View Full Version : rain shadow blanks

dannyplug1
12-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Went to the rodmakers today. Decided on a rain shadow instead of a lami does anyone out there have experience with the rain shadow blanks? thanks

eskimo
12-17-2009, 01:06 AM
My current favorite setup is a SW. Held a SU the other day that made me second guess the lami SS I was interested in.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mike Oliver
12-17-2009, 09:45 AM
dannyplug1

I am intregued as to why you have chosen the Rainshadow blank. Can I ask you why, having chosen this blank why you want our experiences. I ask because your question kinda suggests that just maybe you don't know a lot about this blank yourself which kinda leads me to thinking why did you buy it, especially after all the info on the Lami's you had from the guys. If that is the case might it have not been better to ask us before shelling out cash than maybe wondering if you have done the right thing. If I am right then we all just wasted our time which is a tad frustrating. If I got it wrong then sorry.

Mike

dannyplug1
12-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Mike no disrespect intended. I went to the guys that I have known for 25 years (I used to work with him at a horrible job) and he convinced me that the rainshadow would do the job. Still worndering if I made the right choice. I certainly didnt mean to demean or insult those who were kind enought to post in regard to my questions. Charlie G.

Jigman
12-17-2009, 12:09 PM
What blank did you get? What Lami were you looking at getting? Plugs, bait, jigs, surf, canal, boat? I'm sure some of the folks here could give you better feedback if they knew more about the blank and how you intend to use it.

I have several Lami surf blanks and like them. Also have several of the Rainshadow SW that I use on the boat. They have worked real well too.

Jigman

Saltheart
12-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Some of the rainshadows feel nice , I have built a few but haven't fished them. Of course I built lots of allstars which soem clain the rainshadows are modeled after.

Anyway , I'm also curious which one you went for and how you plan to use it.

afterhours
12-17-2009, 06:56 PM
just built a rainshadow 1387, what a long casting rod......

dannyplug1
12-18-2009, 09:43 PM
The rod I am getting made at CMS is a rainshadow su 1208. I want it to be able to throw an optimal weight of three to three and three and a half ounces, and to be able to throw up to four and a half on occasion. My pal at CMS suggested the rainshadow and since he has built many rods for me in the past I am asking around about that blank. Does anyone out there have practical experience with the SU 1208 or lami vs Rainshadow. Thanks Charlie

dannyplug1
12-18-2009, 09:44 PM
I will be using the rod from the surf and with a VS 250. thanks for your help I appreciate it/ Charlie

Saltheart
12-28-2009, 02:17 PM
SU1208 is a nice blank. Really good at 3 but 4.5 oz is too much IMO.

afterhours
12-28-2009, 03:30 PM
SU1208 is a nice blank. Really good at 3 but 4.5 oz is too much IMO.

ditto what he said...

dannyplug1
12-28-2009, 08:26 PM
What do you guys think the max weight that can be "comfortably" thrown with the su 1208. What do you think the sweet spot ,best every day throwing weight is? Thanks Charlie Gregory king of small striped bass.

Mike P
12-28-2009, 09:59 PM
My 1208 is an All Star. I don't have any concerns about throwing 5 oz on it. 3-4 is a fastball in its wheelhouse ;)

dannyplug1
12-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks Mike and every one else you have helped me make a decision that I feel good about. Cant wait to get the SU 1208 in my hands next spring. Lets hope its a short winter. Charlie

MikeToole
12-30-2009, 09:50 AM
I think when your looking at blanks Lami, Rainshadow, and Pac Bay (an others) are all quality blanks. Now one model may be better suited for a specific purpose, but from a quality standpoint they are all good.

I have the SU1208 and it's a good rod. I've used it with 5 oz and it works well. Now I'm 60 and can not load a rod like some guys but it gets it out there.