View Full Version : MSBA Action Alert---Ask the Governor to sign the License Bill

BasicPatrick
11-18-2009, 10:35 AM
To all MA Recreational Fishers;

MSBA is urging all MA recreational fishers to call the office of MA Governor Deval Patrick and ask him to sign what is now House Bill #4309, "An Act Instituting a Salt Water Fishing License". This morning the legislation, as written by the MA Recreational Registry Steering Committee, was delivered to the Governor's Office after final passage in both the MA House of Representatives and the MA State Senate. The legislation includes many items that will benefit the recreational community such as meeting the federal registry mandate, charging anglers less than the federal registry, creating a dedicated fund for all license money, setting aside 1/3 of the fund for improvements to public access and establishing a new recreational fishing panel that will consult with the DMF on expenditures of the fund. The full text is provided after this message,

Contact in for Gove Deval Patrick:

Phone: 617.725.4005 OR...Go to the following web site to contact via e-mail:

Contact us - Office of the Governor (http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=gov3utilities&sid=Agov3&U=Agov3_contact_us)

HOUSE DOCKET, NO. 94309 FILED ON: 11/4/2009
HOUSE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . No. 4309

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Name: District/Address:
Charles Murphy 21st Middlesex

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

An Act INSTITUTING SALTWATER FISHING LICENSES.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1. Chapter 10 of the General Laws is hereby amended by inserting after section 35LL, as added by section 9 of chapter 27 of the acts of 2009, the following section:-
Section 35NN. (1) There shall be established and set up on the books of the commonwealth a separate fund to be known as the Marine Recreational Fisheries Development Fund. There shall be credited to the fund all recreational saltwater fishing permit fees collected by the director of the division of marine fisheries pursuant to section 17C of chapter 130, any appropriations, grants, gifts, or other monies authorized by the general court or other parties and specifically designated to be credited to the fund and any income derived from the investment of amounts credited to the fund. All amounts credited to the fund may be expended, subject to appropriation, provided that all unexpended balances remaining in the fund at the end of the fiscal year shall not revert to the general fund and may be appropriated for expenditure in the subsequent fiscal year.
(2) The fund shall be administered by the director in consultation with the marine recreational fisheries development panel established in section 17C of chapter 130. Monies expended from the fund shall be used for the development and administration of the recreational saltwater fishing permit program established pursuant to said section 17C of said chapter 130, to support science and conservation programs designed to improve recreational saltwater fishing and other recreational saltwater fishing improvement programs and for the direct and indirect costs of personnel or contractors of the division of marine fisheries associated with such programs; provided, that at least one-third of the license fees appropriated for expenditure in a fiscal year shall be expended on existing or new facilities and other activities that improve public access to recreational saltwater fishing. The director of the division of marine fisheries shall consult with the department of fish and game’s office of fishing and boating access on any proposals for public access facilities to be constructed with monies from the fund, and such facilities may be constructed in consultation with said office. The director shall request the panel’s input on the division’s proposed spending plan for the fund in the upcoming fiscal year, and provide the panel with a written explanation if the director does not adopt a recommendation of the panel.
SECTION 2. Section 1 of chapter 130 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out the definition of “Commissioner” and inserting in place thereof the following definition:-
“Commissioner”, the commissioner of the department of fish and game.
SECTION 3. Said section 1 of said chapter 130, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out the definition of “Department” and inserting in place thereof the following definition:-
“Department”, the department of fish and game of the executive office of energy and environmental affairs.
SECTION 4. Said section 1 of said chapter 130, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by inserting after the definition of “Quahoug” the following definition:-
“Recreational saltwater fishing,” the non-commercial taking or attempted taking of finfish for personal or family use, and which are not sold, traded or bartered.
SECTION 5. Section 1A of said chapter 130, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out, in lines 1 and 2, the words “of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement”.
SECTION 6. Section 5 of said chapter 130, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out, in lines 9 and 10, the words “of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement”.
