View Full Version : MA Fishing License Q&A

PRBuzz
12-31-2009, 02:59 PM
To all MA Recreational Fishers;

Beginning January 1 2010, those who fish in salt water are now required to be registered with either the Federal Government.

The Simple Truth for MA Anglers is that:
In 2010 – Massachusetts saltwater anglers must register for free with the federal government;
In 2011 – Massachusetts saltwater anglers must buy a permit from the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries.

The following list of questions and answers is taken directly from the MA Division of Marine Fisheries Web Site. Please read the following and then take steps to get yourself registered. This information will be posted on the MSBA.net web site and published in the msba newsletter. Please help MSBA spread the word and tell your friends.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Massachusetts Recreational Saltwater Permit Program
Q1. I plan to fish recreationally in saltwater in 2010, would I need to register with the federal government or would I be required to get a Massachusetts fishing permit?
A1. In 2010 anglers must register with the National Marine Fisheries Service, the federal fisheries agency. Register beginning January 1, 2010 online via Marine Recreational Information Program (http://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov) or by calling 888.MRIP.411 (888.674.7411).

Q2. How about in 2011?
A2. In 2011 and beyond anglers will be required to apply for a recreational fishing permit issued by the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries. Stay tuned to our website (Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries (http://www.mass.gov/marinefisheries)) for updates on the permit program.

Q3. Will there be a fee for any of this?
A3. There will be no federal fee for registering in 2010, but anglers who fish in non-exempted states in 2011 will be charged up to $25 for the federal registration.

Q4. What is a non-exempted state?
A4. A non-exempted state is one that has not implemented a saltwater recreational registry or permit of their own that fulfills all requirements of federal law.

Q5. Is Massachusetts exempted or non-exempted?
A5. Since Massachusetts has not yet implemented a permit program, it will be non-exempted in 2010, so the federal registration is required. But it will implement a federally compliant permit program in 2011 and then it will become exempt from the federal registry.

Q6. How much will the state permit cost in 2011?
A6. The proposed state permit fee is $10 for residents and non-residents alike.

Q7. How would I get a state permit in 2011?
A7. In 2011 the Massachusetts permit will be available on-line, through some retail outlets like bait and tackle stores, by mail, and in person at Division of Marine Fisheries offices in Gloucester, Boston, and New Bedford.

Q8. Does every person in a family need to register or just the owner of the boat?
A8. Everyone 16 years and older will need to register in 2010 and procure a state permit in 2011; there is no private boat or family permit category that covers a group of individuals.

Q9. Who is exempt from paying fees or exempt from registering/permitting?
A9. Anglers who are younger than 16, or disabled, or who fish only on permitted for-hire vessels like charters boats or head-boats, do not have to register in 2010 or obtain a state permit in 2011. Anglers that are 60 years and older will need to obtain a state permit in 2011 but there will be no fee.

Q10. Tell me how the law applies to people fishing on charter or head-boats.
A10. Only the charter or head-boat operator will be required to register in 2010 and purchase a permit in 2011. Anglers fishing on a properly permitted for-hire vessel will not be required to register in 2010 or obtain a state permit in 2011.

Q11. Is the 2010 deadline to register to fish January 1st, or can you register anytime prior to fishing?
A11. You can register at any time during the year, as long as you have registered before you go fishing.

Q12. What if you do not register with the federal government this year and wait until next year to purchase a state permit; would you still have to register with the federal government first?
A12. No, state permitting will be independent and in place of the federal registry.

Q13. If you have a federal tuna permit and only fish for tuna or only fish in federal waters, do you still need a state fishing permit in 2011?
A13. Yes. If you land in Massachusetts, regardless of where the fish was caught, then you’ll need the state permit even if you possess a federal permit.

Q14. Who enforces the law?
A14. The Massachusetts Environmental Police and US Coast Guard will have enforcement powers.

Q15. I already have a Massachusetts commercial striped bass permit. Does that cover me if I am recreationally fishing?
A15. No. If you are fishing under regulations that apply to recreational fishermen, then you will by required to register federally in 2010 and have a state recreational fishing permit in 2011.

Q16. I am not a Massachusetts resident, but I often come to Massachusetts to fish for saltwater species. I have a recreational saltwater permit from my home state. Do I need another permit from Massachusetts?
A16. That depends. If the state you reside in recognizes the Massachusetts permit as a valid permit for recreational fishing in their waters, then Massachusetts would afford the same privileges to properly permitted individuals from that state. However, if your state of residence does not accept a valid Massachusetts permit for recreational fishing in their waters, than you would be required to purchase a Massachusetts permit to recreationally fish/land in Massachusetts.

Q17. Why is the government creating this recreational registry?
A17. The reason for the registry is so we can get better data on recreational fishing. Managers need good data to make the best decisions possible on bag limits, seasons and sizes. The current data collection system is very inefficient and imprecise because there isn’t a “phonebook” of active anglers on which to base surveys.

Q18. So if you are looking to get better data, will I need to file a catch report?
A18. No. The registry will give us an up to date list of recreational fishermen. Several times during each year a random subset of this list will be surveyed by phone and asked to provide information on their fishing trips and catch.

MSBA Government Affairs Officer
BasicPatrick@aol.com
http://www.msba.net/ (http://www.MSBA.net)

ProfessorM
01-02-2010, 09:17 AM
one quick question. If you hold a comm. bass license do you need to reg.? I did reg. anyway but was curious about this.

never mind i just noticed ques. 15.

Finaddict
01-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks PRBuzz - hate to get my personal information on another government list ... but looks like we have no choice.