View Full Version : 2010 Federal Fishing License Needed

blaruffa
01-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Looks like we have to register for this this year until the Mass State License comes out. You'll need new federal fishing license in 2010 : Martha's Vineyard Times : December 31, 2009 (http://www.mvtimes.com/marthas-vineyard/news/2009/12/31/federal-fishing-license.php)

MakoMike
01-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Not for nothing but the woman who wrote that article doesn't know what she is talking about. You only have to sign up for the federal registry is you are fishing for Andromus (Sp?) fish. i.e. Striped bass, smelt or shad, you can fish for anything else without any federal registry requirement as long as you aren't fishing in Federal Waters.

blaruffa
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
So if we are fishing Horseshoe Shoals or certain parts of Nantucket Sound for Stripers then we are effected.

MakoMike
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
So if we are fishing Horseshoe Shoals or certain parts of Nantucket Sound for Stripers then we are effected.

If you are fishing for stripers, yes you are affected. I don't know those two locations, but keep in mind that it is against the law to fish for striped bass in federal waters.

angler management
01-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I just followed the link that was in the article. www.countmyfish.noaa.gov

It took less then 2 min to register and print out the little temporary card.
It said I would get a perminant one in the mail in 30 days.

Since it's still free at this point, it's little impact on me.
I see no downside. (Yet)

FishermanTim
01-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Except when they call you to find out what you caught, how many, how you caught them, where you caught them and probably a few dozen more "cencus" style questions.
Of course these will be random calls, so they will do absolutely nothing if they just happen to call a lot of fishermen who didn't fish much.
If they ask to for information on your "last" trip, and that was a month back, how accurate will their studies be, and how can the effectively use that information?

Mr. Sandman
01-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Here is the way I understand it...It is a state by state thing. If your state does not have a plan...then you are suppose to register with the feds. If your state has a plan they are "exempt" and you don't have to register with the feds. If you live in MA we don't have a plan implemented so for 2010 we have to register. Not just for SB for anything! That is the way I understand it. I doubt many people will register for this. The fines are vague for not doing so.

I would bet 90% of the people fishing in 2010 will not have a permit. Also, if stopped they will say they never heard of such a thing. This is still widely unknown. Will the cops fine you ???doubtful. In theory it would work and be helpful if everyone registered and reported, but from a pragmatic standpoint this will not the case.

You need to put a sign in every bait shop at every launch ramp and at every marina or every access point. STOP!! YOU NEED A LIC TO PUT ANY KIND OF HOOK IN THE WATER, FINE FOR NOT DOING SO: $10,000 FOR FIRST OFFENSE.

Really, it is going to take something like that to make people motivated to do it.

Free now but it will cost about 25 bucks later.

What about charter boats? Head boats? are they going to charge their clients another 25 bucks to fish for a day?

outnumbered
01-06-2010, 09:29 PM
If you fish with a highly migratory sopecies angling permit you do not have to register either. The website listed by angler management will tell you if you need to or not.

MakoMike
01-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Here is the way I understand it...It is a state by state thing. If your state does not have a plan...then you are suppose to register with the feds. If your state has a plan they are "exempt" and you don't have to register with the feds. If you live in MA we don't have a plan implemented so for 2010 we have to register. Not just for SB for anything! That is the way I understand it. I doubt many people will register for this. The fines are vague for not doing so.

What about charter boats? Head boats? are they going to charge their clients another 25 bucks to fish for a day?

If you are talking about the Federal requirements, you are only required to register if you fish for striped bass, smelt, or shad or you are fishing in federal waters. Persons fishing on a federally licensed charter boat do not need to register.

If you are talking about MA - I have no idea :confused:

angler management
01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
I agree with FishermanTim,
I can't recall what I did yesterday, never mind a week ago.

I'm just going to plead drunk.
That fishing trip in July?, ya, we caught about 2 cases of empty beer cans.
See how that goes over

I trailer my boat and fish out of Rye, NH most of the time. I got checked 3 times this year by Fish and Game when taking the boat out. Twice they looked through every hatch on the boat. Laid out and measured every fish.

It still was only 5 min extra to my day. Not a big deal.

I figure what's a phone call, although I agree it's all hear say. I guess anglers can unite and all claim we catch nothing. Well, except Dog Fish. tell them we catch lots of dog fish so they can get rid of them.