View Full Version : wood wonder?

jeffthechef
12-08-2009, 06:07 AM
so i ripped and sized a fresh birch tree i found down in the woods. i took a piece of dried birch blank (from a lumber yard) and put it next to a fresh piece the same size and it weighed more? will the density and shape of the fresh cut change that much? i painted the ends and stacked it, i figure 6-8 months i have a lot of needles! thanks.
jeff

numbskull
12-08-2009, 08:09 AM
so i ripped and sized a fresh birch tree i found down in the woods. i took a piece of dried birch blank (from a lumber yard) and put it next to a fresh piece the same size and it weighed more? will the density and shape of the fresh cut change that much? i painted the ends and stacked it, i figure 6-8 months i have a lot of needles! thanks.
jeff

There is an excellent book called "Understanding Wood" by Bruce Hoadley. Fascinating stuff, maybe your library can get it. Or buy it if you plan to work with wood much.

Fresh lumber is saturated with water. Birch is about 70-75 % water. It will dry outdoors to about 12-15% (indoors to about 8-9%). It will shrink as it dries (primarily along the grain lines). Supposedly wet lumber is a joy to turn, but round sections will go oval as they dry.

Pete F.
12-08-2009, 08:54 AM
It should'nt take 6-8 months. They are now small pieces of wood. Google green wood turning and read a few things about it and then try them. Plugs are a lot easier than bowls to deal with green.

GattaFish
12-08-2009, 10:49 AM
ok,, not to hijack this thread but,, I have a large dead birch that I left standing for about 2 years... Its in the woods so not worried if it falls,,,

but I would like to cut it down,, just need to find someone to cut it up to boards or some ideas on how to handle it,,,, thanks,,

Raven
12-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Dead Birch softens fast in the woods
that's why wood peckers choose them
and carve out their nesting holes

numbskull
12-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Slicing up whole trees to make lumber is rarely worth it unless you have something valuable. Birch is cheap. Check out a hardwood dealer.

jeffthechef
12-08-2009, 05:27 PM
thanks guys! george you are right it can be a PITA, but, i get an extra charge outta using wood i turn up, then catching on it. its the total package and its free! PLUS i get to use my tablesaw:drool: any excuse to play is good for me! thanks gents, will try to get that book and may turn green to, an oval needle sounds good to me!
jeff

jeffthechef
12-08-2009, 05:28 PM
ok,, not to hijack this thread but,, I have a large dead birch that I left standing for about 2 years... Its in the woods so not worried if it falls,,,

but I would like to cut it down,, just need to find someone to cut it up to boards or some ideas on how to handle it,,,, thanks,,

PM me if you want, maybe i can offer some insight.
jeff