View Full Version : need to seal the deck in the spring.

MrHunters
12-22-2009, 09:40 PM
my boat is supposed to be a sealed hull but i have my doubts. I need to paint the deck in the spring and re caulk all the spots that water could get in. the boat came with rhino liner which has some imperfections.

What would be the best way to paint over the rhino liner while adding a "sealant" to the deck?

CaptMike
12-23-2009, 09:35 AM
I guess this is an aluminum boat? Epoxy paint works well for decks. The two part ones are good but EZ epoxy one part is pretty good too

MrHunters
12-23-2009, 04:18 PM
its fiberglass, catamaran.

The rhino liner has a few pin holes in it that I'd like to seal up. Rhino liner won't touch marine applications as warranty items.

CaptMike
12-24-2009, 10:48 AM
O ok I've never seen rhino in a fiberglass boat, that's a good idea. I used epoxy paint on my sailboat that was developing small cracks in the deck gelcoat. It seems to keep the water out and is a lot cheaper than regelcoating.

afterhours
12-24-2009, 05:40 PM
durabak makes a poly based product that would be perfect for you- it's made for marine applications.

MrHunters
12-25-2009, 08:25 AM
i was looking at that product. i've seen comments both ways about it... either they love it or it was a nightmare to put on. I might give it a shot. was thinking of changing the deck color to gray anyway, this would be a good time to do it.

White rhino liner is tough to keep clean!

afterhours
12-25-2009, 09:10 AM
durabak comes in both smoot and non-skid, i used the non-skid and it went on pretty easy. also used 3m 4200 chaulking- great product.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/boat-fishing-boating/59212-ah-skiff-complete.html

MrHunters
12-28-2009, 08:34 AM
thank AH. well done on the skiff! :cheers: