View Full Version : Fun with Braid

Zeal
01-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Any fellow braid users find any difference in lure action by just tying the line straight to a swivel where the lure is attached for ease? Or is direct line tie to the lure favored more? For direct line tie I mainly use the Palomer knot or Uni Knot (aka the Grinner Knot) on the lure. Anyone try a Bimini Twist or Spider Knot for braid (I never attempted it on braid, only used it with mono)?

Any way of not shredding up the casting finger without needing a glove or piece of leather? I destroyed my index finger that way last season and still have a callous from it!

I think the braid I have is Power Pro at the 25lb range, would the 30lb. mono be a decent shock leader if I really feel the need for it? Any good line to line connection knots that won't hinder casting distance?

Overall, I see the surf regulars using mono with heavier mono but I outcast them by a mile and have outfished them because of that distance. Swivels are favored by many but for me I have little trust for hardware since that is one more thing to fail when you get into a serious fish. The connection knot seems to be another thing that could fail and lose my precious toys if I do that. Anyway, that is my reasoning.

Any input?

moosh
01-16-2010, 06:59 PM
I use powewr pro 20# also , I tie directly to the lure ,like you said eliminate as many week links as possible , for the finger I use a bande aid on my index finger works well or you could use a piece of tape. When I throw big plugs Ill put 40# mono leader on i use a 80# swivel . I just cant get back to using mono on a steady basis, the braid sets the hook better , and you can chuck them lures a mile, the only thing I dont like are the wind knots I seem to lose half my line by the end of the season.

Zeal
01-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Wind knots always are a consistent downside to braid, caught a good amount of fish with wind knots in the line however haha

niko
01-16-2010, 07:16 PM
are you using a leader. braid really needs one if your around any rocks or structure at all. i use swivels as a connector from braid to mono on my spinning setups and a breakaway or snap/swivel to the plug. even on my ultralight setups i've moved up to 40# braid to avoid the windknots. as far as the finger, pick up a roll of hockey tape. for a leader - 50# mono. most of the time the water up here isn't very clear and stripers for the most part aren't very line shy

moosh
01-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Ive lost alot of plugs to wind knots, I go into a little shock when I see my favorite lure go sailing off to Davey jones locker......

Zeal
01-16-2010, 07:44 PM
I never keep wind knots in the line, it just happens on a cast where one forms and a fish ends up nailing the lure on the retrieve to fix the setup ><

Niko: no I just use braid.Period. The beach I fish is all sand with no rocks whatsoever. But wouldn't the swivel hinder the cast and act like a "knuckle" in the line?

Thumper
01-16-2010, 09:26 PM
50# ande for leader for me. you guys that don't use leaders are nuts :)

gone fishin
01-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Z - are you using a spinning or conventional reel? I use conventional reels and bring the leader right back into my reel. I use either suffix or power pro 30 to 65 lb test depending on reel an use. No swivel and a Crazy alberto knot to join the braid to mono (Ande Backcountry) in either the same test or in the case of the ditch I use heavier mono. A breakaway clip and I am good to go.

slow eddie
01-17-2010, 09:21 AM
whenever you fellow anglers are fishing narry, i implore you NOT to use a leader. helps keep my lure collection at a nice high level.

MAKAI
01-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Try gauzetex for your finger. It's a self adhesive gauze tape. hardens up like a little cast. I slice up my fingers all the time at work. This stuff is great.

Zeal
01-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Gauzetex...why didn't I think of that? Great call!

Gone fishin- For casting I use spinning, conventional I use on the meat stick which is mainly for boating. The conventionals I have aren't setup for casting.

redlite
01-18-2010, 02:07 PM
heavier braid like #50 PP will eliminate a lot the wind knots.
For a finger cover, Tlapinski turned me onto the finger condoms that they use in restaurants if you get a cut on your finger. Hold up well and don't affect your dexterity.