View Full Version : Travel & Hotel sites

Slingah
12-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Does anybody here use any of these on a regular basis? I'm just looking to book a room and it is getting confusing. I am referring to Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, etc.....any tips,recommendations or ones to stay away from?

RIROCKHOUND
12-16-2009, 09:00 AM
I like Priceline, name your own price. HOWEVER, if you are trying to stay at a specific brand, or more specifically a specific location, go with one of the others. I like it, you can usually save a few bucks. If not, I use expedia. . But if you just need to stay in say, Portland, ME and don't care what part of the city, type in the # of stars and save a few bucks

Side-step is another, that checks a whole bunch of sites, but I find that is better for airfare.

RIJIMMY
12-16-2009, 10:53 AM
I constantly use travel sites and prefer expedia for booking but use tripadvisor.com to research. They have tons of user reviews and you get a good feel for the place. I had a very bad experience with Priceline. I used their bid process for a hotel in NYC for my family - wife and 2 kids. There was a warning that they only guarantee accomodations for 2 and that you have to contact the hotel. I didnt think that would be a problem, bad move on my part. With the bid process (you know the Shatner gig) you pay up front before you know the hotel. Well I got a good rate...BUT this hotel ONLY accomodates 2 people in the room, they have no rooms at all that have 2 people. I had a 3 hour battle with priceline and the hotel to finally get refunded. I wont do that again. Expedia has good rates.

JohnnyD
12-16-2009, 11:05 AM
I use them every time I travel.

I haven't noticed one that always seems cheaper than the other, and not all of them will have the same locations. It's a little tedious, but I'd suggest searching through a bunch of different sites.

Also try kayak.com.

RIROCKHOUND
12-16-2009, 11:37 AM
I agree re: tripadvisor to get reviews if I am booking a specific hotel.

Slingah
12-16-2009, 02:12 PM
thanks guys....
trip advisor is great for reviews...

basswipe
12-16-2009, 04:40 PM
I've been using Expedia since 1999.No issues,great deals.

Jenn
12-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I never go anywhere afar but went to Vegas a couple months ago...we booked the whole trip on Southwest Airlines site and all went well.
Originally we tried to book with Orbitz and all we ended up with was a maxed out credit card and no trip to show for it even though I was charged for it 3 times :smash: (long story and even an longer story to get it straigtened out...I will refrain from telling you the painful details)

spinncognito
12-16-2009, 06:55 PM
I have used expedia and travelocity with no problems. I like trip adviser but do not take the reviews too seriously as people vary greatly on what aggrivates them. I have stayed at hotels that were decribed as "filthy" and had "pathetic" customer service and had positive experiences. Once you find a deal on a travel site, before booking it call the hotel direct and they may be able to book you even cheaper.

quick decision
12-16-2009, 07:30 PM
If you come at them with the angle your on business and there is more comming there way most places will negotiate. Be creative.