View Full Version : anyone doing the Black Friday craziness?

RIJIMMY
11-24-2009, 12:45 PM
i've never done it before, but Walmart has some great deals starting at 5am. I think I am going to head down @ 4:30, avoid being trampled, and pick some stuff up. I have no idea what to expect.
Also going to head to Bass Pro with the kids after that. I have a bunch of gift cards to cash in, maybe get some good deals. Anyone else heading out? Am I nuts to even try this?

BEETLE
11-24-2009, 12:51 PM
I have no choice, working at Sears Hanover Mall. :smash:

Whats nuts about trying to save a buck nowadays ????

FishermanTim
11-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Do you seriuosly think that there won't be any crowds at 5:00am on Black Friday? People will be heading there to "camp out" Thursday night.

I tried that schtick a few years back, but it wasn't really worth the stress.

My best deal ever was actually a store error in my favor.
I saw a great deal on a 16" chainsaw at HD, and decided to get that and a 10" table saw, also on sale. Well, the stock clerks failed to stock the chainsaws properly, so I picked up what I thought was a chainsaw, picked up the table saw and headed to the checkout.
They scanned the boxes, I pad and went home.

The next day, when I wanted to check out the saw, I discovered that they hadn't seperated the boxes and I ended up with 2 chainsaws wrapped up in one bundle. I didn't know it was 2, and the cashier never bothered to check either. So I ended up returning one of the saws for a store credit, and essentially got a free chainsaw.

RIJIMMY
11-24-2009, 01:11 PM
I think there will be crowds, huge ones. But I think it may be amusing, and I'll save some money.

BEETLE
11-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Not for nuthin Jimmy but I think Wallyworld will be one of the more crazier places, but the amusement factor will be quite high I'm sure.

mekcotuit
11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Not for nuthin Jimmy but I think Wallyworld will be one of the more crazier places, but the amusement factor will be quite high I'm sure.

Bring your camera and add some pics to:

www.peopleofwalmart.com (http://www.peopleofwalmart.com)

fishbones
11-24-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm going in to work. I'll be able to get a lot done without anyone bothering me. I can't deal with the craziness of a big chain store black Friday sale. I may stop at Ace hardware on my way in to work because no one camps outside for their deals, and you can do alright at 7:00 am when they open.

For those of you brave enough (or crazy enough) to do the big stores, good luck. From what I understand, all the big sale items are gone instantly.

BigFish
11-24-2009, 02:01 PM
No...but you folks enjoy yourselves.:hs:

ProfessorM
11-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I would rather have a colonoscopy in the mall parking lot than go shopping, esp. that day. I hate crowds or maybe people:confused:. I just got in from food shopping for Thanksgiving and that was all I can handle. I prefer to shop via computer. Gift cert. for everyone. bah humbug

flyvice11787
11-24-2009, 02:28 PM
There's no deal that makes it worth it to get up at 3AM to wait in line. You'll find comparable deals online if you look around a bit. If I'm getting up at that time of the day, it's to go fishing :D. I'll be working Friday morning, but in a grocery store. It'll be a morgue.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Slingah
11-24-2009, 02:33 PM
f#*k that!!!!!

eastendlu
11-24-2009, 03:18 PM
The only time i get up in the wee hours is to go :fishin:.

BigFish
11-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Besides fishing I sometimes get up that early to pee!!!

JohnnyD
11-24-2009, 03:33 PM
You couldn't pay me enough money to go anywhere near Rt. 1 on Friday Jimmy. The Misses made me go once and it'll never happen again. I don't know how it'll be a 5am, but at 9am it took about 45 minutes to get off 295 and into the mall parking lot - worse than the dead center of rush hour.

Tack on people not watching their kids, everyone driving like a nutcase, along with all shoppers already "on their guard", I couldn't do it again.

This whole time of year seems to bring out the absolute worst in people that go out shopping.

No Thanks.

PRBuzz
11-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Do Black Monday: buy on-line, maybe get free shipping and stay home and enjoy the day: NO hassels, no arseholes in the parking lot or stores, and no getting trampled to death at 5AM!!

Katie
11-24-2009, 04:09 PM
I'll be working. Haven't heard or seen anything about Home Depot, so maybe I'll be spared!

fishbones
11-24-2009, 04:23 PM
I'll be working. Haven't heard or seen anything about Home Depot, so maybe I'll be spared!

Sorry Katie, you won't be spared.

Home Depot Black Friday Ad 2009 - Home Depot Black Friday Deals (http://tgiblackfriday.com/Home-Depot)

5/0
11-24-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm in the market for a flat screen Black Friday sale flyer's come out tomorrow I'll review them and see if it will get me out of the house I don't like dealing with tons of people and not to mention the traffic:smash:

I'll prolly go with the Black Monday.

