View Full Version : help me w/ flaptail mouths

Christian
02-19-2003, 01:01 PM
I dont know how to make the mouths on flaptails. ive seen plenty of pics and tried a search but nothing came up on hot to make them. i know it probally takes the use of my sanding drum kit like for pikies but the shape on the flaptails is hard to make. i tried it on a few scrap pieces but cant get it right.
slip-
you made them for the swap, how do ya do them?

Slipknot
02-19-2003, 01:25 PM
Christian I used the round end of my beltsander to form the nose just like I do on pikies. I think drum sanding disks would do also.
Go slow and keep checking it. Mine didn't come out perfect but close enough for fishing.

It takes practice to get it right, you are wise to test on pieces of scrap like broomstick handle or something.

Christian
02-19-2003, 01:30 PM
ahhh, the round end of the belt sander. i dont have a belt sander so theres a problem.
i think that my drums are too small to cover the whole mouth at one time. it leaves 1/4 of the mouth uncut from where the drum was. ill find a bigger drum maybe that'll work.

Fishpart
02-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Christian,
Try making a drum on your lathe. Make a cylinder the right dia, drill it to accept a carrige bolt, put the nut and washer on top and glue some sandpaper on with double faced carpet tape or even white glue. Chuck the threaded end of the bolt in the drill press and off you go. watch out the heat you generate as you sand may soften the glue on the tape.

Christian
02-19-2003, 05:32 PM
fishpart-
i think ill try that, thanks.