View Full Version : Too fat to graduate college?

JohnnyD
11-30-2009, 02:22 PM
This Pennsylvania college requires their students to have their BMI tested and those that are over 30%, have to take an additional course that meets 3 hours per week.

With high schools scaling back their Phys Ed requirements, a lot of kids these days aren't getting the physical education they may need to help them lead a healthy life. A widely accepted statistic is that over 50% of the US is overweight (I think that number might be closer to 60% now) and we're on track for a 50% obesity rate within 5-10 years.

A misconception with the schools program is that the students have to lose a certain amount of weight to graduate, which I believe is false. My understanding from the article is there is a requirement to complete the course.

What do you guys think? Link below.

College's too-fat-to-graduate rule under fire - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/11/30/lincoln.fitness.overweight/index.html)

Raven
11-30-2009, 02:31 PM
they are simply big boned

detbuch
11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
This Pennsylvania college requires their students to have their BMI tested and those that are over 30%, have to take an additional course that meets 3 hours per week.

With high schools scaling back their Phys Ed requirements, a lot of kids these days aren't getting the physical education they may need to help them lead a healthy life. A widely accepted statistic is that over 50% of the US is overweight (I think that number might be closer to 60% now) and we're on track for a 50% obesity rate within 5-10 years.

A misconception with the schools program is that the students have to lose a certain amount of weight to graduate, which I believe is false. My understanding from the article is there is a requirement to complete the course.

What do you guys think? Link below.

College's too-fat-to-graduate rule under fire - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/11/30/lincoln.fitness.overweight/index.html)

It sounds, from reading the article, that you are right about students not having to lose weight, but only that those with high BMI must take the course. The student who objected to being part of those singled out because of their physical condition may have a point--why not have all students take the class since the information might be some of the most important they get in influencing the quality of the rest of their life.

PaulS
11-30-2009, 03:04 PM
I bet her BMI is beyond "slightly high". She should have complained when it was being implemented.

While I don't necessarily agree w/this, I think our schools need to teach more than the 3 Rs.

JohnnyD
11-30-2009, 03:31 PM
It sounds, from reading the article, that you are right about students not having to lose weight, but only that those with high BMI must take the course. The student who objected to being part of those singled out because of their physical condition may have a point--why not have all students take the class since the information might be some of the most important they get in influencing the quality of the rest of their life.

This was briefly addressed in the article. The school would like for all students to take the class, but doesn't have enough funding to support it at the moment.

In the Men's Health last month (or maybe the one before), there was a study relating increased grades with students that began working out. This has the potential to no just improve their health, but also their grades and future job prospects.

basswipe
11-30-2009, 03:39 PM
The only requirement for graduating should be academic.Anything beyond this is something that should be taught at home from the beginning.

PC'ness rears its ugly head again.

Jimbo
11-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't understand the whole phys ed idea in our district at all. No idea what they do in high school anymore. The middle school kids have "cycles" during the year now, which phys ed is part. So a kid might have 8 weeks straight of phys ed, but if the next cycle is study hall, they get 8 weeks of nothing physical to replace it, and if the cycle following that is health, well that's 8 more weeks of no physical anything (except the sex-ed part which does get their little hearts racing a little).
On top of phys ed in schools, I feel we're constantly hammered by what kids get to eat in school and and what they should bring in to eat. We pack my kid the healthy lunch she asked for and she freely admits she tosses most of it. When she does buy it's chicken nuggets and french fries, and sometimes just the fries. The whole table buys fries and them make a big pile in the middle of the table for anyone to grab a handful. Mmmm healthy and sanitary. She said the only thing the teachers and aides say is, "Keep your voice down and don't make a mess," and "Don't lean back in your chair."
Any place you see kids hanging out anymore, it's obvious more than half could stand to lose a few pounds.

JohnnyD
11-30-2009, 05:01 PM
The only requirement for graduating should be academic.Anything beyond this is something that should be taught at home from the beginning.

PC'ness rears its ugly head again.

What exactly is the "PC'ness" in this?

Actually, the politically correct way to go about it would be to state that all people should be accepted as they are, regardless of their weight. Fat chicks need lovin' too, no?

Nice try though.

buckman
11-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Fat chicks need lovin' too, no?

That's why God invented beer JD:buds:

The Dad Fisherman
11-30-2009, 05:32 PM

Yep.....People go to college for a degree....Thats It

Jimbo
11-30-2009, 05:34 PM
On the other side of the coin, with the exception of the class that entered in 2006 when they started the campaign, and therefore might have a valid reason to argue it, any student entering in subsequent years would have (or should have) been informed of the BMI policy. If he or she didn't like it then they shopuld not have applied there. If he or she got fat there after they enrolled, don't badmouth it and say there's something wrong with the policy, or like many will do these days, use the , "Oh I didn't know it applied to me" excuse. Instead say, "S#!&, I am fat, thanks for helping me deal with it."
I graduated from a small school in PA that like many have a community service requirement prior to graduating. My fraternity was assigned the State School. I bitched and moaned and when I finally got involved in it, it turned out to be one of the most rewarding experiences I had in my four years of college. I would strongly disagree with anyone who said college should just be about academics and I think that goes for high school, middle school and elementary schools, also.

JohnnyD
11-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Yep.....People go to college for a degree....Thats It

People also have numerous choices as to where they go for that degree.