I heard that Old Gravy will be opening the doors @ 3AM the only way to get me out of the house at those hours is to :fishin:

The Dad Fisherman
11-24-2009, 05:01 PM
No...but you folks enjoy yourselves.:hs:

Yup, I'm with you on this one....not a chance in hell of me going near the mall friday

ProfessorM
11-24-2009, 05:21 PM
I'd rather pay full price then go thru that.

saltfly
11-24-2009, 05:33 PM
I would rather have a colonoscopy in the mall parking lot than go shopping, esp. that day. I hate crowds or maybe people:confused:. I just got in from food shopping for Thanksgiving and that was all I can handle. I prefer to shop via computer. Gift cert. for everyone. bah humbugmy sentiments exactly....I'm going trout fishin in Flaptails cove in Brewster.That's the only person I'll be with.

Backbeach Jake
11-24-2009, 05:35 PM
If they made it full contact, well maybe.

PRBuzz
11-24-2009, 05:41 PM
If they made it full contact, well maybe.

What makes you believe it is not full contact? Black Friday is worse than the Filene's Basement Wedding gown sale; stampede (don't get killed) then full contact to get a pile of dresses none of which fit!

bloocrab
11-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Jimmy,

Bring a thermos, camera and lots of patience. :jump1:

You WILL still wait in a long line getting there at that time but you will probably still get what you want. Those walking in at 9am will be S.O.L. ....if you're looking for big ticket items, TV for example....GO DIRECTLY TO THAT AREA. They may even have them in the middle of the aisles as you enter......grab the BIG $$$ saving items first ..THEN stroll around for the lesser stuff.

Slipknot
11-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Besides fishing I sometimes get up that early to pee!!!
that's what happens when you get old

You'd have to have rocks in your head to go to stores that early on that day:smash:
I'll be sleeping thank you

Backbeach Jake
11-24-2009, 06:27 PM
What makes you believe it is not full contact? Black Friday is worse than the Filene's Basement Wedding gown sale; stampede (don't get killed) then full contact to get a pile of dresses none of which fit!

I got caught up in one of those wedding dress sales back in the day. Never saw anything like it, chicks changing clothes right there like I was invisible. Afraid to look, unable to look away...

Slingah
11-24-2009, 06:42 PM
I got caught up in one of those wedding dress sales back in the day. Never saw anything like it, chicks changing clothes right there like I was invisible. Afraid to look, unable to look away...

:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::devil2:

bloocrab
11-24-2009, 07:58 PM
My wife always says "...there's a fine line between looking and staring..."........:wall:

Joe
11-25-2009, 07:12 AM
I like to go down to Wallyworld on Black Friday and bull-rush the doors from the rear of the line at 4:58, knock down a few old bastids, throw a handful of quarters up in the air, bail out of the line, and then watch the show.
I don't even bother going in - I just like to shove the cheap people.

MarshCappa
11-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Staying far away!

JohnR
11-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Bring your camera and add some pics to:

www.peopleofwalmart.com (http://www.peopleofwalmart.com)

That was 25 minutes of my life I will not get back. Kinda like knowing that the accident is already inevitable, just wating for the sound or ripping metal.

I'm in the market for a flat screen Black Friday sale flyer's come out tomorrow I'll review them and see if it will get me out of the house I don't like dealing with tons of people and not to mention the traffic:smash:

I'll prolly go with the Black Monday.

I heard that Old Gravy will be opening the doors @ 3AM the only way to get me out of the house at those hours is to :fishin:

For a small fee, send me your Black Friday requests and I will find you a comparable / superior deal online with no waiting :hee:

stcroixman
11-25-2009, 08:12 AM
F that.

Trout fishing, college football and more leaves for me.

RIROCKHOUND
11-25-2009, 08:24 AM
I like to go down to Wallyworld on Black Friday and bull-rush the doors from the rear of the line at 4:58, knock down a few old bastids, throw a handful of quarters up in the air, bail out of the line, and then watch the show.
I don't even bother going in - I just like to shove the cheap people.

Know how I know you're full of %$%$%$%$?
You'd have to leave your basement to do that! :smash::grins::grins:

Duke41
11-25-2009, 10:02 AM
My buddy is the manager of a store. He had 6 LAPTOPS AT 199 EACH. They are now sitting in my car, on the way to ebay. Black Friday suckers.

RIJIMMY
11-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Wow, bunch of wimps!
See - maybe everyone else will be like all of you and I'll stroll on in and get what I want!

For some reason, Im up for the challenge. If I get what I want I'll save @ $60. Plus pick up a bunch of cheap clothes the kids need. regardless, I'll post a review of my experience. im a firm believer that you have to try everything (that doesnt involve another guy) at least once in life.

