View Full Version : Rod Repair question

vineyardblues
12-03-2009, 03:13 PM
OK, so I was told that if you lose the inside of one of your guides that it will need a complete new one ?

Any idea who and how much this repair will cost ?
I have 3 rods that need help :grins:

Thanks in advance

VB

mikecc
12-03-2009, 06:04 PM
it all depends on the size ,style and brand of guides.
guide cost then $4--$6 per guide labor

ProfessorM
12-04-2009, 10:22 AM
don't bother you will just break them again anyway. The busted guides shouldn't effect your catching percentage either:uhuh::biglaugh:

SeaWolf
12-04-2009, 11:18 AM
mike pretty much summed it up. it does depend on the repair shop/builder too as far as rates. there are quite a few places in MA that repair, which is where i think you are from, but i forgot. you dont live on MV, do you?
i wouldn't suggest replacing just the ring either. when it falls out or cracks while you are out fishing you'll curse yourself for trying to save a nickle.

vineyardblues
12-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks Paul, I might as well just sit in my boat with a broken rod in my yard, You are correct :rotf2:

Yes , I live in central Mass, where can I take 3 st crox rods for repair with NEW :) guides

ps, Paul if I have to drop them off maybe I can swing by your house and pick up the 1/2 doz you broke :biglaugh:

Slipknot
12-04-2009, 12:51 PM
ps, Paul if I have to drop them off maybe I can swing by your house and pick up the 1/2 doz you broke :biglaugh:

and bring me a plug while you're at it

ProfessorM
12-04-2009, 06:30 PM
oh you actually take the boat out of the garage.:bath:

Mine are already fixed:bshake:

maddog2020
12-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Peter: closest guy to us would be Natick Outdoor Store. Bring them down and see Glenn or Truck. Jay -> he does tube & worm rigs, custom rods and gaffs ..... his day job he is a car mechanic. Some stuff there so you can get an idea of his craftsmanship.

I used Zap-a-gap for a repair on an insert I popped out of my factory St Croix Premier 8.5'-2pc rod and it has been on for at least 4 yrs now. I just hate scraping the blanks and worry about nicking it so I've been a chicken. ;) None of my beach fish have been that big recently so no need to worry about it coming off .... LOL. Best way is to remove it and re-wrap it for perminent fix. I still am not crazy about Pac Bay guides on most of the St Croixs and Loomis.

Are the ceramic inserts pressed in or they glued in ?? In the old days they had the plastic ring around the ceramic and metal frame. Melted a few of those rings putting on tip tops as a kid. :o

Swimmer
12-08-2009, 02:42 PM
If the ceramic ring fell out it might be cracked as well, which will only cause you know what. Replace the whole guide, its the prudent thing to do.

Saltheart
12-08-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm in Cumberland , RI if that's closer for you. I'll do the repairs but you will have to leave the rods and pick them up at later date. It can't be done right if you want to just wait for the repair.

PM me if interested.