Joe
12-01-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm surprised any college would add any obstacle that could damage admissions.

College at the usual age does more for an individual than just provide an education. People will tell you that the experience of moving away and breaking with the people from home makes for a more poised, confident adult. It's true for the most part. I went as an adult and I could see a major distinction between 21 year-old seniors and people close to that age that I worked with.

JohnnyD
12-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm surprised any college would add any obstacle that could damage admissions.

College at the usual age does more for an individual than just provide an education. People will tell you that the experience of moving away and breaking with the people from home makes for a more poised, confident adult. It's true for the most part. I went as an adult and I could see a major distinction between 21 year-old seniors and people close to that age that I worked with.

A policy like this may decrease the number of applicants, but over the long run, improve the school overall. Fostering a campus-wide air of healthy habits can make students healthier, perform better in classes and potentially have weight in the hiring process.
Human Resources Person: "Both these candidates are equally qualified with similar experience and GPAs, but this person graduated from XXXX school which encourages healthy lifestyles and further motivates their students."

Having just gone through 30 interviewees for 2 positions a few months ago, every little bit helps someone stand out.

Also, the nice thing about being a private institution is that they can essentially do just about whatever they want within reason.

Saltheart
12-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Some self rightious skinny beach thought that one up. A fat person with a 4.0 can't graduate but some Ali Mcbeal anorexic with a 2.0 gets the diploma.

If they tried that at an engineering school , major campus facilities like sewer , water and heating would suddenly start to have all kinds of failure issues. Its a bad idea to get the smart fat kids angry!! :)

OH BTW , I put in my height and weight from when I was on my college wrestling team and it says a 190 pound wrestler over 6 feet tall is within 4 % of being classified obese. YEAH RIGHT!! Something wrong with that BMI calculation..

JohnnyD
12-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Some self rightious skinny beach thought that one up. A fat person with a 4.0 can't graduate but some Ali Mcbeal anorexic with a 2.0 gets the diploma.

If they tried that at an engineering school , major campus facilities like sewer , water and heating would suddenly start to have all kinds of failure issues. Its a bad idea to get the smart fat kids angry!! :)

OH BTW , I put in my height and weight from when I was on my college wrestling team and it says a 190 pound wrestler over 6 feet tall is within 4 % of being classified obese. YEAH RIGHT!! Something wrong with that BMI calculation..

Did you read the article? People with a BMI over 30 just have to take the class *sometime during their college career*. There doesn't appear to be any mandate of "you have to be skinny enough in order to graduate". They want people to get the healthy education and then make the choice for themselves.

You're right that the BMI calculation isn't the best gauge. As mentioned in the article, to rectify a situation where someone has a lot of muscle but calculates a BMI over 30, a waist measurement is taken as well.

They really should do is a Body Composition Test. I get them done at my gym every couple of months. Two electrodes on your foot, two on your hand and you get a read out of your % muscle and % fat, accurate to within something like .5%. My last measurement was 4.2%.

This is an invaluable tool for people trying to put on mass. Lets you know exactly how much muscle you're gaining and when you should go into a cutting phase.

Jimbo
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
I got the impression you just had to take the class to graduate, and it sounds like it's the equivalent of a half semester elective that some colleges are now requiring students to take, only this one would be mandatory for some. It's not a major inconvenience, pretty much all you have to do is show up. I bet others with kids in college have heard about these short courses. My daughter (who almost didn't receive her diploma from high school because, get this, she didn't put in enough community service hours) transferred from one college to another. In the first, freshman year, all incoming students had to complete half a semester of Basic Computer Skills. Think about what the average computer saavy kid today might have to say about that requirement. In the school she's in now it's 8 weeks of Health. No books, no credit, P/F final exam. If she attends and learns nothing I will still be happy because it's time the delinquent boyfriend won't have his paws all over her.

The Dad Fisherman
12-01-2009, 05:37 PM

THAT is a great point....what about people with to LOW of a BMI....do they have to attend a course on healthy lifestyles too.....

Sounds to me like they are picking on the Horizontally Challenged

JohnnyD
12-01-2009, 06:29 PM
THAT is a great point....what about people with to LOW of a BMI....do they have to attend a course on healthy lifestyles too.....

Sounds to me like they are picking on the Horizontally Challenged

Majority of people in this country are Horizontally challenged.:devil2:

Saltheart
12-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Actually , at WPI where I did my BS you were required to take 4 PE classes over the 4 years. Most took them 2 each year as freshman and sophmores. All it took to pass a PE class in college was to show up about 75 % of the time. You could be a 50 pound weakling or a 450 pound fat lady in the circus but all you had to do was show up 3/4 of the time. :)

However this was required of everyone , no distinction between fat and skinny people.

JohnnyD
12-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Actually , at WPI where I did my BS you were required to take 4 PE classes over the 4 years. Most took them 2 each year as freshman and sophmores. All it took to pass a PE class in college was to show up about 75 % of the time. You could be a 50 pound weakling or a 450 pound fat lady in the circus but all you had to do was show up 3/4 of the time. :)

However this was required of everyone , no distinction between fat and skinny people.

We had similar at UConn, but I think it was only 2 classes total.

The school has said that they want to roll this out for everyone, but don't have the funds.