View Full Version : looking for a new kayak?

chefseany
11-29-2009, 11:03 AM
New to the kayak game . Whats better sit on top or sit in? what r better brands for the money?

Cappucci
11-29-2009, 02:37 PM
All depends on what your doning with it. Fishing in the Ocean I would recomend a sit on top 14ft or better. I like Wilderness Systems, but I would recomend you try a few out and see/feel what fits you best.

JohnnyD
11-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Exactly as Cappucci stated, depends on what you want to do. I fished freshwater from a Sit In for about 4 years (and still do sometimes), but have only fished a SOT (sit on top) in the ocean.

I think SOT kayaks are much better suited for the ocean. More available room for storage, customization and I think a whole lot easier to fish out of. You don't have to worry about taking waves and then bailing out the water, it will flow right through the scuppers.

I bought a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and love it.

Rockport24
12-04-2009, 12:21 PM
good advice here. I would just go for a sit on top for the reasons JohnnyD mentioned. Before you buy however, you should really try to give a lot of brands a try and try a hobie (the pedal-drive kind) if you have the money (they are almost twice the price of the regular paddle ones). I have yet to try one because I'm afraid I would become obsessed and need to get one! I hear they are that good.

Still, if you don't want to spend a bunch and just want to get in the game, I would stick with the paddle type and look at Ocean Kayak, Wilderness Systems, and Heritage.

piemma
12-07-2009, 07:42 AM
I do not have kayaks anymore but when my wife and I were into it we bougt Wildernes Systems Pungo kayaks. They wer the balls. Sold both of them to Spence

Nebe
12-09-2009, 12:26 PM
I do not have kayaks anymore but when my wife and I were into it we bougt Wildernes Systems Pungo kayaks. They wer the balls. Sold both of them to Spence

And I believe he has not used them once.... :confused:

Megabyte
03-07-2010, 01:21 PM
If you're close enough ????

The Kayak Centre in Wickford has a demo day shortly at Wickford Town Beach. They had 20 -30 canoes/kayaks to try when I was looking.
Give them a call.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device