FishermanTim
11-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Have some fun while you're in line and start spouting things like"What, they ran out of those (pick a must have item for this year)" and see people's reactions.

Fortunately, there isn't any one "must have" item this year, just the regular junk that becomes obsolete by the first sale in January.

JohnnyD
11-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Wow, bunch of wimps!
See - maybe everyone else will be like all of you and I'll stroll on in and get what I want!

The difference is that above, a bunch of men are saying that you're crazy. The psycho shoppers are mostly the women, and any men that you do see will already be pissy for being dragged out on Black Friday by their wife.:devil2:

Good Luck!

FishermanTim
11-25-2009, 11:25 AM
If you are lucky enough, see if you can "slip away" from the shopping hoard and find the sporting section if the store gas one. If not, look for the haedware/home improvement section. Anything that will ease the pain of having to drag you butt out at 4:00 am.

RIJIMMY
11-25-2009, 12:06 PM
The difference is that above, a bunch of men are saying that you're crazy. The psycho shoppers are mostly the women, and any men that you do see will already be pissy for being dragged out on Black Friday by their wife.:devil2:

Good Luck!

my wife thinks Im nuts too

RIROCKHOUND
11-25-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm a firm believer that you have to try everything (that doesnt involve another guy) at least once in life.

A little piece of Spence's heart just died.... :love::smash:

allchumdup
11-25-2009, 01:21 PM
RIJIMMY, you better be careful telling where you are going, this may be considered "spot burning"! Ha, have fun and check out the sports section, you never know.---LOUIE

spence
11-25-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm a firm believer that you have to try everything (that doesnt involve another guy) at least once in life.
Like sheep?

Sicko.

What's funny is when I was reading your initial post about camping out at a Wal-Mart at 4am I thought this was going to be one of those red neck jokes!

-spence

PRBuzz
11-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Today's papers (Boston Globe/Brockton Emptyprise):

News section: 1/2 inch thick
Ads: 2 inches thick

You'll have to spend all day today reading the ads and planning a strategy of attack for tomorrow's 5AM specials.

RIJIMMY
11-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Here the recap -
left the house at 4:15, got to walpole walmart at 4:30, parking lot packed, grabbed a spot and got in line, line moved smoothly. in the store in less than 5 minutes. Place was packed but everyone was civil, got 2 Nintendo DS lites for $98. Grabbed a bunch of kids pjs and track suits, $3. headed for the door, back in my car by 5:10. So far so good, now Im wondering what Im going to do since I was finished so early. Saw Old Navy was open, bunch of kids fleeze and shirts $5 each, all jeans were $15 so picked up a few pairs, out the door in 15 minutes, home by 6AM. Not a bad experience at all.

fishbones
11-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Here the recap -
left the house at 4:15, got to walpole walmart at 4:30, parking lot packed, grabbed a spot and got in line, line moved smoothly. in the store in less than 5 minutes. Place was packed but everyone was civil, got 2 Nintendo DS lites for $98. Grabbed a bunch of kids pjs and track suits, $3. headed for the door, back in my car by 5:10. So far so good, now Im wondering what Im going to do since I was finished so early. Saw Old Navy was open, bunch of kids fleeze and shirts $5 each, all jeans were $15 so picked up a few pairs, out the door in 15 minutes, home by 6AM. Not a bad experience at all.

What a let down. I was hoping to hear about the fistfights in line, the swearing, the old ladies getting trampled in the video game aisle, and the people getting run down in the parking lot as crazy people tried to get parking spaces. You make it sound so boring and uneventful.

I slept until 7:30, ate breakfast and came in to work at 9:15 to a mostly empty office. I'm almost done for the day already.

JohnnyD
11-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Here's an interesting article I read yesterday about how the Black Friday hype is being exploited by many of the major retailers (including companies like Best Buy and Amazon).

Black Friday Anti-Deals: What Not To Buy - black friday 2009 - Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5411057/black-friday-anti+deals-what-not-to-buy)

striperman36
11-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Go to LL Bean insist my wife help you and no one else will do. Complain to Andy the manager that only Paulette can help anyone in the store and she too valuable to be paid such a small pittance, particularly as I lie here recovering from partial knee replacement surgery.

5/0
11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Jimmy glad to hear you made it unscaved with all that time saveed you shouda hit that river I told you about for them Brookies.:fishin:

For a small fee, send me your Black Friday requests and I will find you a comparable / superior deal online with no waiting :hee:
John to late,I pulled the trigger on a Panasonic 42" 1080 120 Hz LCD package it came with a 7.1 surround sound system,built in Blu Ray,IPOD docking port yada yada for under 1K.:devil2:

The Iceman 6
11-30-2009, 12:45 PM
I got out there too RIJimmy and found some great deals @ Under Armour and Gap for my daughters which I brought with me. In/out pretty quickly.