SECTION 7. Section 17A of said chapter 130, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out the second paragraph.
SECTION 8. Chapter 130 of the General Laws is hereby amended by inserting after section 17B the following 2 sections:-
Section 17C. (a) The director shall establish a state recreational saltwater fishing permit program to comply with the state exemption requirements of section 401 (g)(2) of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, 16 U.S.C. 1881 (g)(2), and may promulgate regulations implementing the state program in accordance with sections 17 and 17A.
(b) No person shall engage in the recreational activity of finfishing, or take or land finfish for recreational purposes in or from the coastal waters of the commonwealth without first obtaining a saltwater recreational fishing permit from the director. The permit process shall require the applicant to submit, in addition to any other information required by the director, his name, address, telephone number and date of birth. A permit shall not be required in the following circumstances:
(1) non-resident persons holding a valid recreational saltwater fishing permit of any coastal state; provided, however, that the director has determined that the requirements of such other state permit is substantially the same as the commonwealth’s permit, and the director has determined that the other state provides similar privileges granted under its law to residents as permitted by the commonwealth;
(2) persons under 16 years of age;
(3) disabled persons, as defined in section 1 of chapter 19C; or
(4) persons fishing as a passenger from a for-hire vessel; provided that the owner of the vessel has a valid permit from the director as provided in subsection (c).
(c) The director may issue a recreational saltwater fishing permit to an individual or a business entity that is engaged in for-hire recreational fishing in the coastal waters of the commonwealth, and such permit shall be valid for all persons on board the for-hire vessel. The director may establish categories and related requirements for such permits.
(d) The director may establish categories of recreational saltwater fishing permits, including, but not limited to, individual permits, age-related permits and for-hire permits, and may charge a separate annual fee for each category of permits. The amounts of such fees shall be established by the secretary of administration and finance pursuant to section 3B of chapter 7; provided, however, that the director or authorized agents may not charge a fee to individuals requesting a permit who at the time of permit application are 60 years of age or older or less than 16 years of age. The director shall develop a fee schedule for all classes of permits and submit such schedule to the clerks of the house of representatives and senate not less than 30 days before such schedule is to take effect.
(e) The director may authorize agents to sell recreational saltwater fishing permits issued under this section and authorize agents who are not employed by the commonwealth to charge and retain a reasonable service fee for such service.
(f) The director may designate not more than 2 consecutive or nonconsecutive days in each year as free recreational saltwater fishing days. Any person may take saltwater finfish for noncommercial purposes on a free recreational saltwater fishing day without obtaining or possessing a license or permit or paying a license or permit fee as prescribed in this section; provided, however, that a person who takes saltwater finfish on a free recreational fishing day must comply with all laws, rules and regulations governing the holders of a recreational fishing license or permit and all other conditions and limitations regulating the taking of saltwater finfish.
(g) There shall be established within the division a marine recreational fisheries development panel. The panel shall advise the director on the development and administration of recreational saltwater fishing improvement programs, including, but not limited to, the improvement of public access to marine recreational fisheries. The panel shall consist of 2 members of the marine fisheries advisory commission and 3 members of the public at large, all of whom shall have specific expertise and background in the commonwealth’s marine recreational fisheries. The panel members shall be appointed by the commissioner for terms not to exceed 3 years. Any member shall be eligible for reappointment. The panel shall meet at least twice each year, and shall also meet at the request of the director or the commissioner. Three of the members shall constitute a quorum and the affirmative vote of a majority of members present at a duly called meeting where a quorum is present shall be necessary for any action to be taken by the panel.
Section 17D. Whoever violates section 17C, or any rule or regulation made under authority thereof, shall be punished by a fine per offense as promulgated by the director. All funds received by the commonwealth pursuant to this section shall be deposited in the Marine Recreational Fisheries Development Fund established by section 35NN of chapter 10.

