View Full Version : The dreaded clunk!

PRBuzz
11-09-2009, 06:14 PM
JohnnyD and I make it out to PH this morning with a live well full of bait when cruising at optimum for the engine (5000RPM, 32MPH) we hear a clunk (or thud or something) and everything is DEAD. We notice an oil/gas slick coming from the engine.

Glad I am an UNLIMITED TowBoatUS member as we wait for the tow from Sesuit Harbor (2.5hrs). We make the best use of time live lining macs and watching tuna jump all around. No hits.

4 hr tow to Sesuit, 1hr ride to Plymouth to get the truck/trailer, 40 min ride back to Sesuit, 1.25hr ride back to Wareham to drop off boat for repairs, 45 min ride home. Ahhhhhhhhh that beer never tasted so good (Priceless).

JohnnyD gets a friend to drive from Mansfield-to-Plymouth-to-Brockton to get his car. Good move JohnnyD and you owe that guy a dinner!

I'll bet Niko is saying, "whew" as he was unable to go today.

So go ahead, just ask me how my day went!

BigFish
11-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Better now than April?? Sorry to hear Phil!

stcroixman
11-09-2009, 06:32 PM
at least the weather was decent today.

JohnnyD
11-09-2009, 06:47 PM
JohnnyD gets a friend to drive from Mansfield-to-Plymouth-to-Brockton to get his car. Good move JohnnyD and you owe that guy a dinner!

I get into the car and say to my friend, "Man, I owe you big time." His response, "Yeah, you do. Don't worry, it's going into the memory bank."

I'm 2 scotches deep and I've been home about 45 minutes.

PRBuzz is a stand-up guy. We made the best of a bad situation and I had a great time. And we came damn close to hooking-up while getting blown miles offshore. I look forward to fishing together in the future. Thanks again!

big jay
11-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Bummer - I think I saw you guys getting towed.

Did a 45' Provincial come get you?

PRBuzz
11-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Bummer - I think I saw you guys getting towed.

Did a 45' Provincial come get you?

Yea I guess that's the type. Only other thing we saw being towed was a barge. Great BoatUS Team is all I can say out of Sesuit, they do all CCB.

big jay
11-09-2009, 07:16 PM
I was coming in from the bank when he was getting you hooked up.

Glad everyone got home safely.

PRBuzz
11-09-2009, 07:33 PM
I was coming in from the bank when he was getting you hooked up.

Glad everyone got home safely.

Speaking of hooked up, did you hook up anything today?

big jay
11-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Got 2 fish today. 67" and about 69"

Lots of fish up there.

JohnR
11-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Had that happen years ago. Outdrive seized and locked up solid.

Feel your pain.

niko
11-10-2009, 05:41 PM
sorry for your troubles buzz. i picked a good day to work. looks like it's my boat next trip. it's alot wetter than your boat

Mr. Sandman
11-14-2009, 05:51 AM
What was the final diagnosis...?
Look at the bright side if you need to buy a new engine you have a few months to save up some money and in the spring they always offer the extended warranty for free.
Sorry for you loss...been there and it it sucks.

freebie
11-14-2009, 07:06 PM
powerhead toast? some good deals on new motors right now if you do some looking, friend just got a 2010 150hp etec installed for 12 and change

PRBuzz
11-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Haven't yet checked with the repair shop but it is a 2yr old Suzuki with a 6 year warranty. I've done all the required/scheduled service right on the time line. Hoping for the best.

freebie
11-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Did it throw a rod? Those are supposed to be really good don't hear of many failures
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnnyD
11-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Did it throw a rod? Those are supposed to be really good don't hear of many failures
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

That's exactly what the guys towing us in guessed. I'm curious to see what it turned out to be.

Mr. Sandman
11-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Usually when you hear a metal-to-metal hard clank, the engine stops and oil leaks out, she has thrown a bearing or a rod...I would think that you should be good under warranty for a new powerhead. They may try to inspect the fuel/oil and blame that to weasel out of it but I would think that a 2 year old motor should be covered no questions asked.

I know of several suzuki's that had major problems this past season...one blew up (the same clank you describe) the others had lower unit disasters. Over all they are good motors and appeal to most because they are couple K cheaper then their competition. (which is really no better)

All OB's are the same IMO...they are light duty machines, if you get 1000 hours on them count your blessings. The good news they are easy to swap out for a new one.

PRBuzz
01-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Here's the update. All work to be covered under warranty. They are ordering the parts for a (almost) total rebuild including a new powerhead. I’ll have to start the break in process all over again. They said there was NO WAY that Suzuki would offer up a new engine, although I said it must be more costly to do the rebuild (whole<sum of the parts)? The current engine is in pieces on the workbench.

Might take several weeks just to get the parts in the shop. Hope it is working again by Spring for trials and a quick 20hr usage for first service point.

JohnnyD
01-05-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm guessing the clunk we heard/felt was a thrown rod that tore everything else apart?

I'm glad they are covering the whole cost for you. It is pretty strange they won't replace the engine, probably don't want to provide a new warranty.

Let me know if you want a hand when you go to open the boat in the spring.

blaruffa
01-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Yamaha was they same way. I had the dreaded clunk, they basically rebuilt the whole powerhead. Everything new except the lower unit. The final bill to Yamaha for parts and labor was about 15K.

PRBuzz
01-07-2010, 04:59 PM
WOW, I saw the engine today since it has been torn down for evaluation and re-build. They have never seen so many blown holes in an engine, a real Picasso!

It appears the connecting rod let go (was this root cause or secondary???) and all hell broke lose after that: both side walls of the cylinder are blow out, pieces shot out of the top through the head and into the fuel injection system, they still have broken pieces down in the bottom of the cylinder and more damage I can't remember....

let's hope for a nice newly rebuilt engine by early April (or sooner) for sea trials.

Phil

fishaholic18
01-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Sounds like crankshaft broke.....happened to my Merc.......

MrHunters
01-12-2010, 12:54 PM
damn! under warranty?

PRBuzz
01-12-2010, 02:02 PM
damn! under warranty?

Yes ALL repairs covered under a 6 year Suzuki warranty, I was just about at the 2 year point with 400hrs of service. Sure glad I kept right to the required maintenance schedule.

striperman36
01-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Next motor I get sounds like it may be uki. I have 97 Johnson 90 commercial. I don't think it's ready for replacement but then, it could happen to anybody.

MrHunters
01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Yes ALL repairs covered under a 6 year Suzuki warranty, I was just about at the 2 year point with 400hrs of service. Sure glad I kept right to the required maintenance schedule.

i've got 300 on my 06 df115 zuki right now. warranty is up this year...
i can extend for about 1200 bucks I think. or roll the dice.

what model?

PRBuzz
01-12-2010, 03:46 PM
i've got 300 on my 06 df115 zuki right now. warranty is up this year...
i can extend for about 1200 bucks I think. or roll the dice.

what model?

'07 DF150. Standard is 3yr warranty, they were running a promo for 6yr when I bought.

PRBuzz
03-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Ready to start the sea trials this weekend. I think I'm (in)famous: Suzuki Japan made Atlantic Boat ship the powerhead and pieces to Japan for FMEA...so it is less likely to happen to YOU!

JohnnyD
03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
That's great to hear. Goes to show that the situation we experienced was very rare and that the Suzukis are still a good motor.

Enjoy that shakedown cruise.