View Full Version : just bought....

Anthony
02-20-2003, 01:34 PM
i just bought one of those new Berkley lip grippers, you know the one that you push down the piece on the handle and it opens the clamp then you let it go and it clamps onto the fish's bottom lip. I had to buy my dad something for his birthday so i figure why not get myself something too :D . It is just like the boga grip thats been on the market for about a hundred bucks but the berkley one is the same thing for only $30. I thought it was a good deal and figured i could greatly use it for handling the blues and also for handling stripers when it has two sets of treble hooks in its mouth from a plug. I tried to handle a decent sized striper last year with trebles in its mouth and it took one big shake and the hooks almost went through my finger, not fun. So i just wanted to let all of you guys know about my new purchase and was wondering if anyone had used these before and how well the worked.

Anthony

JohnR
02-20-2003, 01:43 PM
They work pretty good - I use one and it definitely makes things a little easier - although if I were getting one now I'd chaeck out that Rapala Lock & Weigh - locking lipper plus a scale for a lot less than the boga

Van
02-20-2003, 04:41 PM
I liked those rapala gripper at the SB night.

They look good and sturdy..

Christian
02-20-2003, 05:19 PM
arent those rapala grippers like $70 though? i got my friend one of the berkleys as a boat warming gift.

Young Salt
02-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Cabela's sells this plastic version......easy to find in a cluttered bag - it floats - it dosn't weigh the fish, but it has a hole at the end of the handle so you can weigh it with a scale. Best of all it only cost $10

mikecc
02-20-2003, 06:38 PM
The place were you got it should have given you a cupon book . In the book is a $5.00 rebate on the lip grip. If they did not give ya one let me know I have plenty of extras.

RockLobsta
02-20-2003, 06:52 PM
Anthony,

I have one of the berkley grips and it works great! Especially for blues. Don't leave home without it.........

fishweewee
02-20-2003, 07:09 PM
60 lb Boga. :smash:

macojoe
02-20-2003, 08:20 PM
I also Have the berkly one. It works good. I have had it for 2 seasons now. The only thing is that I have found is that it will slip on a heavy fish, to slove this problem I took my grinder and ground the inside of the jaw to points not reel shrp points but something that will dig in a little to hold that big fish a bit better. I have had no problem with sliping since.

Macojoe

Duke41
02-20-2003, 09:13 PM
I have a Berkley as well. Because of all the huge cows I catch every day:laughs:the thing was wearing out and the pin that holds the griping mechinism was comming out. So beware the thing fell apart on me with a fish on it. It was fixable by flatening out the pin to keep it from slipping out.

Mike P
02-20-2003, 09:22 PM
"Just like the Boga"?

Not hardly ;)

Megabyte
02-20-2003, 10:22 PM
Duke,

You're goin ta hafta slooooow down catchin those cows :-)

ragfly
02-21-2003, 07:29 AM
I am with young salt. I have used the Cabelas Fish Gripper $9.99 for the past two seasons. I have have landed hundreds of bass and blues with it and the thing is still good for this coming season. It also floats if you happen to drop it in the water. Best $10 I ever spent! I have about 10 friends that own them now.

Anthony
02-21-2003, 10:14 AM
Macojoe, how big were the fish that kept on slipping? will this be a big problem for me?

macojoe
02-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Anthony
The fish I catch are general 20 to 30 pounds and some higher. I do this comercial and it gets alot of ware. I have also had the pin fall out like Duke41. I had to return the first one I bought as the pin was falling out rt from the get go. But with the one i have now I just hamered it a little. Like they say you get what you pay for. This is a greaat item for weekend fishing even a little more, But for me comercial my next one will be a Boga.
Macojoe