View Full Version : GPS tracking

Mr. Sandman
12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
I placed a gps tracking device in a boat I am having shipped from FL to MA (unbenounced to the shipping co.) and have been following the progress... This is excellent technology. I was able to rent the device for a reasonable cost and the piece of mind it gives me just knowing where it is was well worth the cost. You can follow the progress of the device almost in real time (about 20 sec delay) . I simply have mine configured to report in every 10 min . Below is a sample of one of screen images. The software is pretty cool and allows for very high detail tracking tied in thru google earth as well.
So if any of you are about to do something similar, I highly recommend tossing one of these units on board someplace discrete...it will run for a month on its own batteries with modest use.

JohnnyD
12-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I just sent 2 guys to drive from Foxboro to Miami. I wish I had remembered your first post before they left. I trust the guys with the truck, but more as an additional security measure.

What did it cost you to rent? PM me if you'd like. Thanks!

Mr. Sandman
12-01-2009, 03:59 PM
It is like 150/mo with a 500 CC deposit (which you get back upon return of the unit). I have seen them for sale for about $500-895, the really covert ones are more expensive. This one is about the size of a hand held GPS and has an antenna on a wire. Both have strong magnets so you can attach it to a vehicle frame.
The problem with buying one is that you need to subscribe to a cell service for the thing...if you renting it, it is ready to go, just put in the 8 AA battery's and close it up, install the software and your good to go.

Here is where i got it from.
http://www.rentgps.net/index.php

JohnnyD
12-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Awesome. Thanks a ton. I'll have to look into it for our next long distance trip.

May even end up buy one to put in our delivery vans.

Thanks again!

PRBuzz
12-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Awesome. Thanks a ton. I'll have to look into it for our next long distance trip.

May even end up buy one to put in our delivery vans.

Thanks again!

If you own/lease vehicles and want a real-time GPS, check out:

GuidePoint Systems - Track your vehicle - Get: directions, road information, Emergency help, Restaurant or hotel reservations, Your cars GPS location (http://www.guidepointsystems.com/index.shtml)

I've got a unit in my Tundra and can log in 24/7 and locate the vehicle. They also provide business solutions.

JohnnyD
12-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks, I'll look into it.

striperman36
12-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Still would love to see it when it arrives and talk to you about the transaction

Bill