View Full Version : Living in, working from, and fishing from an RV

reebok
01-12-2010, 01:27 AM
I've been toying with the idea of living in an RV this fishing season so I can go and fish wherever I want close to great fishing. I know it's crazy and more of a dream but I'm going to an RV show this winter to check them out. So just maybe. As far as work goes I do most of my work remotely via the internet so all I need is a solid internet connection.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Mr. Sandman
01-12-2010, 07:42 AM
One word of advice: DO IT! (while you still can)

DZ
01-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Reebok,
Make sure to check the local laws about parking RVs in the areas you plan on fishing. I know here in Newport its illegal to park RVs on local streets. You may have to attach a chase vehicle to your RV.

DZ

JohnR
01-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Agree on the attached vehicle. Probably no better time than now due to cost of equipment.

Internet could be tough.

PRBuzz
01-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Internet could be tough.

Check with your phone company for a USB wireless internet receiver or enable built-in laptop wireless. I know Verizon, T-mobile and AT&T offers serivce but be prepared to pay a hefty monthly fee.

slow eddie
01-12-2010, 08:33 AM
think about leasing for a year. do it now while your still rather young/
would this be considered a portable gulag?

Joe
01-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Rent one and try it for two weeks. The people I've known (2) that have bought new ones said the per trip costs when they factored in everything was more expensive than staying in hotels - but they were still living in their homes. If you can pay cash for a used one it might be a better proposition.

allchumdup
01-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Go to rv.net, Lots of stuff on this subject.---LOUIE

JohnnyD
01-12-2010, 10:04 AM
$40-60/month for mobile broadband connections. Broadband access anywhere you have cell service. In some cases, you can combine the card onto the same plan as your cell phone for a discount. Check out the Verizon site. Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Overview (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/)

piemma
01-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Agree on the attached vehicle. Probably no better time than now due to cost of equipment.

Internet could be tough.

No problem with the internet as long as $60 a month doesn't bother you. I have a broadband modem from Verizon that I used all the time. It was basically $59.95 a month for unlimited use. There actually were some limits but I gave a ton of presentations where I couldn't get an internet connection due to bank firewall constraints and I never blew out the $60/mo.

Mark, go and do it while you can. You will regret it if you don't because you may never have a better chance.

reebok
01-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Couple of shows to go to now ...

Jan 15-18 Bayside Expo
Feb 12-15 Big E
Feb 26-28 RI Conv. center

Yeah used is the way to go. Hopefully there's a killer deal out there somewhere in this economy. That would seal the deal.

JohnR
01-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Many mobile "unlimited" Internet plans are limited to 5-10GB /er month. If he is doing remote support it might be dicey to not blow through that on a monthly basis or even have a good enough signal quality to make reliable remote access connections...

Portable Gulag :rotf2:

Good luck Markski - hope you can make it work :btu:

reebok
01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Hey John thanks... I'll keep you guys posted.

gone fishin
01-12-2010, 08:51 PM
:sled:You would be wise to contact a few MBBA members. They and United Mobile Sportsfishermen will be able to fill you in on locations and accessibility. Communications is the least of your problems.:sled:

fishsmith
01-13-2010, 08:27 AM
I agree with Sandman "DO IT!!" life is short.

I think you can park in Walfart parking lots for free.

BasicPatrick
01-15-2010, 12:20 AM
I suggest going for dreams but doing the footwork ahead of time...a great way to get info is sped some time at the Spring MBBA beach clean upse etc...there is a lot and I mean a lot of info on campers, motor homes etc etc. Many have done what you are talking aobut for a long time.

Also search truck camper magazine on line...a great source of info