arrangements to go back for it.

If you are looking for thick tiger maple in short lengths, you might try contacting the Eldred Wheeler furniture factory (I think they are in Rockland) and speak to the foreman. I'll bet they burn tons of 2" tiger maple plank ends.

If you just want a little, I think I can help, although how rich the figure is in what I have I'm not certain.

ProfessorM
11-07-2009, 09:28 AM
thanks G. for the explanation and the lead.

Slipknot
11-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Paul, come over tomorrow or tonight and scrounge thru the shop, I'll let ya
I know there is something that can work

ProfessorM
11-07-2009, 09:38 AM
sure I will take a look. I will give you a call later this afternoon.

bassmaster
11-15-2009, 10:06 AM
give me that plug PM
this is just a skank ho in advanced, I have not had my way with u in a while, bit im sure the plug will look pissa

ProfessorM
11-15-2009, 10:21 AM
LOL. Hey Dave good to hear from you. Hope life is treating you ok and sorry for the loss of your friend.

bassmaster
11-15-2009, 01:35 PM
thanks, i meber back in the day when i lived in falmouth
he was fishin the outerbeaches and i was sellin bass i caught along the islands.
one day he was tellin me as we sat around Jims shop bout puttin 2 pc of purple pork rnd om a gibbs danny and that was the only plug to catch fish. Funny cause there was this new builder called bob hanns and i took a chance on buyin his plugs , Man did they catch