View Full Version : Windows 7

tper
11-22-2009, 01:18 PM
I have a new computer 2 months old so it qualified for a free upgrade to 7 -- anyone using it? Little leary about my printer drivers and video etc will they just work when I am done ---

In all do you think it is worth the effort what will it buy me?

Thanks

Tper

PRBuzz
11-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm running Vista Home Premium(x64) and decided to forgo upgrading: 1) I have to pay $120 and 2) I don't have a problem with Vista, so if it really ain't broke.......

My preference for upgrading OPS is to do a hard drive format and fresh install, I've gotten burned in the past doing OPS upgrades over previous installations. Is this a comment in support of the Apple commercial: "Trust me"?

JohnR
11-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Windows 7 is much better (read less annoying) than Vista, quicker, and consumes less resources.

If you are going to do it make sure you know how to backup & restore first AND actually do it.

Running the upgrade, not advised. Running the upgrade from a clean install like mentioned above is the way to go but you need to know how to move everything back and forth and make sure all of your applications work in Windows 7 (and you have the disks / license keys)

PRBuzz
11-22-2009, 06:25 PM
........make sure all of your applications work in Windows 7 (and you have the disks / license keys)

How do you know if (old) software will work on W7? If it works on Vista presumably it will work on W7? If it did not work under Vista it will not work on W7, or maybe?

JohnR
11-23-2009, 09:22 AM
How do you know if (old) software will work on W7? If it works on Vista presumably it will work on W7? If it did not work under Vista it will not work on W7, or maybe?

You Google it and find out, look up the app sites, even try it out. Most of my apps that ran on XP are running in Windows 7 but some are more cranky than others like my old copy of Fireworks (which is due for an upgrade anyway)

basswipe
11-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Think of it in these terms:

Win7 is to Vista as XP was to ME.Vista and ME were lame holdovers until the next big release.

MrHunters
11-24-2009, 04:27 PM
love windows 7 so far. less resources as mentioned above.. things just work... oh man.. isn't that what mac people say?

tper
12-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Think I am going to do it -- thanks

JohnnyD
12-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Think I am going to do it -- thanks

Good Luck. My best suggestion is to buy an external hard drive to back up all your important files with - a good 320-500GB drive can be had for about $100. I suggest the Seagate Free Agent Go.

$120 from Amazon
Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent Go 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST905003FGA2E1-RK (Silver): Computer & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Portable-External-ST905003FGA2E1-RK/dp/B001FWCDQG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1260320093&sr=1-6)

Also, make sure to back up frequently used (yet often forgotten to back up) items like your bookmarks and email contacts if you don't use a web-based email client.

Lastly, get pen and paper and write down a list of all the software you need to re-install. Make sure you have the install CDs or download the software ahead of time to make it east to get done in one shot.

Again, good luck. Your computer will probably seem like it's brand-spankin new when you're done.

JohnR
12-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Good Luck. My best suggestion is to buy an external hard drive to back up all your important files with - a good 320-500GB drive can be had for about $100. I suggest the Seagate Free Agent Go.

$120 from Amazon
Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent Go 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST905003FGA2E1-RK (Silver): Computer & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Portable-External-ST905003FGA2E1-RK/dp/B001FWCDQG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1260320093&sr=1-6)

Also, make sure to back up frequently used (yet often forgotten to back up) items like your bookmarks and email contacts if you don't use a web-based email client.

Lastly, get pen and paper and write down a list of all the software you need to re-install. Make sure you have the install CDs or download the software ahead of time to make it east to get done in one shot.

Again, good luck. Your computer will probably seem like it's brand-spankin new when you're done.

I would go so far as to say what he said and to buy Acronis Home - the latest with Win7 support and make a recoverable backup and boot disk so you can always go back.

MrHunters
12-08-2009, 10:22 PM
acronis is awsome. use it for all our servers

JohnR
12-11-2009, 07:53 AM
acronis is awsome. use it for all our servers

I like ShadowProtect even more on servers :love:

PRBuzz
12-11-2009, 08:01 AM
My best suggestion is to buy an external hard drive to back up all your important files with - a good 320-500GB drive can be had for about $100. I suggest the Seagate Free Agent Go.

This time of year watch for specials, I picked up a Seagate 1T ext HD for only $69 at Staples. Happened to be a Black Friday special but sure these deals will repeat again if not before 12/25 as an end-of-year deal. Price of >1T drives falling faster than the <1T drives.

JohnR
12-11-2009, 08:18 AM
On second thought, I would recommend the Western Digital over the Seagate Free Agents - lots of problems with those.

MrHunters
12-11-2009, 02:28 PM
how is their support?

acronis :fury::fury::fury:

supposedly they have hired a few more techs

I like ShadowProtect even more on servers :love: