View Full Version : Brown-nosers

basswipe
01-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I loose again because I refuse to live in another man's anus or engulf his unit.

Whatever happened to pride and integrity?

afterhours
01-05-2010, 05:48 PM
man rule #1 - never swallow...

BigFish
01-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Not a "Ball-Washer" BW? Good for you!! :uhuh:

PRBuzz
01-05-2010, 06:46 PM
You never know........or maybe you did?

Tagger
01-05-2010, 07:31 PM
no "Nut Hugger" here... Feel your pain ... all my life .. No "Bus Driver" either .. Have seen many move up the ladder of success using thier co-workers as rungs..I'd have more respect for a person if they had sex with themselves on the Red Line ...

Swimmer
01-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Ditto on all the above

JohnnyD
01-05-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm glad I don't have to deal with office politics anymore. I feel for those that do. When I worked at the ambulance company, I refused to get involved with the crap - did my job as best I could, many were better than I was and many were worse. Always seemed the ones who did the worst kissed ass extra and would get special treatment.

Unfortunately, pride, competence and reliability have been replaced by ass kissing and backstabbing.

The Dad Fisherman
01-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Unfortunately, pride, competence and reliability have been replaced by ass kissing and backstabbing.

Ass-kissin and Back Stabbing (Ask Caesar) are NOT new concepts......they've been around since the dawn of man.

There are still plenty of people that practice pride, competence and reliability...as evident by everybody that is chiming in on this thread.

JohnnyD
01-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Ass-kissin and Back Stabbing (Ask Caesar) are NOT new concepts......they've been around since the dawn of man.

There are still plenty of people that practice pride, competence and reliability...as evident by everybody that is chiming in on this thread.

I'm not saying that Ass-kissing and backstabbing are at all new, or that the three positive concepts are extinct. But pride, competence and reliability can no longer be a safe expectation from companies/employees. These concepts are slowly being removed from the workplace just like 'courtesy and acceptance of personal liability' are being removed from society.

The tragedy is that the bulk of society, the media and politicians accept (and in many cases promote) these changes.

FishermanTim
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Most politicians eat, sleep and breath these negative virtues If you can call them that.
We, as a society, seem to have relinquished our responsibilty to the greater powers of "political correctness", so that instead of being wrong for the right reasons, we'll be DEAD wrong because we were forced to be. Instead of doing what is right, regardless of the circumstances, we do what is "popular" because we can't offend someone's rights, someone that wasn't qualified to be in that particular position but was put there because of what they are, not what they know. (affirmative action and nepotism)

Sure, it's been going on for decades, if not centuries, but in out current times it ends up having more disasterous results with many more lives at stake. I tell my friends, family and even co-workers that if I screw up, I own up. That way I can go on with a clear concience. Yes, I do tell "little white lies" from time to time, but it's usually to spare someone's feelings. Otherwise I try to be responsible and truthful, which results in much less stress in my life.

Oh, and I continuosly instill this in ALL my neices and nephews (as well as my love of fishing).

OK, I'll step off the soapbox and give someone else a turn.

The Dad Fisherman
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
We've become a "Bitch, Blame and Sue" society.

RIJIMMY
01-06-2010, 12:02 PM
wow, this truly is the grumpy forum! Come on, its the new year!
I've been there a 1000 times and work in an industry full of blowhards and ass kissers, and yes they always get ahead. I've seen people who are terrible human beings and even worse employees rise through the ranks quickly.
Integrity is the most important thing in the world and I will NEVER compromise that, EVER.
It took me years to be able to say the following. Maybe its maturity, maybe its experience- so take it or leave it, but here is some advice. You can keep your integrity, your values, and your pride and still find a way to "play the game". "The game" is a necessary part of social life, its how humans have evolved, you can choose to ignore it, but it will not go away. Face it and deal with it. So many workers are pissed that they dont get what they want yet, they never ask for what they want. Its your responsibility to state your goals and an action plan to get you there. Dont expect ANYTHING. Make things happen and more importantly make sure people know you made it happen. there is no guilt in blowing your own horn. If Jimi Hendrix spent his life playing in his basement, would anyone know who he is? In the end be you, but be aggressive, be honest with what you can and cant do. Are you a leader? do you take chances? Do you want to be who you would have to be in that position? Take charge of your destiny and make it your own, but realize "the game" exists and win it.
An I know its corny, but no truer words have ever been spoken - you only lose when you fail to get up and try again!

fishbones
01-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Very well said, Jimmy.

It's easy to make excuses as to why others have better jobs, better cars, better looking spouses, etc.... Hey, blame it on everyone else and you can bitch and moan about it. If you're not happy with your situation, change it. I'm not saying that it's wrong to be pissed off when a brown noser gets promoted or whatever over you. But, if you're in that position, learn from it and don't let it happen again.

Big news flash here.......The real world sucks. Ethics and pride will only get you so far.

Joe
01-06-2010, 01:07 PM
If Jimi Hendrix had spent his life playing in his basement, would anyone know who he is?
Hmm....

basswipe
01-07-2010, 04:21 PM
lickers are in every facet of life.I've done two things in my life...military and construction and both are full of these people.

I've had enough.I now look out for ME and nobody else but ME.

PaulS
01-08-2010, 08:41 AM
All of the comments are well thought out, and show extreme intelligence. I have heard that your all very handsome and great fisherman.

basswipe
01-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Sorry Slip.