View Full Version : Oak

Zeal
12-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Either I'm using the search function wrong or my internet is funky since I get zero matches with this word.

Anyway, the only other dowels I keep seeing are Oak. Can anyone shed any light on to whether this wood is too heavy? High Split %? Action? Anything?

Zeal
12-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah that was my thinking, the only dowels in stores are Pine, Poplar, and "Hardwood" (seriously that's all its called so I just nicknamed it as Mystery Wood). I don't have a lathe, only filing tools and sand paper.

Any idea on what exactly those "Hardwood" dowels are in Home Depot/Lowe's stores? Are they as bad as Poplar?

Zeal
12-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Sorry got a little confused since Hardwood was used twice for a few different things :smash:

TY

nightfighter
12-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Poplar is a swamp wood, It actually grows in swamps. While I prefer its stability for interior trimwork, you would never use it for exteriors, as it will cup and twist as soon as it gets wet. Therefore not good for plugs.

nightfighter
12-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Did not know that, Scott. I stand corrected... I'm just a carpenter, so maybe I just stick to that.....

RIROCKHOUND
12-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Oak doesn't fare very well as fishing lures

thats b/c getting turned on a lathe hurts!
why do you think I didn't come to the shop!?!

JFigliuolo
12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Ramin is crap don't waste your money or time. Like I said plenty of places online that sell hardwood dowels such as birch maple etc. And I don't believe it's a FSC certified wood-they rape the bazoons out of the forests for the stuff....very destructive. What isn't from overseas though. Rape and pillage anything they can all for the $$.

Last I checeked HD is sellin FSC certified wood. Mostly after catching crap for not dooing it. I'm pretty sure the dowels are Eucalytus(sp). They aren't the best. But they turn well and are satifactory if sealed well. I used them when I started and they worked well. I sealed w/thinned epoxy and had zero adhesion/splitting issues.

Rockfish9
12-14-2009, 09:01 AM
a word about Oak... it depends on the Tree... red oak, is extremly pourus with a heavy open grain and is hard to seal to keep it from splitting... white oak is often used in the marine industy to make pilings, the stuff never rots and is considerably less porous...seal it well and it will work for darters , conrads and slope heads...

Poplar, can be used but is extremly sensitive to water... unless it is sealed well it will split like a log through a splitter..I've used it for darters that are not through drilled and utilized screw eye or eopxy pocket hard ware attachments...

Maple and birch dowels are availble at quality lumber yards,wood craft or through McMaster Carr and are a far better choice for heavier deep swimming plugs...