View Full Version : Surf Equipment guestions,

belmont116
11-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Question referance Surf reels: I will use the VS 250 -- VS250B models as a referance. I understand the baitcasting feature of the B model (I think). I have a lets say less expensive reel with the bait casting feature as well as one without. All things being equal in a given model reel, bait casting or non bait casting is there a diffrence in its performance? Or is the baitcasting feature just like an extra option I have not noticed a diffrence but my reels are two diffrent makes and models. This is probably a guestion I should be embarest to ask but but if you spell like me you learn to have know pride!

ecduzitgood
11-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I think you may be mistaking bait runner/freespool feature which allows you to engage the reel from free spool to drag applied with just a flip of the switch/lever (Van Staal reels do not have this feature). The b following the number is Van Staal's way to identify the color S-silver, G-gold, B-black. This applies to spinning reels. Bait casting reels are conventional try an image search for penn squidder if you are unsure of what I mean by conventional.
Don't feel embarassed we all had to learn from someone, the only stupid question is one not asked.

flyvice11787
11-16-2009, 08:05 PM
On the VS reels, the VS250B in particular, the B stands for Black, as in reel color. The gold model would be VS250G. The bailed Van Staals would be VSB250B or VSB250G and so on. I think you are asking about level wind and non-level wind conventional reels?

Islander77
11-16-2009, 08:18 PM
WTF:confused::confused::confused::confused::confus ed::confused: ok ok ok I throw convench.. Thats a "baitcast" you sound like your talking about a shimano BAIT RUNNER or penn live liner here which are BAIT FRIENDLY SPINING REELS... To the best of my knowledge VS does NOT make a conventional.... only spin reels...

ecduzitgood
11-16-2009, 08:24 PM
WTF:confused::confused::confused::confused::confus ed::confused: ok ok ok I throw convench.. Thats a "baitcast" you sound like your talking about a shimano BAIT RUNNER or penn live liner here which are BAIT FRIENDLY SPINING REELS... To the best of my knowledge VS does NOT make a conventional.... only spin reels...
Take it easy who are you addressing ?

belmont116
11-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I understand on bait casting reel I should have given more thought to my guestion.Thanks. One of my Spinning reels has has a dial at rear of reel if I engage this feature with a flip of a lever reel will "freespool" out to degree that I set its "drag" (as opposed to "regular drag" on front of reel that is normaly used when bail is locked in what I consider "normal" spinning mode.) I do not intend to take to much of your time and will consult tackle guy but I think you have got me back on track all ready. (I have used this "freespool method" if I am correct in calling it that when bait casting and letting bait sit as opposed to cast and retrive of popers and such). Thanks all.

belmont116
11-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Bait runner on shimano that is the feature I have and was confusing the heck out of everyone with. And mis took the B for black as a feature. Inall fairness to me, Daa, theVan staal ad I was looking at Only had VS250, 250B, not a G or S for silver or what ever. I am gonna reead not write and give you guys a break for a while! Thanks again (knuckle head me)

ivanputski
11-16-2009, 08:43 PM
I always thought the "B" stood for BAIL

The Dad Fisherman
11-16-2009, 09:20 PM
VSB250 has a bail...VS250B is Black

Islander77
11-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Take it easy who are you addressing ?

Not ment in any bad way.... Was confused thats all.. Again didnt mean any of that in a bad way

ecduzitgood
11-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Not ment in any bad way.... Was confused thats all.. Again didnt mean any of that in a bad way

Not a problem islander. I think it's just my age and after thinking about it I fiqured I had to be taking it the wrong way. It also looked like texting and that is something I loath; once again it's probably my age. My folks used to hate my rock'n'roll music because they listened to country and talk radio, both of which I vowed I would never like. Time has proven me wrong; because now I enjoy both...go figure. I am glad you thought enough of me to make sure I wasn't offended, for that I say THANK YOU! It's all good:)
Ed

Islander77
11-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Not a problem islander. I think it's just my age and after thinking about it I fiqured I had to be taking it the wrong way. It also looked like texting and that is something I loath; once again it's probably my age. My folks used to hate my rock'n'roll music because they listened to country and talk radio, both of which I vowed I would never like. Time has proven me wrong; because now I enjoy both...go figure. I am glad you thought enough of me to make sure I wasn't offended, for that I say THANK YOU! It's all good:)
Ed

Ed no problem I hear ya on the country and talk radio thing as well.. And im 32 :rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

Saltheart
11-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Some reels used to have a "fighting drag". That involved a dial on the rear of the reel and a lever. The lever was free spool. The dial could be set to the desired drag level and then a marker was rotated into place by pushing it in and turning the marker. If you didn't push the marker in , it traveled with the drag knob.

So you set the drag where you wanted it to fight a fish. Then you moved the marker to 12 oclock for that drag setting. then instead of total free spool (using the lever) you could back the drag knob way off for a sort of strile or bait runner drag. Once the fish took the offereing , you could instantly tighten the drag so the marker was again at 12 oclock, This enable a very rapid return to the fish fighting setting and the loose drag but not free spool while the bait was out.

A fighting drag it was called