View Full Version : Modifying a Bomber

basswipe
12-26-2009, 09:02 AM
One of the plugs I received yesterday was one of the Heavy Duty saltwatergrade Long As(16A).Three sets of trebles seems excessive.

I could crush barbs but its still three sets that get into places on a fish where they shoudn't.Eyes and gills being a good example.

Does removing the middle set affect its action?

quick decision
12-26-2009, 09:45 AM
I remove the middle set of hooks on many of my larger lures and have not noticed any more or less action. To me it makes sence. I fish a lot at night and I dont want to be pulling three hooks out of a thrashing bluefish.

Raven
12-26-2009, 09:48 AM
oh gee
i thought you were talking about a sex change for a terrorist :rotf2:

quick decision
12-26-2009, 09:52 AM
oh gee

I was worried he wanted to cancel the ice fishing turniment:grins:

basswipe
12-26-2009, 02:18 PM
oh gee

Not a bad idea for that idiot in Detroit.Lop'em off I say!

basswipe
12-26-2009, 02:19 PM
I remove the middle set of hooks on many of my larger lures and have not noticed any more or less action. To me it makes sence. I fish a lot at night and I dont want to be pulling three hooks out of a thrashing bluefish.

That was kind of my thought too.Three sets of trebles at night is way to much to deal with.

tlapinski
12-26-2009, 03:18 PM
I modify the 6" bombers in two different ways. They either get a 1/0 6x treble front and back (skip the middle hanger) or 1/0 6x trebles on each belly hanger and a flag tied with small hackles on the tail.

Clogston29
12-27-2009, 09:56 AM
2/0 front, nothing middle, 1/0 tail swims good and alittle deeper. Works well and 2/0 hold fish much better than 1/0 IMO.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Zeal
01-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Do you guys only remove the split rings on Bombers or do you remove split rings on other lures such as Chug Bugs? I despise split rings.

Actually, forget that, what lures do you guys NOT remove the split rings from? I was told only Spooks utilize split rings, the rest can be done away with.

Thumper
01-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Do you guys only remove the split rings on Bombers or do you remove split rings on other lures such as Chug Bugs? I despise split rings.

Actually, forget that, what lures do you guys NOT remove the split rings from? I was told only Spooks utilize split rings, the rest can be done away with.

if the plugs came from the mfg with split rings i will usually keep them depending on hook size and if the rings are junk or not. all of my plugs with single dressed tail hooks are attached via split ring. if you are using a quality split ring you shouldn't have a problem.

i mod my bombers same as clogston

Rob Rockcrawler
01-17-2010, 09:35 AM
I agree, if a plug came with split rings it keeps em. The only time i go without is when the hooks marry.

piemma
01-17-2010, 10:21 AM
I put split rings on all the plugs I make. I believe that a swinging hook give the bass less of an opportunity to get a "purchase" on the hook and either straighten it or rip it out.
Try playing around with a hook on a "ring" as opposed to a hook on a swivel. You will immediately see the difference. I had this conversation with Habs Sr. 14 or 15 years ago and we agreed. That's why you don't see Hab Sr. plugs without split rings.