View Full Version : Rod Builder Needed

chefchris401
11-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Looking to have a custom surf rod built and looking for a good honest rod builder. I just dont have the time to do it myself or want to mess anything up.

I know of Wickword Rodworks, CMS, and Fontaine Rods. Any others out there?

I dont know anyone personally who has had a rod made by any of these companies, so any info would help.

I know what I want for a blank, reel seat, butt wrap, guides, etc so I just need a builder whos reliable and stands behind his/her work.

Feel free to PM me if you want for suggestions or ideas.

Thanks,
Chris

GattaFish
11-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I have an unbelievable rod from Fontaine.... Not only is it just beautiful but it is everything I could have asked for,,,, Money WELL spent,,,

I also know quite a few other guys with them and everyone loves them,,,,, :uhuh:

Saltheart
11-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Pm me with some details and I can quote you a price

stcroixman
11-15-2009, 09:54 AM
I got a great deal on a rewrap by Bob at wickford rodworks last winter. offer cash and save some $$$

Fishpart
11-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Saltheart built my last two customs and has done several repairs for me. He is as honest a man as you will ever find.

pcfisherman
11-18-2009, 12:52 PM
I agree with Gattafish.....I have a 10' GSB that is just awesome! I have seen some other rods made by Fontain and without a doubt...the best I have ever seen.

Islander77
11-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Find Ray Boucher from Hope Valley RI.. Does phenomenal work and is one hell of a guy... If you want to see his work he has rods he has wrapped in Watch Hill Outfitters in westerly.. itll give the idea of his work...

RIROCKHOUND
11-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Wickford Rod.
get in early, he is always super busy, but is very reasonable and does great work!

chefchris401
11-19-2009, 11:08 AM
ive sent wickford rodworks 3 emails and called every day and no responses. even called when the shop was supposed to be open and still no luck.

i like his work but i cant reach him.

2 other builders have already given me quotes.

Islander77
11-19-2009, 11:58 AM
ive sent wickford rodworks 3 emails and called every day and no responses. even called when the shop was supposed to be open and still no luck.

i like his work but i cant reach him.

2 other builders have already given me quotes.

Chris next time your down near soco swing through W.H.O. look at those rods Ray built and if ya want ill give ya a number ok... His work is very very nice and I know a hand full of people that fish them above everything else so... He wraps mostly Lami blanks so...

chefchris401
11-19-2009, 12:27 PM
yes please send me his number. i still havent decided on the builder yet.

stcroixman
11-20-2009, 11:21 AM
wickford rodworks may only be open on weekends right now of it's slow. Try calling him 1 last time Saturday

Islander77
11-20-2009, 10:12 PM
yes please send me his number. i still havent decided on the builder yet.

Ill get that number for you... Just got a new phone so..

seabuggy
12-11-2009, 08:34 PM
CMS has been building rods for 30 years. He sells them all over the world. His people are very helpful and knowledgeable. They are in the process of moving to a new location on the Fairhaven/New Bedford Bridge. Not open yet, but soon. He also sells rod making supplies. As a disclaimer, I do not work for Charlie. He has been my friend for many years.