View Full Version : A Peoples History of the United States

Tagger
12-20-2009, 06:33 PM
I saw a theatrical documentary of this book on the History channel yesterday . Not the sugar coated history we learned in school . The book was also referred to in the movie "Good Will Hunting ". I guess it caused quite a stirr when it first came out .. since its sold 2 million copys ..

RIJIMMY
12-23-2009, 11:44 AM
synopisis - you live in a bad, bad country, run by bad, bad people, doing bad, bad things.
It won a major award in France, they love hearing how bad, bad, bad the United States is. In fact, after you read the book, you can quote Michelle Obama and say that you are finally proud of your country!

spence
12-23-2009, 01:14 PM
synopisis - you live in a bad, bad country, run by bad, bad people, doing bad, bad things.
It won a major award in France, they love hearing how bad, bad, bad the United States is. In fact, after you read the book, you can quote Michelle Obama and say that you are finally proud of your country!

And everybody thinks their own %$%$%$%$ don't stink...

-spence

Nebe
12-23-2009, 01:21 PM
I think fubar is a better description than bad...:(
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockport24
12-23-2009, 02:34 PM
yeah this should be in the political section cause this book is incredibly controversial!
Zinn is famous for these very well-thought out and well-supported criticisms of the American government. (I'm not endorsing it, just sayin!) but he does make ya think!

spence
12-23-2009, 03:18 PM
yeah this should be in the political section cause this book is incredibly controversial!
Which is sad when you think about it.

The funny thing about books like this is that they expose a big falacy of conservative thinking...a very selective interpretation of history, which is important, as conservatives, by their name want to conserve the past.

If the past isn't as rosy as they'd like to think it is, well, then they need to behave like liberals.

The reality of course, is that conservatives behave like liberals all the time, they just don't want their friends to see it happen.

-spence

fishbones
12-23-2009, 03:28 PM
If the past isn't as rosy as they'd like to think it is, well, then they need to behave like liberals.

The reality of course, is that conservatives behave like liberals all the time, they just don't want their friends to see it happen.

-spence

Kinda painting with a broad brush there aren't you , Spence? Conservatives "need to behave like liberals"? Are you the peson who now decides how people must act? And isn't it possible for a conservative to be socially liberal but fiscally conservative? Or for that matter, a liberal can be liberal in many ways, but might be conservative when it comes to their views on abortion.

Anyways, happy holidays! I'm staying out of the political nonsense for the next few days.

spence
12-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Kinda painting with a broad brush there aren't you , Spence? Conservatives "need to behave like liberals"? Are you the peson who now decides how people must act? And isn't it possible for a conservative to be socially liberal but fiscally conservative? Or for that matter, a liberal can be liberal in many ways, but might be conservative when it comes to their views on abortion.

Anyways, happy holidays! I'm staying out of the political nonsense for the next few days.

I'm not telling anyone what they must do, just commenting on my observations.

-spence