View Full Version : Athlete of the year ?

Raider Ronnie
12-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Jimmie Johnson Wins Male Athlete of the Year (http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/sports/dpg-Jimmie-Johnson-Wins-Male-Athlete-of-the-Year-mb-200912211261418184348)

Not trying to knock the sport (i'm a casual fan)
But someone explain to me what makes a race car driver an athlete ???
:confused:

Duke41
12-21-2009, 10:33 PM
agreed

FishermanTim
12-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Having the Associated Press vote for athlete of the year would be like MAD Magazine voting for the Nobel Prize.

I bet if every news organization voted for their "athlete of the year" you see quite a variety of winners.

Who would Playboy pick? Or GQ, or Popular Mechanic?
Maybe if the voting were geared more towards athletic news publications and reporters, we'd get a more well-rounded result.

Personally, I don't see car racing as a sport.
A job, maybe, but not a sport.

Nebe
12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
This guy... Hands down.
http://a.fsdn.com/sd/firehose/007/907/400-1.png

MarshCappa
12-22-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't consider myself a racing fan though i do occasionally watch some of the bigger races. I would definetly consider these drivers athletes. Consider the risk they put themselves at and the speeds and distances of the races there is a considerable amount of mental as well as physical endurance needed to compete at that level. I know I couldn't drive 200mph for 500miles wearing a flame retardent jumpsuit on 150 degree track in the middle of the summer with no AC. Like all other professional sports they make it look easy and effortless but there is some serious skill out there. My hats off to them and I have no problem with a driver getting athlete of the year. Hasn't Tiger won that? I would venture to say that there are some people that believe golfers aren't athletes either.

ProfessorM
12-24-2009, 10:43 AM
surprised it isn't a poker player. I am so sick of seeing friggin people playing cards on TV, sports TV channels. Rather have a rectal examine with a cactus than watch that crap.

striperman36
12-24-2009, 10:54 AM
surprised it isn't a poker player. I am so sick of seeing friggin people playing cards on TV, sports TV channels. Rather have a rectal examine with a cactus than watch that crap.

Yeah, poker is really a spectator sport for sure.

striperman36
12-24-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't consider myself a racing fan though i do occasionally watch some of the bigger races. I would definetly consider these drivers athletes. Consider the risk they put themselves at and the speeds and distances of the races there is a considerable amount of mental as well as physical endurance needed to compete at that level. I know I couldn't drive 200mph for 500miles wearing a flame retardent jumpsuit on 150 degree track in the middle of the summer with no AC. Like all other professional sports they make it look easy and effortless but there is some serious skill out there. My hats off to them and I have no problem with a driver getting athlete of the year. Hasn't Tiger won that? I would venture to say that there are some people that believe golfers aren't athletes either.

You gotta be in shape to as stated above. I used to race karts, and even a 30 lap feature is a challenge. You are on the edge the entire time.

Micheal Schuamacher in F1, literally brought a gym and a trainer to every track, his workout routine would make any pro sports athelete walk away exhausted.

Mark Martin works out 6 hours a day 6-7days a week. the guy is 50. in amazing shape. He almost one it yet again.

basswipe
12-24-2009, 02:51 PM
I'll explain.

Nascar racing in itself defines competetion.Its so tight its scary.

43 men/cars everyweek.

Possibilty of death very possible,Adam Petty,Kenny Irwin,Tony Roper and Dale Sr.to name a few who have died.

How about going 500 miles in a car that's so hot to be unbearable.Drivers literally lose several pounds during a race.These
guys white knucke race almost every week,Daytona and Talledega will scare the crap out of most.

All this means you must be physically fit to say the least.

JJ just won 4 cups in a row=ahthlete of the year.