View Full Version : Janet Messineo to speak at CT Surfcasters Feb Meeting

wader-dad
12-29-2009, 03:35 PM
I usually don't post the CT Surfcasters' monthly speakers but we are very excited about Janet Messineo agreeing to come all the way from the Vineyard to speak at our Wednesday February 3rd meeting. Weather permitting the Ferry to run that day.

For those who may not know of Janet- she is sort of a legendary figure in the Vineyard and the Derby. There are chapters on her in Reading the Water, On The Run, and more recently The Big One plus she is in all other kinds of paper and TV. She has been the owner of Island Taxidermy and Wildlife Art Studio for many years. She specializes in saltwater fish Taxidermy and her work is pretty amazing.

She is going to talk about Surf fishing the Vineyard or whatever else she feels like.

The meeting is free as are all of the meetings and you do not have to be a member. Its in Madison Ct at 7 pm. It should be a good time and you should all come. You would see some guys you know.

Let me know if you need directions.

JohnR
12-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Always interesting to see Janet speak (and her art) and always good company to go to a CSA meeting :btu:

May need to travel for that one ;)

piemma
12-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Can you post and address?

PaulS
12-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Always interesting to see Janet speak (and her art) and always good company to go to a CSA meeting :btu:

May need to travel for that one ;)

If you go, I'll go.:love:

wader-dad
12-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Meeting Location is at 87 Surf Club Road, Madison CT. If you are coming down 95 you get off of exit 61 which is Route 79. At the end of the exit you make a left on Route 79 and go about a half mile until you get to Route 1. You make a right on route 1 and go around 3/4 of a mile and make a left on West Wharf road. Near the end and before you hit the beach- right on Surf Club. We are in the building near the circular drive way. See attached map and Bing Birds eye of the spot burn.

Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qwbxg08yftsd&scene=15339797&lvl=1&sty=b&where1=87%20Surf%20Club%20Rd%2C%20Madison%2C%20CT% 2006443-2909)

thewaterfordstriper
12-29-2009, 06:51 PM
nice job lining this one up Rob.

wader-dad
12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
nice job lining this one up Rob.

Brian- Turns out that a new Member of the Club knows Janet well and did all of the asking- so I did not have much to do.

Big Thanks to Aram B for making it happen.

Zeno
12-30-2009, 04:40 PM
She is a gem..I think you guys are in for a treat
She wrote a piece for our March edition of the Surfcaster's Journal...I think a trip to MV might be in order to meet her in person :)

wader-dad
12-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Z- Well if she is even half as good as you were when you spoke at the club, we are in for a treat.

Hows that for some good a*s kissing?

Zeno
12-30-2009, 06:00 PM
thanks but that was easy...I was just following the notes my wife wrote for me and you guys ate it up:)

fishy07
12-31-2009, 10:58 AM
thanks but that was easy...I was just following the notes my wife wrote for me and you guys ate it up:)

:rotf2:

I think I'm going with Toby to this one. It sounds interesting. :)

Swimmer
12-31-2009, 12:10 PM
You guys are really fortunate to have Janet come and speak. I have known, not known her, who she was and is for thirty years. I first met her in 1986 the year after I bumped her from third off the board in the shore bluefish category in the derby. My friend Larry, who worked at an auto parts store in Vineyard Haven and I parked on the wharf in Edgartown and we walked onto the dock to see how the wharf rats were doing. My buddy Larry set me up perfectly. He knew Janet from the store he worked at. So he and I walk up to Janet, who was fishing hardas usual, and he says hello to Janet. Then Larry says to Janet, "this is my buddy Frank who knocked you out of third off the board the last day of the derby last year", and without missing a beat she said, "your the %$%$%$%$%$%$%$". Well since then she always had/has time to chat with me or anyone else who spoke to her. She wont tell you her spots, but she will tell you if your pants are on fire, I think.

BasicPatrick
12-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Janet is Great People...a freid for a long time...Great call!!!!!!!

wader-dad
12-31-2009, 03:14 PM
This link- if I did it right shows her working on a skin mount and her work. She loves to fish.

Janet Messineo - Island Taxidermist - 6/6/08 - Vineyard Gazette Online (http://www.mvgazette.com/article.php?16640)

Jen - glad you are coming. I think our new member Mary is going to bring some of her fisherwomen friends. Maybe more females than usual in the room:uhuh:

fcap60
12-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Nice work CSA.

I'm pretty sure Janet was fishing to the left of me the last time I was on the vineayard. I'll try to attend this meeting as well.

fishy07
01-02-2010, 05:32 PM
This link- if I did it right shows her working on a skin mount and her work. She loves to fish.

Janet Messineo - Island Taxidermist - 6/6/08 - Vineyard Gazette Online (http://www.mvgazette.com/article.php?16640)

Jen - glad you are coming. I think our new member Mary is going to bring some of her fisherwomen friends. Maybe more females than usual in the room:uhuh:

Now I definitely hope I can make it. It would be great to meet her :)

Crazy Alberto
01-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Seven years ago Ron Arra and I had the great honor to meet Janet Messineo at her MV house and I was completely at awe with her taxidermist work!

Her works was mesmerizing to say the least and her fishing knowledge was equally as impressive! If only my schedule permitted me to attend her speaking engagement… I would go because there is much to learn from her! Without a doubt, this is a rare engagement and a must attend. Please send her my regards! :)

“Crazy” Alberto
Nonstopfisher@optonline.net

agsurfr
01-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Yep--she's a peach! Really looking forward to hearing her insights. Janet is well respected and embraced by a group of fishermen that are...not very forthcoming, shall we say. She gained that respect through hard work and results. It'll be a well worthwhile talk.

ab

wader-dad
02-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Janet's talk is this Wednesday night. Just a reminder. Please come. All are welcome.

Mr. Sandman
02-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Very interesting gal. Should be a good meeting... She has lot of stories and donates a lot of her time to the fishing community and to those less fortunate. (good fishermen too!)

I saw her yesterday! I picked up a tiny mahi she mounted for me. I scooped up the little fellow while on on overnighter on the edge...(several came into the lights one night) they were chasing tiny flying fish during the day a couple flew into the cockpit... which I also gave her. One more thing for the man-cave:)

Mr. Sandman
02-04-2010, 01:19 PM
How was the meeting?

wader-dad
02-04-2010, 10:11 PM
How was the meeting?

We have a speaker every month and many are "how to" speakers who give really good information. Every so often we are privileged enough to have someone who with immense passion and humor and by their experiences reminds us why we love surfcasting so much.

She spoke for about an hour and a half-mostly answering questions about the people she fished with, pond openings, the Derby, the Rip, staring down skunks, "Orvis" fly guys, ripping heads off squids, white dannys, lag tides, burying bass in the sand, history, learning, pain, don't ever give up.

" You can fish the same beach for 30 years, but one night the boogie man is there and when he is there - there is nothing you can do about it- you feel spooked and you gotta leave"

I tell you if guys had rods with them, they would have run to their trucks after the meeting and be casting all night.

She is an incredible sweet person- Nothing else to be said.

agsurfr
02-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Well said, Rob.

ab

pbadad
02-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Rob you summed up the entire meeting. Janet's knowledge, humor and realness made for an extremely entertaining night. Rob and Aram, Kudos for a job well done.