View Full Version : rediculous story about how the feds are trying to step on the Commercial fishermen

Nebe
12-16-2009, 11:57 AM
sad

WBZ-TV Video Archive - wbztv.com (http://wbztv.com/video/?id=84342@wbz.dayport.com)

Nebe
12-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Typo.. I meant to say 'step' not 'stop'

striprman
12-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Seems like the business owner is getting harassed.

Islander77
12-16-2009, 02:55 PM
My father has a sticker as so many others do that reads.... " NMFS Destroying fishermen and their communities since 1976" Now you know why...

The Dad Fisherman
12-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Typo.. I meant to say 'step' not 'stop'

All Fixed for ya

PRBuzz
12-16-2009, 03:16 PM
This is Part 2, can anyone find or did you see Part 1? It was broadcast on the earlier news @5:30PM yesterday. Actually out on a comm boat from Gloucester. Highlighted that should a boat exceed its daily quota all the excess catch becomes crab feed (dumped back into the sea live or DEAD). Boats are only permitted to fish 10-20 days a year under current guidelines.

Islander77
12-16-2009, 05:07 PM
This is Part 2, can anyone find or did you see Part 1? It was broadcast on the earlier news @5:30PM yesterday. Actually out on a comm boat from Gloucester. Highlighted that should a boat exceed its daily quota all the excess catch becomes crab feed (dumped back into the sea live or DEAD). Boats are only permitted to fish 10-20 days a year under current guidelines.

14-28 depending on were actually and what days at see they are on and, if this and that, and big brother government official got some the night before.... And yea everything over quota is crab food folks.. A guy in Stonington Burough a couple years ago landed his legal fluke.. Took all the excess and was gonna DONATE IT TO A HOMELESS SHELTER... CUFFED, STUFFED , AND COURT... over fish that was all ready dead...

numbskull
12-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Gee I miss inshore cod fishing. Kind of colors how I look at these issues.

Slingah
12-16-2009, 05:41 PM
I saw last night and just watched tonites report on wbz4...
the guys fish house had 11 cod 1/2" short out of 5000 and they fined him $350.000 :smash: and the raid was for something that happened 4 years prior......this stinks like B.S.
How can the feds do this to this guy???!!!....

sokinwet
12-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm all for rational enforcement but I know I have measured and re-measured "close" fish and have found that 1/2" is easy to lose when the fish is dead, stiff and been in the bottom of the box all day. In my fw bass tournament days I saw many a weighmaster measure a fish on both sides..one side it was a keeper the other, not.

Islander77
12-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Watch the video again notice those fish have been headed and gutted??? That 1/2 inch could of been lost right there... But yea 11 outta 5k and a 350k fine and close shop for 120 days!!!! that is 4 MONTHS... well I know if its a first offense on boat captain and owner for boat comin in heavy on monk its a 30 Day tie up boat and captain+ 5 Days at sea you can never get back once your landings are off and a 200k fine.... then lawyers come in... ends up costin ya 30 day tie up and over 100k in fines.....

MikeToole
12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Like most of the wbz stories told half the story with a slant.

Their right in that regulations are destroying commercial fishing. They've allowed continued over fishing to try an keep commercial fisherman from going totally out of business. All their doing is causing a slow death. Their trying to spread out a depleted resource and in so doing making things worse. They need to let the fish recover and reduce the number of commercial fisherman so that the ones that are left can make a real living. But even more important we could be getting far more cod from the ocean if we let them recover and controlled the take.

The catch limit and the need to throw back fish comes directly from rules design to spread out the catch. They want to limit the catch and make sure if the boat goes over their limit they can not gain from it. So the regs set up a situation where dead fish are thrown back. Fish regulations at there best! Total lack of imagination on the part of the regulators.

Nebe
12-16-2009, 10:21 PM
I wonder how many juvinile cod are eaten by dogfish :hmm:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

big jay
12-17-2009, 12:17 AM

I think your supposed to refer to them as "endangered" dogfish -- after all the treehuggers are going after a CITES listing for them as well.

If someone turns the NMFS bumper sticker into a T-shirt - let me know. I'll take 2.

Duke41
12-17-2009, 06:59 AM
NIMPS...WIMPS. Out of control. What a bunch of entitled gov Nazi's.

Dick Durand
12-17-2009, 08:00 AM
It is ridiculous. There are certainly issues within the commercial industry, and the health of the fish stock is an ongoing concern. I'm always troubled by the by-catch waste, a better system is needed. In this case enforcement does, in fact, seem "over zealous".

Awesome John
12-17-2009, 01:29 PM
I know that look on "both" their faces,

the Nimf guy was on the take, asked for more "protection" payoffs the auction house guy got tired of being sucked dry and stood off and was bullied to keep up paying...

The reporter says that the nimfs agency "keep all the fines they issue" and you tell me what kind of stupid law is that? It will bring out the greed in everyone..

this whole thing stinks of corruption...
In the end the fish are getting slaughterd and the greedy parties are fighting over the bounty.. Thats what this is all about...

Islander77
12-17-2009, 09:14 PM

I think your supposed to refer to them as "endangered" dogfish -- after all the treehuggers are going after a CITES listing for them as well.

If someone turns the NMFS bumper sticker into a T-shirt - let me know. I'll take 2.

Nebe the dogfish are destroying the cod stocks actually but... If any of yall fished cod daily on the cape ya would know that you cant run through the water without the dogs bouncing of the hull they are up there so thick after the cod.... The fisheries managment on this coast is a joke if they just gave each boat a weight limit " quota" all good oh well what do i know... And BIG JAY ask and you shall recieve bro....

National Marine Fisheries ServiceDESTROYING fis... Hoody from Zazzle.com (http://www.zazzle.com/national_marine_fisheries_servicedestroying_fis_ts hirt-235536523941626868)

intrepid24
12-17-2009, 09:28 PM
i read that the reason the nmfs has been so far off with the dogfish is because they use data collected from "bottom" trawl scientific observations, and do not take into account mid-water or surface numbers.
but can they really be that incompetent ?

Islander77
12-18-2009, 09:39 AM
but can they really be that incompetent ?

This was a joke right??? Like seriously you are being sarcastic??? They been Incompitent since 1976.. The Dogfish thing is caues they are a protected species lol... So now they are regulated to whats NMFS says is safe catch... Well here is an Idea they should try to long line for Cod... and watch the dogs take the cod and Haddock off the lines...

RIROCKHOUND
12-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Cafe Press.com
easily done.

big jay
12-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the Link Islander -- gettting myself a Christmas present.

Say Hi to your dad for me.

Islander77
12-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Will do Jay ill be talking to him this week... PM me some info so I tell him the right person lmao...