View Full Version : Van Staal Noise

chefchris401
12-26-2009, 01:37 PM
So I serviced my VS 250 on christmas morning, insides were black or very discolored. Ive had the reel for 7 months and fished it hard. But always rinsed it off and have taken as best of care with it. Ill post pics of the insides later.

There was moisture on the inside plate that attaches the handle, a few drops of water.

It makes kind of an eggbeater noise, not a grinding or metal to metal noise but its noisy while your retrieving. It cast and reels fine and has landed a ton of fish.

It makes less noise with the reel vertical or pointed down than it does horitonaly.

I serviced the reel hoping it would elimante this, but it did not. Its quiter but still very noticeable.

I watched and followed the video very closely and seeing it was doing this before I opened it, i would think its the reel and not me. None of my other reels make any noise what so ever. I've had 2 of them for 4 years.

Its a VS 250, silver, made in china model, 7 months old.

Any ideas or suggestions??? Ive already sent an email to Craig at VS.

Mike P
12-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Take the line off the roller and crank the handle. If it doesn't make that whirring noise, it's your line roller bearing. If it still makes the noise, it's an internal bearing.