View Full Version : Createx, Ceramacoat, Apple Barrel, or ????

PeteL
11-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi guys,

Got another question regarding airbrushing. I realized during today's trip to Michael's that there is a separate section for airbrush paints. Till now I had been eyeing the "craft?" paints which there are a huge number of, and are much less expensive. Do those (like Ceramacoat or Apple Barrel) work in an airbrush?

I apologize for not searching the forum, as there is probably information available. My computer died yesterday and will be down for a couple of weeks, so I have very limited time on other computers.

Thanks,
Pete

Rockfish9
11-30-2009, 12:34 PM
to answer your question, yes they can be, but most need to be mixed 50/50 with water or and extender, some colors in each brand are more tempermental than others.... Ceramacoat is just about all I use and I love the stuff.. it took some time to get used to how much to thin it but I rarely have issues.. when I do, it is usualy self inflicted...

EricW
11-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Those paints work well as others have said if you thin them.
I have also found folk art paints to work well. I really like some of the metallics they have. Especially peridot. A nice fishy looking green metal flake paint. I also like anita's paints, but can't find those at ac moore any more. They had a couple of lines of inexpensive acrylics that they got rid of and replaced it with a store brand that is terrible. Haven't tried to spray them but you can tell in the bottle they won't work.
Last time I was at the art store, I picked up some Golden airbrush medium. It works very well. Golden paints are really nice too, but 4.00 per ounce.... I prefer it over the liquitex basically because it has a screw top similar to an elmers glue bottle and is much easier to use. I hate that flip top on the liquitex bottle.

I also tried Capesam's (I think) formula of 50 % medium, 25 % water and 25% windex. It made a very nice paint with beautiful atomization and adherence. Still not sure of the windex in there, but I really liked the results.

gone fishin
11-30-2009, 10:39 PM
to answer your question, yes they can be, but most need to be mixed 50/50 with water or and extender, some colors in each brand are more tempermental than others.... Ceramacoat is just about all I use and I love the stuff.. it took some time to get used to how much to thin it but I rarely have issues.. when I do, it is usualy self inflicted...

Ditto, especially the self inflicted ! The only suggestion is not to mix the brands. I also set the paint with a heat gun.:uhuh:

Striperknight
12-01-2009, 03:42 PM
I use all those craft store paints. Make sure you thin like the previous post stated.

Swimmer
12-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Somebody could have mention this thinning issue before now. Explains certain things with my work.

Grapenuts
12-02-2009, 06:43 PM
liquitex was made to fill in the pores of a rough canvas and make paints flow easyer over a rough surface,plus it helps thin paint,but in it's self it's to thick to use so water is added to thin it out,but water beads up if sprayed on anything, so by adding a few drops of windex[windex spreads like oil on water] it makes the whole mix spread out evenly...now if you want to put scales on your plug, but find sometimes your netting screws up your paint, just spray a coat of straight liquitex over your paint..let dry and then go for your scaleing...you can also add powered glowing colors to liquitex like blue or green or pink or or whatever floats your boat...then put your clearcoat over that after the colored liquitex is dry..this will add a colored hue to your plug.So which ever way you turn the plug it'll have that colored shimmer to it...class over.

eastendlu
12-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the info :buds: I have used it a little but you just put some mad scientist ideas into my head.

capesams
12-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Your welcome Lu...seems my good buddy GN feels the need to spread my nifty tricks around without asking first...cats out of the bag now...so let your mad man ideas run amuck....lots of fun stuff you can do with the mix..THAT I DIDN"T TELL HIM ABOUT.

JFigliuolo
12-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Your welcome Lu...seems my good buddy GN feels the need to spread my nifty tricks around without asking first...cats out of the bag now...so let your mad man ideas run amuck....lots of fun stuff you can do with the mix..THAT I DIDN"T TELL HIM ABOUT.

Not to bust your nuts.... but YOU let the cat out of the bag years ago. I stumbled upon that little jewel in the nether regions of the "other sites" forum. Your little recipe for thinner is EXCELLENT!

capesams
12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
This is true,, ,,but I left out the glowing powder part.Did I say u can put XXXXXX in it too?..by the way,I caught up with GN, he's now staked out in the front yard and the crows r circlin.

eastendlu
12-03-2009, 12:51 PM
This is true,, ,,but I left out the glowing powder part.Did I say u can put XXXXXX in it too?..by the way,I caught up with GN, he's now staked out in the front yard and the crows r circlin.

I will send you payment in form of pluggage for this info.Please release GN as i need him around to tell me more.:biglaugh:

JFigliuolo
12-03-2009, 01:15 PM

I also tried XXXXXX but I found that YYYYYY worked out much better in the long run.

Grapenuts
12-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Capesams released me..O! thank God.....I thought I was going to be crow bait...CS..I'm sorry,I lost my head[an almost the rest of me too]learned my lession..your humble servant.:love:

sorethumb
12-04-2009, 05:05 AM
I use liquidtex airbrush medium to thin the craft store paints it takes a little bit of figuring to get the right mixture you can get it at that 40% off coupon craft store I think it was $9 a bottle it is not by the airbrush paint or the craft paint ask and they will tell you where it is.