Bigcat
11-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Fat freakin chance.:bs:

ecduzitgood
11-18-2009, 10:29 PM
I did because I think it may actually be good for fishing in the long run even though I doubt they will handle the money correctly.
Ed

Rob Rockcrawler
11-19-2009, 04:51 AM
Ive seen worse bills come across the governors desk. We are going to have licenses, and this doesn't seem to bad. I didnt see a price for the permits, and hope that it is reasonable. I like the fact that the board will be..."The panel shall consist of 2 members of the marine fisheries advisory commission and 3 members of the public at large, all of whom shall have specific expertise and background in the commonwealth’s marine recreational fisheries." If it is actually 3 people that are recreational fisherman they could sway the votes.

JohnR
11-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Don't get Mass jammed up the way Rhody is now. It sucks but it is what it is.

As of this time, in RI I will need to get the Federal License, I will need to get a Mass license, and probably a CT license for the handful of times I go there. Then, on the radar screen is New York & NH/Maine.

Fark

ecduzitgood
11-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Ok, I must be missing something and need some educating. Perhaps this could be discussed both pro's and cons? I look at the MSBA as a proponent of the recreational fishing comunity. Am I mistaken or just uninformed? Please help me learn by providing your point of view so I am not so ignorant (for lack of a better term). Pm's for those who prefer to keep their coments out of the public's eye is fine and I will keep your identities confidential, I really just want to know both sides.
Thanks in advavnce, Ed

JohnR
11-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Side one: Guvmint has been trying to shove a license at state and federal levels for years (see former director Coates), mostly to generate $$ but sometimes with an eye towards better data

Side two: Recreational anglers at large have felt a license flies in the face of your right to fish

Side 3: Big Guvmint - you don't have a license, your getting one, deal with it. Oh, and we want better data

Side 4: Anglers and Angling clubs decided that they would try to put something together that at least has some chance of being agreeable and got much of it to pass without too many guvmint getting their hands in the cookie jar...

That is it in a nutshell, wickedly condensed version

MakoMike
11-20-2009, 05:04 PM
You don't need nutting until 2011 and the way things are shaping up all of New England may tell the feds to go pound sand. What's the rush?

ivanputski
11-20-2009, 08:10 PM
so how long before the feds tack on another 10$ per license for their cut??? Its all just a shakedown... little promises here and there about how its going to benefit anglers is the lube...

JohnnyD
11-21-2009, 12:11 AM
so how long before the feds tack on another 10$ per license for their cut??? Its all just a shakedown... little promises here and there about how its going to benefit anglers is the lube...

Based on the bill, they can't.

MAKAI
11-21-2009, 10:14 AM
You make the mistaken assumption that our goverment does what they say they will.
Think of them as cheating spouses who happen to sell used cars.
Generally I don't trust a guy in a tie.
:uhuh:

Mike P
11-21-2009, 11:35 AM
You don't need nutting until 2011 and the way things are shaping up all of New England may tell the feds to go pound sand. What's the rush?

The last time an entire region told the Federal government to go pound sand was in 1861---how'd that turn out?

One last time--the Feds have the power to shut down a state's fishery if the state is out of compliance with ASMFC or NMFS regulations.

basshunter
11-21-2009, 08:49 PM

it's my understanding that you will need a license in MA in 2010 but it will be free yet still have to register, starting in 2011, it will be a paid license

Gary
11-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Thats like getting a fat girl in a bikini.

Take the F out of fat and the F out of Way, Then you come to the stunning realisation that there's no F in Way...............

macojoe
11-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Fresh water had a deciated fund at one time, and then it was thrown in to the general fund giving the fishery a very small portion back to run on.

Its all BULL!! they suck you in and before you know it bam in the ass!

No sir I no giving them permission to take away my free right to fish!! You can't even take a kid to the water to wet a line with out paying for the right!!
Glad when I was a kid my dad was able to do things with us for free!